Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CV...

• 29-09-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello.
    I'm a bit confused how to address a person in my cover letter..
    the job listing stays to forward the CV with cover letter for the attention of a lady, it just says "for the attention of Eileen".
    In my cover letter, should I put: "Dear Mrs. Eileen"? or "Dear Eileen"?

Also, a question, as I'm not Irish, lol, in my country we put a photo on the CV, but I heard it's not common in Ireland, so should I bother with a photo or not?
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭skallywag

In that case I would go with ''Dear Eileen", and sign off with ''yours sincerely".

I know that the photo is the norm in some geos (e.g. Germany, etc) but as far as I know it's not the norm in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 LadyBird777

skallywag wrote: »
    In that case I would go with ''Dear Eileen", and sign off with ''yours sincerely".

I know that the photo is the norm in some geos (e.g. Germany, etc) but as far as I know it's not the norm in Ireland.

Exactly, in Germany and France, we put the photo. Thanks for your quick help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't bother with photo unless it's for a position where a thing like that might matter (modelling or whatnot).

"Dear Eileen" is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 LadyBird777

biko wrote: »
    Don't bother with photo unless it's for a position where a thing like that might matter (modelling or whatnot).

"Dear Eileen" is fine.

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

In that case I would just put Dear Eileen. If it gave her full name then I would put Dear Ms whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Being old school, I usually go with "A Chara".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭skallywag

Manach wrote: »
    Being old school, I usually go with "A Chara".

... might look a bit odd though if Eileen does not speak a bit of Gaeilge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'd also go the "Dear Eileen" route. I like to sign off with "Best wishes" though. Sort of establishes a friendly connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'd also go the "Dear Eileen" route. I like to sign off with "Best wishes" though. Sort of establishes a friendly connection.

I always use yours sincerely but I get what you mean. If afterwards I communicate via email then I would use a less formal salutation

Advertisement