Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford AC Half Dec 6th, 2014

Options
  • 29-09-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am involved in the Waterford AC Half this year and didn't see a post about it so said I would pass on some details.

Following feedback from last year it has been moved back to the Saturday however to make this work and get approval from the relevant bodies it does start at the earlier time of 10am.

Along with a goodie bag and hat finishers will also receive a medal this year which is something we received a lot of requests for previously.

The route will be similar to last year however we do have to look at changing one small part to avoid one of the junctions for traffic management reasons. Once the new route has been signed off by the guards we will make it available for viewing on the site.

As with previous years there will be over €3000 in cash prizes, pacers, great spread of refreshments, chip timing, number posted to you, top class facilities and showers in the WIT Sports Campus Carriganore, AAI approved, and athletic club run event.

More info and registration is available on www.waterfordachalf.com

Last years thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057048254

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Loved this last year, good crowd & proved to be a good day out in fairness.
    First weeks training for this done and dusted :D...9 more to go :eek:

Mr.W~

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Anyone know if this still finishes in the Stadium? I ran it a couple of years back and thought the stadium finish was great craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Im looking forward to this, did ten miles yesterday for the first time at the solas run & had said if I survived I'd aim for this! I've heard Good things about it and it seems well timed with the solas yesterday and winter league starting soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Duanington wrote: »
    Anyone know if this still finishes in the Stadium? I ran it a couple of years back and thought the stadium finish was great craic...

Nope. Finishes at wit carriganore sports complex. 12 changing rooms so plenty of showers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Did this last year. It was great weather that weekend. A grand race, well organised with loads of stewards and the grub was top notch afterwards upstairs. Plenty of showers in carraignore and no problem with space to get changed. The bobbly hat was the business too!

I came down the country last year with the family and we made a weekend of it. The Winterval festival is on that weekend also and it was great craic and I'd recommend that too for those of you with families - make the weekend of it. We are going to do the same this year.

The route was grand taking us into country roads for most of it which was nice and airy. One complaint, was the state of the roads on in the middle of the race. However, overall, I'd recommend the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

@HuntingDrog this is one of the primary reasons to move back to a Saturday which hopefully makes it a more appealing day to those that want to make a weekend out of it.

Also the Viking Hotel Waterford is only 2k from the start/finish area if you are looking for accommodation.

The route for 2014 has been published. It is almost the same as last year but changes had to be made between miles 2 and 3 and miles 4 and 5 to accommodate traffic restrictions. We will be getting the route official measured and certified over the next couple of weeks.

Not too long left before registration closes.

www.waterfordachalf.com/race-info/route-info/

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Anyone know when the closing date for this is? Want to wait and see how I feel after DCM before committing.

Thanks

Anyone know when the closing date for this is? Want to wait and see how I feel after DCM before committing.

Thanks

We are aiming to close registrations on November 12th so that will give you a couple of weeks after the DCM to ponder. As we post the race packs we need to close a bit earlier then normal collection on the day races to give us time to handle missing packs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I got my Email confirming registration for this. Good to see the organisers are very clear than headphones are banned in the race and wearers may be Dq'ed. Well done Waterford AC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

menoscemo wrote: »
    I got my Email confirming registration for this. Good to see the organisers are very clear than headphones are banned in the race and wearers may be Dq'ed. Well done Waterford AC

I've often wondered about this one Meno - are headphones an issue because the race is out on the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Duanington wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this one Meno - are headphones an issue because the race is out on the roads?

That's probably the reason they are explicitly banned in this case, but to be honest I can't see any positive reason from a health and safetly point of view to allow headphones in any race. Having been a pacer in many the race, I have seen participants doing some stupid and ignorant things. 99% of the time the perpetrators have been wearing headphones.

From an organiser perspective feedback we regularly get from our stewards is that some people wearing headphones just don't hear instructions. On open roads this can be dangerous as you may have someone cross at the wrong point or miss warnings.
    As someone who wears headphones on the treadmill I personally feel not hearing/being aware of your surroundings is not always just down to the volume of the headphones but they just add to putting you more in "the zone" and help you switch off what is going on around you. Granted this is the very reason some people wear headphones but Road running is a place you need to be alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Im in for this aswell, looking forward to my blaa already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Is there a closing date on this event? After Dublin, still not sure how I will recover and whether to go for this just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

comment above says:
    "We are aiming to close registrations on November 12th" so two more weeks before taking the plunge!!
    We all know youre going to do it!

Im having a look at the route on the Waterford ac half website. It's tricky to see it closely on my phone though, I can't figure out which direction to follow the red line! Is there a written description/ different map anywhere? Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

araic88 wrote: »
    Im having a look at the route on the Waterford ac half website. It's tricky to see it closely on my phone though, I can't figure out which direction to follow the red line! Is there a written description/ different map anywhere? Thanks!

here you go

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/411300094

Cabaal wrote: »

One or two small changes from last years course, I'll run it over the next few days and throw it up here.

• Advertisement

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gavlor wrote: »
    One or two small changes from last years course, I'll run it over the next few days and throw it up here.

You're gonna bike it aren't you!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fair enough, :D
    I only had a quick glance at the course on the website v last years and they "appeared" the same :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    fair enough, :D
    I only had a quick glance at the course on the website v last years and they "appeared" the same :)

Barely noticeable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Signed up this morning. Figured it was easier than buying a hat for winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

dintbo wrote: »
    Signed up this morning. Figured it was easier than buying a hat for winter!

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Legs seem to have recovered well after Dublin so will sign up for this tonight...looking forward to it now

Can anyone give a brief course preview I.e the fast parts and slow parts?

New Route.

Hilly first mile, really hilly mile 6-7, drag from 11-12 and downhill from there before a ramp at 13 and a fast downhill last .2 miles.

All in all a tough enough course but some nice flat/downhill breaks in between the 2 main hills.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/624931869

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

New Route.

Hilly first mile, really hilly mile 6-7, drag from 11-12 and downhill from there before a ramp at 13 and a fast downhill last .2 miles.

All in all a tough enough course but some nice flat/downhill breaks in between the 2 main hills.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/624931869

Are you running in this race yourself G?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

currently weighing up this or clon thou clon is twice the price of waterford!!

Advertisement