Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do we all think of Frasier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He voiced Abe Sapian in the first Hellboy but declined a credit because Doug Jones had done the mocap. Doug Jones then took over voicing for the Golden Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cloud493 wrote: »
    He does a lot of broadway does he not?

No idea, tbh. I had a look at imdb, and it seemed to be the first substantive thing he had done in years, apart for Sideshow Cecil that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

"The Perfect Host" was his last film of note. From his current roles, he seems to be sticking with TV dramas and theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

The Perfect Host was brilliant as well, I thought. Really quirky and mad. Of course, David Hyde Pierce absolutely steals the entire film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FunLover18 wrote: »
    He voiced Abe Sapian in the first Hellboy but declined a credit because Doug Jones had done the mocap. Doug Jones then took over voicing for the Golden Army.

And he was sorely missed.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The episode where it was Niles, entirely without dialogue, cutting his finger and fainting, brilliant physical comedy.

That was "Three dates" wasn't it?

Martin: I'm still sayin', a stint in the army would have done you two a world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

one of my favorites ,bit long but worth the build up

Roz: You know, they say that your life can be prolonged by bodily contact.
    Frasier: Well in that case Roz, you'll outlive styrofoam.

Peri Gilpin was (and probably still is) absolutely flakin'!

We should have a thread with "best looking woman on TV". Roz from Frasier would be the first post, and then the thread should be locked.

This was her in 2013.

peri-gilpin-disney-s-abc-summer-press-tour-party-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Niles whilst practising dance steps with Daphne:

"This is boring, yet difficult"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Thought this thread could do with a bump.

I was watching the episode earlier where Woody came to town and after a few days Frasier was bored of him and says to Niles:

"Have you any idea what it's like to feign interest in the same stories over and over again?" to which Niles replies:

..."And you call yourself a psychiatrist. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in private practise".

Later in the same episode when Woody calls by and tells Frasier he has to return home as his daughter had an ear infection. Frasier closes the door after him as he leaves, turns to Niles and says:

"God bless the virus that invaded that little girl's ear canal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

The sibling rivalry and retorts really made the series.

Niles and Frasier opening psychiatry practices next door to each other was brilliant.

Not to mention them running the restaurant and writing the book together.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I started watching on Netflix again except not from the start this time ...

Started on the last ep of season 7 I believe, Daphne and Donny's wedding..
    when Daphne and Niles essentially get together Daphne says something and Niles responds with "I think you can call me Niles now"
    probably one of the greatest parts of the whole show... Niles is defo my favourite character overall though I do love Martin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Niles: Dad, I don't think this is a good idea. Where exactly is this stakeout?
    Donny: It's at the Alcazar apartments. You know, in Belltown.
    Niles: Belltown is sort of a sketchy neighborhood, wouldn't you say?
    Martin: Oh Niles, to you a sketchy neighborhood is when the cheese shop doesn't have valet parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Derek Jacobi as failed Shakespearean actor on now on C4+1! Result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Kevin Smith has started a new podcast where he and his mate will do a commentary on every episode of frasier

http://smodcast.com/episodes/our-pilot/

Roger, at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Roger, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Kevin Smith has started a new podcast where he and his mate will do a commentary on every episode of frasier

http://smodcast.com/episodes/our-pilot/

Listened to the first ep of that! I think I'll give it a ahot for a few eps :) thanks!

syklops wrote: »
    Roger, at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Roger, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.

In terms of quotes, it doesnt get much better than that in my opinion. However quotes are only a small part of the show. Niles' entirely silent performance, i believe in, Three dates" was also genius.

A timely bump you say?

I just finished watching Shut Out In Seattle where Niles is lovelorn but Daphne has got engaged to Donny, Frasier is with Fay (while dreaming of Cassandra), Marty is with Bonnie and even their dogs are getting it together. Niles is forced to watch all this and tries to leave Frasier's apartment when Bonnie notices a loose button on his jacket. Despite Niles' protests she rips it off anyway and while pulling off his jacket says:

"I'll sew it back on for you. I've got a needle and thread, you don't want to lose it do you?"

