Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Season Ticket

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

celticbest wrote: »
    As previously explained, it you reach the Final in Hurling you play 8 Games, if you reach the Final in Football you play 9 Games one game of a difference, both codes get there 1st championship game for free after that it’s pay to watch.

Counting the other game in a Double header is a load of crap, I only attend the game that Dublin Footballers are playing in as I'm a Football supporter.

As you point out in either case you get more games in football (sometimes much more) for the same price.

If you get to the league final as a football team, you will get 9 games, versus 8 in hurling.

In hurling you are only guaranteed 6 games, in football 7 (I think).

As I said in my original post, it is farcical that Hurling tickets cost as much when less games are included.

Taking the extreme example of Kilkenny hurling v Dublin football, much more games are included (over double the amount for the same price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

adrian522 wrote: »
    As you point out in either case you get more games in football (sometimes much more) for the same price.

1 more. Work out the Maths!

SEE BELOW….
    If you get to the league final as a football team, you will get 9 games, versus 8 in hurling.

1^^^
    In hurling you are only guaranteed 6 games, in football 7 (I think).

1^^^
    As I said in my original post, it is farcical that Hurling tickets cost as much when less games are included.

1 game = €10 of a difference between Football and Hurling....
    Taking the extreme example of Kilkenny hurling v Dublin football, much more games are included (over double the amount for the same price).

You need to take like for like, Dublin got to the Final & Played 9 games, Waterford got to the Final & played 8. Dublin are not guaranteed 9 games, they're only guaranteed 7.

Again on a like for like example there is only 1 game difference for Football v Hurling Season ticket holders.

If you don’t get it at this stage you never will, 1 GAME, so ends my explaining the difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1 more is still more. At least it was last I checked. Charging the same price for less games is farcical. Not sure how you are failing to grasp this.It's not complicated.

In the case of Kilkenny hurlers, or Clare for that matter it is more than 1, significantly more.

I'm going to stop replying to you now because you are not making much sense but even if it is "just" 1 game more that is still significant and it should be reflected in the price.

Also the price of tickets are not €10 they are more than that unless you go looking for them in advance or some such arrangement.

I'd understand your point if thew hurling season tickets were €10 less than the football ones but they are not.

1 more is still more. At least it was last I checked. Charging the same price for less games is farcical. Not sure how you are failing to grasp this.It's not complicated.

In the case of Kilkenny hurlers, or Clare for that matter it is more than 1, significantly more.

I'm going to stop replying to you now because you are not making much sense but even if it is "just" 1 game more that is still significant and it should be reflected in the price.

Also the price of tickets are not €10 they are more than that unless you go looking for them in advance or some such arrangement.

I'd understand your point if thew hurling season tickets were €10 less than the football ones but they are not.

:eek: AS STATED, MY EXPLAINING IS OVER, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SEASON TICKET THEN DON'T RENEW IT, NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I have being saying it for the last year or 2. The season ticket has been deminishing in value since it was first introduced in 2009 when I first bought it. I think in the first year I had saved €140 or something like that (I will have to go back and check the number of match's) I think it was 2011 before I finally convinced a lot of my mates to buy into it. It was the following year when Mayo county board copped onto it and introduced their own version for €200.

When I first got it, it cost €70 and league match's cost €15. This year it cost €85 to renew and you can buy league tickets in supervalu for €10 the day before a match. Season ticket still lets you into semi and final league, and also club finals (which I do send off to the first request every year).

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I have being saying it for the last year or 2. The season ticket has been deminishing in value since it was first introduced in 2009 when I first bought it. I think in the first year I had saved €140 or something like that (I will have to go back and check the number of match's) I think it was 2011 before I finally convinced a lot of my mates to buy into it. It was the following year when Mayo county board copped onto it and introduced their own version for €200.

When I first got it, it cost €70 and league match's cost €15. This year it cost €85 to renew and you can buy league tickets in supervalu for €10 the day before a match. Season ticket still lets you into semi and final league, and also club finals (which I do send off to the first request every year).

Yeah, it's pretty poor value in fairness now. The one thing that brings me back every year is knowing I won't be begging every fecker in the county for an All Ireland ticket come September.

I'm not sure but I think I could have gotten to all the Kilkenny league games and the first championship game for the same price as the season ticket, so no saving there.

