Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies

Options
  • 29-09-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi All,

First time leaving a recipe here, but I've enjoyed many of yours before!

I tried this recipe for gluten-reduced chocolate chip cookies at the weekend, and I have to pass it on- they were amazing :)

Be warned though, you do get a little tricked into thinking the flourless/butterless aspect makes them healthy so you can eat as many as you like! I can't include a picture because they were gone too quickly!

Ingredients
    • 1 1⁄4 cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1⁄2 cup + 2 tablespoons nut butter (I highly recommend using peanut)
    • 1⁄4 cup honey
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • Pinch of salt (unless your nut butter is already salted)
    • 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (I used a crumbled bar of 85% chocolate)
    Makes about 14 cookies

Method
    • Preheat your oven to 175°C
    • Place all of the ingredients, excluding the chocolate chips, into a food processor and pulse until smooth (note: if you don’t have a food processor or mini chopper you could get by using an electric whisk).
    • Using a spoon, stir in the chocolate chips.
    • Using wet hands, roll the dough into small teaspoon sized balls and place on a greased baking tray.
    • Pat the cookies down flat slightly.
    • Bake for 10 minutes.
    • Enjoy!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They sound really good.

I've moved this into Cakes & Bakes because it's better suited, and we often get questions about gluten free baking in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get big tins of chickpeas in many asian supermarkets, often for a fraction of the price per kilo as supermarkets.

Also you could possibly use gram flour with some added water, which would save having to mash them up, and gram flour is often cheaper too. Not all gram flour is made from chickpeas, I have some made from some other grain/pulse which is meant to be very similar. Tinned chickpeas would be cooked and so would contain more water than flour so this would have to be figured out.

Also some gram flours are much higher in protein than others. I had one about 24% protein, more than chicken.

The high protein should make them more satisfying so you might eat less.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

For the nut butter part you say... 1⁄2 cup + 2 tablespoons nut butter
    Is that half a cup in addition to 2 tablespoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

Hi Rockiemalt,

That's correct. It's quite a lot of peanut butter, but it adds to the texture of the cookies :)

Advertisement