"I'm trying not to".

Niles' face as she's taking off his jacket is priceless.

• Advertisement

A timely bump you say?

I just finished watching Shut Out In Seattle where Niles is lovelorn but Daphne has got engaged to Donny, Frasier is with Fay (while dreaming of Cassandra), Marty is with Bonnie and even their dogs are getting it together. Niles is forced to watch all this and tries to leave Frasier's apartment when Bonnie notices a loose button on his jacket. Despite Niles' protests she rips it off anyway and while pulling off his jacket says:

"I'll sew it back on for you. I've got a needle and thread, you don't want to lose it do you?"

"I'm trying not to".

Niles' face as she's taking off his jacket is priceless.

Yeah I think there were times when David Hyde Pierce stole the show to the extent that the show could have been called "Niles".

I've been a fair bit of Cheers recently, and I had forgotten just how much screentime Frasier got on it. Its joyous. Its almost like finding new, unwatched episodes of Frasier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

David Hyde Pearse is in the Good Wife this season and looks barely recognisable! She has been very very kind to him!

I've been a fair bit of Cheers recently, and I had forgotten just how much screentime Frasier got on it. Its joyous. Its almost like finding new, unwatched episodes of Frasier.

Likewise. I have the Cheers boxset (I'm old enough to remember it when they were new :() but watch the two episodes a day on Gold (and the two Taxis on CBS Drama on Saturdays). I've enjoyed Frasier in the same manner as yourself and in fact today came to the conclusion that his character was the obvious one for a spin off show, yet at the time I couldn't understand whay they didn't pick Norm or Cliff. He was one of the the main characters in one of today's episodes where he and Lilith were renewing their wedding vows and he absolutely stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Every episode is a joy in its own way. There's not one of the 5 main characters I don't love. And even every one of the recurring cast. (Although the 360 they went on Daphne's accent from commoner in the early days to Bbc English by the time it ended was a bit annoying)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just watched The Doctor is Out.

One of the classic episodes and Patrick Stewart's performance is one of the best guest performances in the show's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

For anyone who listened to that Kevin Smith Frasier podcast, they had Peri Gilpin and one of the frasier writers on as a guest. Pretty cool.

• Advertisement

John Mahoney was in Cheers today as Sy Flembeck (cool name) the useless jingle writer. All his jingles were to the tune of Old McDonald's Farm abd he spelt Cheers "CHERS". Classic

John Mahoney was in Cheers today as Sy Flembeck (cool name) the useless jingle writer. All his jingles were to the tune of Old McDonald's Farm abd he spelt Cheers "CHERS". Classic

He was a very funny in that episode

Sy Flembeck: So, it's curtains for me, huh? The old "Adios, Flembeck.I knew this day'd come.I gave this firm the best years of my life.It turns around and kicks me right in the old haemorrhoid hotel.Pardon my French, babe.Well, before I go, let me tell you something, Mr.Pimply-Faced Teenager Who's Running the Shop This Week.I wrote "Chocolate, chocolate, who ate my bar?" when you were still dangling from your mother's breast, you cheap S.O.B.

Manager: Sy, we've got a job for you.

Sy Flembeck: You didn't let me finish! You have to be that way, 'cause you're a leader! Leadership has its price, and I respect that, and I respect you! Does it show? The love, I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Always end up watching on Netflix when I see this thread bumped. I feel a Frasier binge coming after the football until I fall asleep at 1am :pac:

Tim Dunne is talking about the impact of Cheers in comedy tonight on Newstalk.

I just watched The Doctor is Out.

One of the classic episodes and Patrick Stewart's performance is one of the best guest performances in the show's history.

