Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southill

• 29-09-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Grew up in Limerick, in my 30s now. I realised recently that not only have I never been to Southill but I'm not even sure where it is! Perhaps I can be forgiven as I'm from the northside of the city and didn't have a car until recently.

I was thinking of going for a spin up there just to have a look around. What's the best way to get there from the city centre? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

The best way to go there is bareback on a piebald. giddy up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not much to see up there really. Houses, some of which are boarded up. Green spaces where there used to be houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My advice is stay well clear. Passed through there with my uncle before and to say we were uncomfortable was an understatement. Every single person in the area was giving us dirty looks as we were unknown to them in a car they weren't used to seeing.

I know of other people that have passed through and had their windows smashed in their car.

I don't want to sound like I'm totally disrespecting every person that lives in southill as there is still some good people living in there, a few I know of myself but if you don't have any business in there then I'd advise you stay clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I pass through it once a week to bring my kids to bawnmore and I am not afraid. I mean not nices of places but not the worst. Wouldn't go up at night

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

This is what Google maps was invented for! Type in Donough O'Malley Park and go for a walk about. To drive there go to the Roxboro roundabout and head out the Fedamore road, it is on the left down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

You could also pass the Roxboro roundabout and follow Childers rd and take a left by the Maldron hotel and that whole area is the Carew park estate in Southill.

You're from the north side yes? Look at moyross. South hill is more or less the same thing. If you want to have a look at an area that is very different to what you're used to, I reccomend the hill in rathkeale at Christmas time. It's interesting to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭893bet

1) There is not alot to see. A couple of boarded up houses burnt out. 3 Were knocked this morning.

2) You will be safe. The chances of your windows being broken are no higher than any where else. (Source, I am not local to area but live there now and pass in and out 2-10 times a day without incident).

3) Be careful of kids aged 3-12 especially. Some (and i mean i minority) can be slow to move off the road and act as if they own it. I wouldnt do anything silly like shout at them if you suffer road rage as then they might fire a stone at you.

4) Keep an eye out for wandering horses/ kids on horses.

5) Call in for a cup of tea and some food to the southill area centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Seriously... why are you going to see Southill ? Its not a Zoo with exhibits to be gawked at. Its a residential area, a community, albeit with a high deprivation score, but these houses are peoples homes! Families, children older people all live there......the same as any other community...
    Unless you are going to do something beneficial for the community or have a specific purpose then you have no business visiting Southill, Moyross or any other community to satisfy your own voyeuristic needs!!!... And yes before you ask I lived there as a small child, until my family moved elsewhere, and some of my dearest and oldest friends are also from Southill... Some who even live on the "Northside of the City":eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Munstermad wrote: »
    Seriously... why are you going to see Southill ? Its not a Zoo with exhibits to be gawked at. Its a residential area, a community, albeit with a high deprivation score, but these houses are peoples homes! Families, children older people all live there......the same as any other community...
    Unless you are going to do something beneficial for the community or have a specific purpose then you have no business visiting Southill, Moyross or any other community to satisfy your own voyeuristic needs!!!... And yes before you ask I lived there as a small child, until my family moved elsewhere, and some of my dearest and oldest friends are also from Southill... Some who even live on the "Northside of the City":eek:

Isn't that one of the big problems that places like Southill have though? As soon as the residents get the means they up sticks and move out. And then the ones who aren't as ambitious or successful or whatever are the ones left behind, and that only aids the spiral of decline. I'm not sure what the solution is though.

• Advertisement

I agree zulutango the government incentive my parents availed of in the 80's which from what I remember was a type of buyback scheme, where the local authority bought back my parents house and/or offered a grant to move to another area merely served to add to the social problems already being experienced by the area. (My parents both worked and owned their home, which was an achievement considering Limerick was being ravaged by the last recession at that time) Those who were in a position to leave did just that, and those who remained were people who wouldn't or couldn't move for whatever reasons, and the local authority filled these "bought back" houses with more people dealing with the same life struggles... A devastating decision by the local authority as the incentive simply ghettoised the community, and broke Southills amazing community spirit. As for those who did leave, who could blame them??... They took the opportunity with a view to providing a better life for their families.. As would most people... Sadly for Southill.. It was left to slowly decay and die over the last 40 years, such a shame... As for the regeneration, don't get me started...too little too late!! IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Great answer! Cheers.

