Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford AC Half Dec 6th, 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks tougher than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

araic88 wrote: »
    Im having a look at the route on the Waterford ac half website. It's tricky to see it closely on my phone though, I can't figure out which direction to follow the red line! Is there a written description/ different map anywhere? Thanks!

We put a map with arrows and the water stops marked on the website now (keep the shows on your left). We are looking to get a mile by mile description from one of the committee that has run the course up soon. Initial feedback is that there are some hills but they are broken up with some nice downhill sections and is all in all a fair course.
    www.waterfordhalf.com/race-info/route-info/.

We are somewhat restricted in our course selection, as an Athletic Club we do not have the budget or clout to run any route we like but think we have come up with and tweaked a nice course for 2014. To help you through any tougher parts you can work towards a medal, goodie bag, the best showering and changing facilities you are going to find, top class professionally catered refreshments and all for a fair price.

Registrations are going well now but will be closed by November 16th or if we hit 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oscar Invitation

Hi I ran the new half marathon route yesterday. It's a nice challenging route,the first few miles are slightly up hill and are the hardest. When u get over first few miles the other few drags are not bad. The second half of the route is flat and fast.The last mile is very fast.
    The facilities is the WIT sports campus are state of the art. Eack changing room has 12 showers which are brand new .
    The food laid on after is worth coming for alone !!
    We have a lovely winter hat as well as the new WAC medal specially designed .
    If u want to make a weekend of it,check out Winterville ,it's a fantastic way off getting into the Christmas spirit.
    It's a great event so hope to see as many of ye as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

We put a map with arrows and the water stops marked on the website now

thanks that's great, really easy to follow. Now just to run it ;-)
    Do ye need volunteers beforehand to help with race packs etc?

The mile by mile description has been added to the route section of waterfordachalf.com. as promised.

Thanks for the offer. We may need some help with the goodie bag pack. Can you send an email into info@waterfordachalf.com and we will be in contact with details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Really excited for this - 2000 runners limit, pretty impressive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Just want to check that the 12th Nov is definetly the closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Andalucia wrote: »
    Just want to check that the 12th Nov is definetly the closing date?

Comment above from Whatsthisabout:
    "Registrations are going well now but will be closed by November 16th or if we hit 2000."

The last push is on. Registrations for the 2014 Waterford AC Half Marathon will finish on Nov 16th at midnight. So now is your last chance to be part of one of the best club organised races in the Country.
    For €25 you will get a bespoke medal, iconic WAC hat, chocolate milk at the finish, professionally catered refreshments, world class changing and showering facilities, sports massage, goodie bag, chip timing, race pack posted to you, pacers, friendly atmosphere, accurate course, AAI approved, over 3k in cash prizes, and much more.

As an added bonus this year's event takes place during the Waterford Winterville festival. Participants will also be able to avail of discounts in certain retailers around Waterford City after the event more details to follow on that.

Registration is available on www.waterfordachalf.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Signed up and looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

world class changing and showering facilities

Looking forward to this, one of my favourite races on the calendar. But I'm intrigued, what does world class changing and showering facilities have that normal changing facilities don't have? :D

Looking forward to this, one of my favourite races on the calendar. But I'm intrigued, what does world class changing and showering facilities have that normal changing facilities don't have? :D

Size is one thing 6 full size team changing rooms and endless hot water. The WIT sports campus is a new and purpose built center of excellence sports complex it really is quite something not your normal community Hall or GAA ground. Check it out www.witsportscampus.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Size is one thing 6 full size team changing rooms and endless hot water. The WIT sports campus is a new and purpose built center of excellence sports complex it really is quite something not your normal community Hall or GAA ground. Check it out www.witsportscampus.ie.

very true, they hosted the National Novice XC last year and the excellent facilities made the day (almost) enjoyable :)
    Ideal warm up areas, parking, showers, lots of space upstairs to have a cuppa and a sandwich afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

first long(ish) run since DCM done this morning, decided to enter for this as it will be a good gauge to see where the body is in terms of speed etc and what I need to do for Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Anyone know when the race numbers are being sent out?
    Only a week to go and some niggels have sidelined me all week. I'll get to the start line, what state god only knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

They said on Facebook they were posting the numbers out this week. I've not received mine yet so hopefully early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

They said on Facebook they were posting the numbers out this week. I've not received mine yet so hopefully early next week.

Got mine today so expect you'll have it Mon or Tue latest

Everyone should have their numbers by the middle of the week. The first batch went out Thursday and the 2nd batch is going Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mikey101

how strict is the "no headphones" rule.. Im a newbie to running and very reliant on headphones mainly for running apps , havent splashed out for a Garmin watch etc yet and also a bit of music to get me through... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Mikey101 wrote: »
    how strict is the "no headphones" rule.. Im a newbie to running and very reliant on headphones mainly for running apps , havent splashed out for a Garmin watch etc yet and also a bit of music to get me through... cheers

According to the rules

All participants are instructed not to wear headphones as this can impede your ability to hear instructions, approaching traffic, and fellow runners. Offenders will have their name removed from the results.

so i would not risk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

If you are using music to help the time go by then try and chat to people. Just use the phone on the arm to record the race for you. Most long distance races, 10 mile or longer you are going at a pace where you can hold somewhat a conversation. Believe me, the time will fly when you are chatting away to someone. Don't be nervous, perfect opener is "we seem to be going at the same pace, are you going for x time?"

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Number arrived in the post today. Really looking forward to this now. Roll on Saturday!!!

Anyone on here pacing the 1:40 group? Will you be moving at 7:38 pace and keeping it even?

Looking forward to Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mikey101

viperlogic wrote: »
    If you are using music to help the time go by then try and chat to people. Just use the phone on the arm to record the race for you. Most long distance races, 10 mile or longer you are going at a pace where you can hold somewhat a conversation. Believe me, the time will fly when you are chatting away to someone. Don't be nervous, perfect opener is "we seem to be going at the same pace, are you going for x time?"

thanks for the replies! so used to running alone, maybe thats why im reliant on headphones. 13 miles is daunting to me now without headphones but ill try to engage a few strangers into conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

thanks for the replies! so used to running alone, maybe thats why im reliant on headphones. 13 miles is daunting to me now without headphones but ill try to engage a few strangers into conversations

Do. It's much more fun. Even better if there's a pace group that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Haven't got my number yet, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow

Anyone know is there any pacers, and for what times?
    Really looking forward to Saturday ... not sure if I have the miles in though!!

Anyone know is there many pacers, and for what times?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

very true, they hosted the National Novice XC last year and the excellent facilities made the day (almost) enjoyable :)
    Ideal warm up areas, parking, showers, lots of space upstairs to have a cuppa and a sandwich afterwards.

warm water was not endless at XC there last year :rolleyes:

think the first shower/ changing room are bad and the later ones are good.

• Advertisement

Anyone know is there many pacers, and for what times?

All the details are in the race info section of the site.

Advertisement