My three favourite episodes are all where someone is mistakenly thought of as being gay. They are:

The Doctor is Out - my favourite episode ever!
    Out with Dad
    The Matchmaker - Frasier tries to set the new station manager up with Daphne but the station manager thinks Frasier is asking him out on a date. Hilarity ensues.

I find Frasier goes through a bit of a dry spell around seasons 4 and 5 wit wise, where a few of the episodes go a bit too silly. The Seal who Came to Dinner is one example which I dont find funny.

As I said before, any episode with Bebe gets switched off immediately, (which means I miss Kirsten Chenowith in those boots and that skirt :( ).

• Advertisement

My three favourite episodes are all where someone is mistakenly thought of as being gay. They are:

Out with Dad
    The Matchmaker - Frasier tries to set the new station manager up with Daphne but the station manager thinks Frasier is asking him out on a date. Hilarity ensues.

I find Frasier goes through a bit of a dry spell around seasons 4 and 5 wit wise, where a few of the episodes go a bit too silly. The Seal who Came to Dinner is one example which I dont find funny.

As I said before, any episode with Bebe gets switched off immediately, (which means I miss Kirsten Chenowith in those boots and that skirt :( ).

Season 4 and 5 were 2 of the best seasons in my opinoion.Season 5 is arguably the best Season in the shows history.

The Seal Who Came to Dinner was a classic.

Apologies, Season 3 was what i meant starting with "She's the Boss", moving on to "The adventures of "Bad Boy and Dirty Girl". Season 4 starts with "The Two Mrs Cranes" and I'd agree one of the best episodes. Other episodes in Season 4: A lillith Thanks Giving - excellent, "Our Father whose art ain't Heaven", also brilliant. The name of the episode is fantastic. Three Dates and a breakup also brilliant.

So maybe I meant Season 3. Season 5 has "The Ski Lodge" and "The perfect guy", two of my favourite episodes, the latter again when someone thinks some one else is gay(see above).

Apologies again, I think I just meant season 3.

I think its time for a rewatch, though Im thinking of going through Cheers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 markgarbutt

Just out of interest, what do we think of Frasier, now we're over ten years since the last episode. For my two cents.

- Daphne is never the best character, and putting her with Niles at the end of season 7 makes her near unbearable, to be honest.
    - The only two consistently funny character are Martin and Niles, with maybe Roz as a third.
    - Daphnes family should have stayed unseen.
    - I used to dislike frasier as a character a lot, but I like the way with him towards the end.
    - Wasn't a massive fan of the episodes with Freddie in them, but I like the ones with Lilith a lot.

I agree with you on everything bar you assessment of Frasier. He was/is my favourite character, followed by Marty, and then Niles. I must watch the whole thing again from the start actually.

Out with Dad

My personal favourite would be a toss up between "Out With Dad" and "The Perfect Guy" but "The Seal Who Came To Dinner" grinds on me. It's truly painful.

I also agree with the Bebe assessment but Kate Costas and any episode she was in got on my wick too.

Speaking of annoying characters Anne the insurance agent was irritating in the extreme but I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes she was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bebe's hilarious. She's pure evil!

My personal favourite would be a toss up between "Out With Dad" and "The Perfect Guy" but "The Seal Who Came To Dinner" grinds on me. It's truly painful.

Glad its not just me then on "The Seal who came to Dinner".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Apologies, Season 3 was what i meant starting with "She's the Boss", moving on to "The adventures of "Bad Boy and Dirty Girl". Season 4 starts with "The Two Mrs Cranes" and I'd agree one of the best episodes. Other episodes in Season 4: A lillith Thanks Giving - excellent, "Our Father whose art ain't Heaven", also brilliant. The name of the episode is fantastic. Three Dates and a breakup also brilliant.

So maybe I meant Season 3. Season 5 has "The Ski Lodge" and "The perfect guy", two of my favourite episodes, the latter again when someone thinks some one else is gay(see above).