Then the fact that I missed a couple of games makes it even worse.

Standard of seats has been ok this year, 2 games in Croke Park, both fairly central, 1 in row K which is ok, but a bit far forward and one in KK which is just about perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

1 game = €10 of a difference between Football and Hurling....

Right. So why are they the same price?

Also, tickets cost 13 for the league. And there are lots of scenarios where you could get many more games in football (and more reductions in championship since you play more championship games in it).

But at the very least, by your own rationale, the hurling tickets should be 13 quid less than the football ones. But they're not. you can go all caps lock about it, but he was clearly just making the simple point that the hurling ones are less value for money.

Right. So why are they the same price?

Also, tickets cost 13 for the league. And there are lots of scenarios where you could get many more games in football (and more reductions in championship since you play more championship games in it).

But at the very least, by your own rationale, the hurling tickets should be 13 quid less than the football ones. But they're not. you can go all caps lock about it, but he was clearly just making the simple point that the hurling ones are less value for money.

NFL games this year were €10 if pre bought or €15 on the day?

If you care to read my posts there is only one game less in hurling compared to Football which equals €10.

PS. What about Dublin supporters who have season tickets for both codes, should they receive money back when both the Footballers and Hurler's play a double header seeing as it is the only county that seems to do this? Taking into account it is the DCB that push for these and not the GAA....

Now moving onto the Championship, there are more games in Football which in turn means it costs more to follow your team throughout the Championship, however both Football and Hurling receive the same discounts, 1st game free and all other games except for the Provincial and AI Final get €5 off...

So as I've stated already, if you have a problem with the Season Ticket don't renew it, nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you think it is better value to buy tickets on an individual match basis then do that, if you do then don't complain if your County gets to an AI Final and you can't get a ticket....

The overall point remains that the hurling ticket is not as good value as the football equivalent. This is obvious. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with that.

Also on €5 discount, surely more games =more discounts?

Kilkenny games only had one game with this discount applied (All Ireland Semi Final).

Also, there is no need to try and shut down discussion on this by saying if you don't like it then don't buy it. Everyone will make their own decision in that regard but it shouldn't stop people having a discussion on the subject.

The Season Ticket is not all about saving money, to me it is security of always having a ticket for every game, which to me is far more important than a few Euro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

The Season Ticket is not all about saving money, to me it is security of always having a ticket for every game, which to me is far more important than a few Euro...
    We'd all love to be in the situation where a few Euro is meaningless to us.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    We'd all love to be in the situation where a few Euro is meaningless to us.

:eek: €10.... less than 20 cent a week is really going to break the bank OMG I give up....

Nobody said it was really going to break the bank. only that the season ticket is better value for some than others. And possibly the prices should reflect that.

It doesn't seem that crazy an idea.

Nobody said it was really going to break the bank. only that the season ticket is better value for some than others. And possibly the prices should reflect that.

It doesn't seem that crazy an idea.

YOU THINK PEOPLE SHOULD PAY DIFFERENT PRICES FOR DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF MATCHES OMG I GIVE UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I agree with celticbest. Too me the season ticket is good value and hassle free. A email appears in my inbox, I log on and get my ticket. If Dublin get to the AI final I get the ticket in the post. I go to as many games as I can home & away so it is a no brainer really.

This season for a Dublin support the season ticket offers a saving of €60 over purchasing from tickets.ie or clubs etc. It may not be as big a saving as previous but for hassle free it is perfect.

aggR2KV.png

sgarvan wrote: »
    I agree with celticbest. Too me the season ticket is good value and hassle free. A email appears in my inbox, I log on and get my ticket. If Dublin get to the AI final I get the ticket in the post. I go to as many games as I can home & away so it is a no brainer really.

This season for a Dublin support the season ticket offers a saving of €60 over purchasing from tickets.ie or clubs etc. It may not be as big a saving as previous but for hassle free it is perfect.

aggR2KV.png

Good post, obviously good value in that case...