Regeneration seems to have been a sham from the outset, I agree. A lot of people made a lot of money, and we're still in the same situation as we were when it kicked off.

zulutango wrote: »
    Great answer! Cheers.

Regeneration seems to have been a sham from the outset, I agree. A lot of people made a lot of money, and we're still in the same situation as we were when it kicked off.
    Yep... the fat cats are now morbidly obese f*****s, and the community still have the same issues to cope with, which are now compounded by an environment that looks like a warzone, with derelict, half knocked houses scarring the landscape... :(

Sorry, zulutango, am ranting here and you are obviously pretty close to the matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Munstermad wrote: »
    Hey. There was nothing voyeuristic about my intentions. Just that it is a rather large area of Limerick which I have never seen and I grew up here.
    If I had said that I had never been to Corbally and wanted to have a look around there would be no dispute. Why can't I treat it like anywhere else? I wasn't going to see the deprivation.

Some of the comments on here made me a little cautious but I was hoping to ignore the negative things people are always saying. I know Moyross fairly well and it's much better than people make out.

Your comments on the other hand just make me feel like I am not welcome.
    893bet wrote: »
    1) There is not alot to see. A couple of boarded up houses burnt out. 3 Were knocked this morning.

2) You will be safe. The chances of your windows being broken are no higher than any where else. (Source, I am not local to area but live there now and pass in and out 2-10 times a day without incident).

3) Be careful of kids aged 3-12 especially. Some (and i mean i minority) can be slow to move off the road and act as if they own it. I wouldnt do anything silly like shout at them if you suffer road rage as then they might fire a stone at you.

4) Keep an eye out for wandering horses/ kids on horses.

5) Call in for a cup of tea and some food to the southill area centre.

Sounds great. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

When I was in college in Dublin one of my classmates took a bus trip out to see Ballymun. She'd heard the stories in the media and wanted to see for herself. I think sometimes our understanding of the issues faced by a community is improved by visiting the area and getting a true sense of the scale of the area, the physical layout etc.
    I have been to Southill several times in the last couple of months ... Its not scenic. Let us know what your impressions of the place are if u go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

There was a 5k run on there last year starting at the community centre. A mate and me decided to go. There's very few houses left up in o malley park but the whole community was out in front of their houses supporting all the runners as they passed.

We done a lap of o malley on our own before the race and all the kids were out running and riding piebalds alongside us. Causing no harm.

It gets a bad rep but I saw a different side to it than the media portray. I have had more trouble in so-called better areas in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

we left there in the 80's as well, still have pals up there. Our house is still there thankfully but all the houses around it don't exist anymore unfortunately.

Sad how it was left to decay and the powers to be arrived with their plans to knock it down and follow the guidelines of Chicagos ghettos, knock it down and rehouse people throughout the city.

Very shortsighted, but where to now? any chance of a few businesses opening up there? grants for local enterprise? a jobs initiative for the lads finishing their leaving cert this year? allotments? i know there are some programs on the southside, but surely with the promised money, it should or could have been allocated holistically instead of towards outside demolition companies making a mint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Grew up in Limerick, in my 30s now. I realised recently that not only have I never been to Southill but I'm not even sure where it is! Perhaps I can be forgiven as I'm from the northside of the city and didn't have a car until recently.

I was thinking of going for a spin up there just to have a look around. What's the best way to get there from the city centre? Any advice?

Why no car till now...did mammy drive you around. Does she still buy your underwear too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Doom wrote: »
    Why no car till now...did mammy drive you around. Does she still buy your underwear too?
    I walked. Lack of money at first. Death of a close family member in a car accident didn't help. Older you get the more nervous you are. Few too many drinks last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Doom wrote: »

Miserable post.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Posts have been infracted and bans handed out, please don't bring additional focus to problem posts. Thanks

Advertisement