Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo...etiquette?

• 29-09-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi guys! Apologies if these are stupid questions, but I've got to ask somewhere!

Basically I've finally decided to get a tattoo and I have two tattoo artist in mind. Both work in a similar style and are based near by.
    My main queries are about etiquette. So I know what I want but obviously want the artist(s) to draw something up for me. Do I have to pay something up front before the artist starts designing? How much guidance do I give? I mean, I want it to be the artist's own design. Is it rude to contact two artists about the same piece?

Reading through that I feel a bit mad. And should probably just email the artists but I don't want to bother them or waste their time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Make a crude drawing of what you need and then approach each artist for discussion. Making an appointment to go over the drawing is fine, just ring them and get a 15 mins consultation.
    You can give as much input as you like, it's going to be on your skin forever.
    Once you have decided on one artist you can just let the other know you have chosen someone else. It's not a biggie.
    Payment varies but don't hand over money until you have decided on design and artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

biko wrote: »
    Payment varies but don't hand over money until you have decided on design and artist.

Most will want a deposit before they draw anything up, in order to ensure that they're not wasting their time doing so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

You could always offer to pay each for a drawing and go with the one you like best, worth it for something you'll wear for the rest of you life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I disagree completely. Decide who's style and work you like best, and then get them to design it. Tattooing is a full time job with long hours, and why ask someone to pour themselves into a custom design, only to be told it's not happening.

If it's a proper custom design, and you don't take it, is that something the artist can use? If not, chances are a drawing fee is small comfort.

Advertisement