Apologies again, I think I just meant season 3.

I think its time for a rewatch, though Im thinking of going through Cheers first.

I love that episode. Especially in the confusion near the end when everyone gets their wires crossed about who wants to sleep with who.

The ski instructor sneaks into Frasier's room. He spots Frasier and not Niles in bed "You are not the Crane I want". Frasier responds: "Your not even the sex I want" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

love some of the wit of fraser still so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I keep reading that as the "The Lucile who came to Dinner", I suppose I had Arrested Development to blame for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

+1 for that episode.. I hate it, it's just so unrealistic.

However I am watching Series 2 tonight and it starts with another bit of classic Frasier Crane sarcasm... for once not directed at Niles or Marty...

Frasier: Daphne, a "Clive" called for you a little earlier.
    Daphne: Clive?
    Frasier: Mmm-hmm.
    Daphne: Did he sound British?
    Frasier: No, he was one of those fiery Mexican Clives!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I love that episode. Especially in the confusion near the end when everyone gets their wires crossed about who wants to sleep with who.

The ski instructor sneaks into Frasier's room. He spots Frasier and not Niles in bed "You are not the Crane I want". Frasier responds: "Your not even the sex I want" :D

Frasier: Wait, wait, wait. Let me see if I've got this straight. All the lust coursing through this lodge tonight, all the hormones virtually ricocheting off the walls, and no one... was chasing me?

+1 for that episode.. I hate it, it's just so unrealistic.

It's classic Frasier in my opinion.

The scene with all the hand clapping is brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Aenaes wrote: »
    Frasier: Wait, wait, wait. Let me see if I've got this straight. All the lust coursing through this lodge tonight, all the hormones virtually ricocheting off the walls, and no one... was chasing me?

his voice when he says this, fantastic.

it's up there with "are you all forgetting that not three days ago i was punched in the face by a man now dead?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I'm knackered tonight, trying to watch Homeland but too much concentration is required so back to some comforting ole' Fraier for me :)

"Do you know what this means?"

"Yes. The Cranes of Maine have got your living brain".

And

"A living brain? What kind of dork wants that?"

"Hopefully the kind of dork who'll be operating on your prostate one day".

Held back a couple of recorded Christmas episodes and watched them today. I may have posted both quotes before but they're two classics in my book.

If it's not scheduled on C4 for next week I'll dig out the DVD for "Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz" for one of the days. My favourite Christmas Frasier episode.

"Do you know what this means?"

"Yes. The Cranes of Maine have got your living brain".

And

"A living brain? What kind of dork wants that?"

"Hopefully the kind of dork who'll be operating on your prostate one day".

Held back a couple of recorded Christmas episodes and watched them today. I may have posted both quotes before but they're two classics in my book.

If it's not scheduled on C4 for next week I'll dig out the DVD for "Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz" for one of the days. My favourite Christmas Frasier episode.

"I wonder can you help me with something Im looking for my daughter?"
    "I'd be delighted to help, what are you looking for?"
    "A date with a nice single Doctor"

Not related to Frasier, but Merry Christmas Mrs Moskowitz always reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S6eGYnG8nM

He was a very funny in that episode

I'll be downloading this episode tonight:

I'll be downloading this episode tonight:

Saw that one recently. CHERS

Any time I watch that episode, I secretly want to be Jewish. Considering Im atheist, thats quite a feat.

• Advertisement

I caught the beginning an episode this morning, the one where Niles makes up Phylis because he isn't brave enough to ask Daphne out.

I couldn't watch it all. The more I rewatch the show the more frustrated I get with how they handled the Daphne/Niles storyline. It was awful, they should have just had a fling and worked from there. Far more potential in them trying to work out a relationship between such very different characters after something like that than there ever was in completely changing Daphne's character to fit in with the 'oh she actually always loved him too' and then going through the whole Mel **** as well. Jesus they really cocked it up.

Advertisement