Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on Clothing Supply

Options
  • 29-09-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,
    How you doing? I am currently thinking about to open business of Clothing(Mens Jeans, T-shirt etc) as supplier. I have got the samples from abroad and those are very good in quality to bulk buy.If some one is interested then I can order 100 or more pcs with reliable price. Now the the barriers I am facing is getting customer from Ireland. I live in Dublin and asked few retail shop and they said they are full at the moment or may be later on they will do the order. Do you know if there is any Textile Organisation exist in Ireland where I can go and talk with them.

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

It is nearly always a huge mistake to enter a market where you have no knowledge or experience. The mens/womens fashion industry supply chain is quite complicated and works on a seasonal show/sell/deliver cycle of 4-6 months. If you do not understand this structure and the detail of same, you have no hope.
    The other end of the market is selling from stock from a warehouse in a cash and carry type setup. Big capital requirement and cut throat pricing, range selection errors and you are toast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

If the items are of good quality why not develop a brand and sell them online and see where it goes!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alakbd

Thanks Guvnor, Yes, I am also thinking about that. Can not sell them online, I do not have such infrastructure yet. May be in future. But I will try to develop a brand name for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,619 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

[Post deleted]

Sorry- I can only assume that this garbled post I've deleted was as a consequence of my mobile phone being in my pocket and somehow 'going viral' all of its own accord...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alakbd

& is a 44rř

What does it mean Name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

All great points above. If you don't have the infrastructure to sell online, work on getting it.
    You will need to invest money in to make returns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I think buying in bulk from abroad is best when you're going to be selling the items individually through whatever means you have online (eBay/Amazon etc. or your own store) as most of the popular shops people will actually go to are already ordering in their own stock and would probably be reluctant to use a new startup as you'd basically be a middleman and they can work around that to cut costs more easily nowadays. This isn't just for clothes, it goes for a lot of the stuff you'd find on sites like alibaba that people would actually be interested in.

Like phone cases. For a while people could make decent money ordering these in bulk off of alibaba and then selling individually on eBay. Trouble is, as time went on, more and more online shops got setup until they were being sold for so cheap that the profits may not even be worth it to some people. There are good sites for selling homemade items that people are earning good money from lately (one guy I spoke to online was getting over $5k/month for a while), could be worth looking into if you've a lot of dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Most retailers can access unbranded product fro suppliers anywhere else in the world. Good retailers will already have their suppliers - many of which will be UK based working through an agent here.

Maybe look at becoming an agent for a range of clothing and visiting some of the trade fairs before gambling on something like this. As an agent you will get about 10% commission and no risk.

Advertisement