My own version (My table is not as fancy)

Game|Opposition|Cost|Season Ticket
    League|Cork|10|
    League|Dublin|10|
    League|Galway|10|
    League|Tipperary|10|
    League|Clare|10|
    League|Clare|10|
    Leinster 1/2|Wexford|25|
    Total||85|85
    Leinster Final|Galway|35|35
    AI 1/2|Waterford|40|35
    AI Final|Galway/Tipp|80|80
    Total||240|235

€5 saving if you attend every game (I didn't) but as I said previously the main advantage is not having to go looking for All Ireland tickets off people over the next month or so, takes all the stress out of that, even if I am likely to be in Row A near the canal end again, it's better than not having a ticket.

aggR2KV.png

Yeah, but you're a Dublin football supporter, that was the point Adrian522 was making, it's better value because you get more matches. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Yeah, but you're a Dublin football supporter, that was the point Adrian522 was making, it's better value because you get more matches. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Where did I say I don't understand. If you look at Adrian522 post he is making a small saving if all games are attended. So it is good value to be hassle free.

In the case I posted above it is a decent saving if you attend all games. I have attendance of 12/13 so far this season so missed one game. Therefore my saving is going to be €10 less than my post.

The season ticket is targeted to reward loyalty. That's why it was introduced. If you go to the games you deserve an AI ticket. If you can't make a game offer the ticket to someone else and have it used. That way you can keep your attendance up and recoup some of the money you may get charged regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

€5 saving if you attend every game (I didn't) but as I said previously the main advantage is not having to go looking for All Ireland tickets off people over the next month or so, takes all the stress out of that, even if I am likely to be in Row A near the canal end again, it's better than not having a ticket.

Out of curiosity, what section were you in for last year's AI final?
    And what section were you in for the Leinster final this year and the AI semi-final a few days ago?

And what section were you in for the Leinster final this year and the AI semi-final a few days ago?

I've been in section 302 since the Leinster Final as I'm using the bring a friend option. Otherwise usually between 305, 306 & 307.

• Advertisement

2014 AI:305 Row H
    2014 Replay:309 Row A
    2015 LF: 304 Row KK
    2015 Semi: 305 Row K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He did make that point but he also mentioned twice as many games more than once. He compared the amount of games you get if your county makes the league football final versus the amount a hurling supporter gets when their county does not make any of the hurling league finals

If it happened the other way around it would be better value for the hurling fans as Adrian said.
    Ended up saying it was just one game extra , but that developed over the posts.

If you are a Kilkenny supporter the season ticket has the added value of guaranteeing you an all Ireland ticket.

Also they can be considered good value for the top four in football as its a bit of a price and seat guarantee.

After that its not worth it imho.

To be really worth it you have to attend all the league games. There are other bonus games too. Dublin and Cork get the odd double header, the club final is free too, and I went to a couple of railway cup type matches for free .

One thing against it, adding friends etc gives terrible seats. You'd be better with a super value run of tickets.

If you have a chance of making the final it gets you there, it's an insurance policy for many that's where the value is in it for me.

Where did I say I don't understand. If you look at Adrian522 post he is making a small saving if all games are attended. So it is good value to be hassle free.

In the case I posted above it is a decent saving if you attend all games. I have attendance of 12/13 so far this season so missed one game. Therefore my saving is going to be €10 less than my post.

The season ticket is targeted to reward loyalty. That's why it was introduced. If you go to the games you deserve an AI ticket. If you can't make a game offer the ticket to someone else and have it used. That way you can keep your attendance up and recoup some of the money you may get charged regardless.

Fair enough, I'm on the season ticket myself, for KK as well. The guarantee of an All Ireland ticket if you make the final is handy and is, at this point, the main attraction, because the savings are practically non-existent for the hurling ticket at this stage, it's definitely less value than the football one. I'm pretty sure that was Adrian's only point, and I think it's a valid one. Celticbeast going off on one about how you don't have to get it if you don't want, doesn't change the fact that the thing is basically priced with football in mind, not hurling. It was great value when it came out first, served the actual purpose of a season ticket which is to incentivise attending games and also reward loyalty and frequent custom. I think they're trying to undermine it personally. The tickets we got last year for the All Ireland were woeful, I had friends from neutral counties who had far better seats. A ticket is a ticket (and this year they've been better), but again originally the season ticket put you right in the middle of the Cusack. Last year I'd have been better off in the Davin Stand than where I was, couldn't see anything in one corner of the field at all, was told Paul Murphy had a great first half but I had no idea.

