Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay - what to look our for when buying 2nd hand

• 29-09-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

hey, i'm trying to pick up a pretty expensive lens second hand on ebay... I don't use ebay much so just checking what should i be looking out for as regards sellers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

TTWNF wrote: »
    hey, i'm trying to pick up a pretty expensive lens second hand on ebay... I don't use ebay much so just checking what should i be looking out for as regards sellers?

Private seller or big shop ? Lots of feed back with not one negative is generally what I look for. Even one negative is enough for me generally to not bother. Read a few of the neutrals as well just to see what the story is. Even with all this buying on EBay is a crapshoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Somebody who has been a seller for a while, good feedback on its own is not always a good indicator if all they have been selling was items for €2 or €3 and now they are suddenly selling expensive gear.

If I was buying something expensive I would probably be looking at the reputable stores, either bricks and mortar or online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

thanks guys...

it doesn't seem like a shop ..... from what i can see anyway!

A lot of different electrical items sold according to his history ..... all from around 50 to 200 euros work. This item is valued at over 1000 euro and i would be saving a lot by buying it. Should i be worried?

Do you mind me asking what you are buying? or could you post a link to the seller?
    If you dont want to post it public you can always pm it.

just PM'd you there!

• Advertisement

looking now, be with you in a few minutes

thanks much appreciated

Probably not what you want to hear but If it was my money I wouldn't for a couple of reasons
    There is a fair bit of negative feedback, about 1 in every 70 transactions in the last 12 months
    Due to the sellers location (assuming you are in Ireland) you will be hit for customs when it enters the country.
    The ad seems to imply a camera / electronics store but that does not match with a some of the feedback sales like bras and car parts.
    Even though the price is low now it still has not hit the reserve price.

thanks .... i figured there was something up as all the good the other good he is selling are camera equipment yet all the feedback is for items like as you said... something not right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

Just going to hijack this and ask for thoughts on the item under "Canon EOS T3i 600D DSLR Camera Body + 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit! New Sells From UK." I can't post links as I'm a new user. It's the store with the 600D and a blue background. It costs £329.99.

Debating whether to go for it. I can't find it cheaper anywhere else and need a DSLR that's got great video by mid-October, but preferably asap.

• Advertisement

Just going to hijack this and ask for thoughts on the item under "Canon EOS T3i 600D DSLR Camera Body + 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit! New Sells From UK." I can't post links as I'm a new user. It's the store with the 600D and a blue background. It costs £329.99.

Debating whether to go for it. I can't find it cheaper anywhere else and need a DSLR that's got great video by mid-October, but preferably asap.

This the one?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-T3i-600D-DSLR-Camera-Body-18-55mm-IS-II-Lens-Kit-New-Sells-From-UK-/261571216390?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3ce6dc0406

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I wouldn't go near them with a 10 foot long bad feedback pole. Despite what they say I'd imagine the stock is all in HK, they probably ship to someone in the UK who ships it on. They're grey market imports so you won't get your european warranty (how does Canon do that ? Is it camera bodies aren't covered internationally ??) so any returns or repairs will be problematical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

This the one?

Tis the one indeed!

Just saw Daire's post. Thanks! I've €430 at the moment but I'm not paid for another few weeks, so hopefully I can borrow off someone to buy one that's not on eBay before then!

Advertisement