Celticbeast going off on one about how you don't have to get it if you don't want

:D celticbest ^^

:eek: It's not about value, it about guaranteeing you have a ticket for every game.

In each code as stated before you get all league games through to the Final & your 1st Championship game is free, the difference between Hurling and Football is 1 game which equals €10.

In the Championship you play more games in Football compared to Hurling, however both codes receive the same discount of €5 off each game except for Provincial & AI Finals, what is so hard to understand?

If so many Hurling supporters have an issue with being 'over charged' for the League part of their Season Ticket then maybe you should start a petition to have the price lowered and send it onto the GAA Season Ticket team @ seasonticket@gaa.ie

Untitled_zpsxw9gfzph.jpg

Just looking again at what I posted above. If Dublin did not make the league semi final or final then the overall saving is €20.

Still to me if there was no savings I would still have it. It is hassle free particularly when it comes to September.

I have had mine since 2011 and with the exception when there has been an issue with cards I have not sat outside of 304-306. Great seats. Also the ability to create seating groups is a great addition. There is 10 of us that sit together for all the games.

:D celticbest ^^

:eek: It's not about value, it about guaranteeing you have a ticket for every game.

In each code as stated before you get all league games through to the Final & your 1st Championship game is free, the difference between Hurling and Football is 1 game which equals €10.

In the Championship you play more games in Football compared to Hurling, however both codes receive the same discount of €5 off each game except for Provincial & AI Finals, what is so hard to understand?

If so many Hurling supporters have an issue with being 'over charged' for the League part of their Season Ticket then maybe you should start a petition to have the price lowered and send it onto the GAA Season Ticket team @ seasonticket@gaa.ie

Untitled_zpsxw9gfzph.jpg

It's amazing how you keep rolling out figures that prove my point.

The idea that the season ticket is not about value is tenuous. When it was first rolled out that's exactly how it was sold, as being great value for people who go to loads of matches. Otherwise for most counties there'd be no point in it at all. It is supposed to be about saving money and rewarding loyalty, the guarantee of a final ticket isn't supposed to be the main incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The idea that the season ticket is not about value is tenuous. When it was first rolled out that's exactly how it was sold, as being great value for people who go to loads of matches. Otherwise for most counties there'd be no point in it at all. It is supposed to be about saving money and rewarding loyalty, the guarantee of a final ticket isn't supposed to be the main incentive.

When I get chance later I'll do out a table for my season ticket, 2009 and 2015 to compare the difference in value. That will compare like with like. The football and hurling tickets are different and I agree that the hurling should be cheaper.

As I keep saying it not all about value, it's about the guarantee of having Tickets.
    If you think it is better value to buy tickets on an individual match basis then do that, if you do then don't complain if your County gets to an AI Final and you can't get a ticket....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96575069&postcount=309

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96575173&postcount=311
    It's not about value, it about guaranteeing you have a ticket for every game.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96583019&postcount=325

For me after the scramble I had to get a ticket for the 2011 AI Final I promised myself I would never be in that position again, having a Season Ticket means I'm guaranteed a ticket for every game no matter what as I know my attendance will always be above the min. requirement.
    Realt Dearg Sec & adrian522

Can you answer me this straight up question?

Is it cheaper to buy Match tickets on a game by game basis for Hurling through the League & Championship then buying a Season Ticket?

Well it is true to say the value in the season ticket has been decimated over the years. In 2009 when I bought my first season ticket, the price of the season ticket was €10 less, the price of league games was €5 more and there were more games included.

So all in all we are now paying a lot more for less games, while the price of those games as individual games have decreased. The net result is in terms of value for money the season ticket has fallen off a cliff.

That is pretty obvious. In terms of would it be cheaper to buy individual tickets? In my case this year it would have been cheaper to buy all the tickets individually because I missed 2 games.

But, and this is the important bit, I'd need to go to the hassle of getting tickets in advance (the price is higher if you buy on the day) and I'd have no access to an All Ireland final ticket. These 2 reasons are why I'll stick with the season ticket.

There is no doubt there are advantages but in terms of value for money it is a lot less now than it used to be. To argue otherwise would just be silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bring a Friend email for Dublin v Mayo just sent there.

Advertisement