Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford AC Half Dec 6th, 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just an FYI, there were lockers available at the sports campus, perhaps this fact should have been advertised? I was happy enough to leave my bag in the changing rooms as there was nothing of value inside.

I did the same and I have to echo all the positive comments about what was a very well organised race and given the amount of PB's that seem to have been achieved it will be a popular run next year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    999|skeleton_boy|1.21.47|1.22.30|
    |overpronator|1.28.04|1.27.xx|
    649|dintbo|1.45.15|1.43.xx|1.40.40
    559|Murph_D|1.46.25|1.42.xx|1:41:00
    645|Toblerone1978|1.25.10|1.29.xx|1:24:23
    1654|Duanington|1.32.21|1.29.5xx
    743|MacSwifty|1.34.38|1.37.xx|1:38:08
    1642|Slow_Runner|1.44.18|1.39xx-1:43xx|1.40.51
    |Dukie|1.30.21|1.29.59|1.29.56
    |Cabaal|1.34.45|1.29.59|1.31.44

Getting closer to that sub 1:30, still very happy with results! :D
    As always a well organised event by WAC, they should be proud.

Found after mile 10 going at the back of Ballybeg hard going, but felt better by the time I hit mile 12, having the downhill compared to last year was a good change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

999|skeleton_boy|1.21.47|1.22.30|1.27.47

Matched my PB to the second :pac:. Delighted with the effort and looking forward to building on it for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Dukie wrote: »
    Finally managed to sneak in under the 90mins on chip time (after 7 attempts!)

Nice one Dukie - glad to see you got your time. I was the one talking to you afterwards in the changing rooms with the red Dooneen vest.

Would also like to echo all the positives of this race already mentioned. Well done to all at WAC. This was my second time doing this race & 2nd time to pb so I'll definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

464|overpronator|1.28.04|1.27.xx|1.24.56

It looks like I sandbagged the bejaysus out of this but I genuinely didn't, was just lucky to hit a good day and that lovely fast final mile helped! Report here if anyone is interested!

Thanks to all at Waterford AC, thought it was a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Cabaal wrote: »
    999|skeleton_boy|1.21.47|1.22.30|

Getting closer to that sub 1:30, still very happy with results! :D
    As always a well organised event by WAC, they should be proud.

Found after mile 10 going at the back of Ballybeg hard going, but felt better by the time I hit mile 12, having the downhill compared to last year was a good change.

Yeah. I like the guy telling everyone at a mile to go that it was all downhill. That does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

rom wrote: »
    Yeah. I like the guy telling everyone at a mile to go that it was all downhill. That does help.

You always get the token guy a mile out saying it's all downhill to the finish. Even if it's blatantly untrue! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice one Dukie - glad to see you got your time. I was the one talking to you afterwards in the changing rooms with the red Dooneen vest.

Would also like to echo all the positives of this race already mentioned. Well done to all at WAC. This was my second time doing this race & 2nd time to pb so I'll definitely be back.

Cheers, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the day. Hope to see you back for the blaas next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

|overpronator|1.28.04|1.27.xx|1.24.56
    1654|Duanington|1.32.21|1.29.5xx|1.26.33

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Was looking for info. on 2015 race and came across this thread.

A group of us drove down for the half marathon. We're a slow bunch, not out for fast times, happy to finish together.

After finishing, hit towards the refreshments. Upstairs to where the grub was, only to be told there wasn't any. Unlike other races where you hand in your number or a voucher for food, it was a free-for-all, with obvious consequences. Hundreds of slower finishers were not fed. WAC put up photos on Facebook showing earlier finishers, and you can see entire families having Blaa picnics in the background.

There was a lot of advertising before the race for "top class professionally catered refreshments". You'd paid your entry fee, refreshments included, and were then confronted with kids running about with a Blaa in each hand. The best we could find were packets of biscuits from a nearby filling station.

These things happen, fair enough. What really got my back up was when we mentioned it in the post-race feedback on Facebook. A committee member (Keith) told us that "WAC were under no obligation to feed anyone".

The course was hilly, and the road surface was awful in places. The food situation (and the attitude behind it) is the reason we won't be running the 2015 WAC Half Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I thought this was a brilliant race, really enjoyed it. Due to long term injury I won't be able to run it this year, otherwise I'd definitely mark it into the calendar again.

Excellent value and it just seems to get better each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

A group of us drove down for the half marathon. We're a slow bunch, not out for fast times, happy to finish together.

After finishing, hit towards the refreshments. Upstairs to where the grub was, only to be told there wasn't any. Unlike other races where you hand in your number or a voucher for food, it was a free-for-all, with obvious consequences. Hundreds of slower finishers were not fed. WAC put up photos on Facebook showing earlier finishers, and you can see entire families having Blaa picnics in the background.

There was a lot of advertising before the race for "top class professionally catered refreshments". You'd paid your entry fee, refreshments included, and were then confronted with kids running about with a Blaa in each hand. The best we could find were packets of biscuits from a nearby filling station.

These things happen, fair enough. What really got my back up was when we mentioned it in the post-race feedback on Facebook. A committee member (Keith) told us that "WAC were under no obligation to feed anyone".

The course was hilly, and the road surface was awful in places. The food situation (and the attitude behind it) is the reason we won't be running the 2015 WAC Half Marathon.

Course will be different this year so you might run it a bit faster and make it back in time for the food.

Besides, a Blaa is only nice when it's fresh, not after its sitting there for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gavlor wrote: »
    Course will be different this year so you might run it a bit faster and make it back in time for the food.

Besides, a Blaa is only nice when it's fresh, not after its sitting there for a couple of hours.

What's the course change?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You never lost it...

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the course change?

It's a secret....

Seriously tho, it's not finalised yet but will be much faster if they pull it off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, they aren't under any obligation to feed you. Generally club races are catered by members, at the expense and time of the members. Not everyone takes the post race grub so they're hardly going to stop people from taking some just incase the slower finishers want some, what happens if they don't? it gets thrown out.

WAC aren't responsible for the state of the road surface.

Races route are generally dependant on local council, guards etc and organisers don't always have much control over the actual route.

Your race entry does NOT cover food.

I'm hoping to do this this year and looking forward to it. Gavlor, is there a date set for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Why were you looking for info on the 2015 race if you had already decided you weren't going to run it? :confused:

I think your comments are very petty. I did this race last year and couldn't fault it, will definitely be down again in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

I have done it twice and enjoyed it, will do it this year again.
    And all i want afterwards is a cup of sweet coffee and my hat. Up Tipp.

Well, they aren't under any obligation to feed you. Generally club races are catered by members, at the expense and time of the members. Not everyone takes the post race grub so they're hardly going to stop people from taking some just incase the slower finishers want some, what happens if they don't? it gets thrown out.

WAC aren't responsible for the state of the road surface.

Races route are generally dependant on local council, guards etc and organisers don't always have much control over the actual route.

Your race entry does NOT cover food.

I'm hoping to do this this year and looking forward to it. Gavlor, is there a date set for it?

Well said.

5th December afaik, right in the middle of winterval! I'm definitely doing it this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's a secret....

Seriously tho, it's not finalised yet but will be much faster if they pull it off

53 laps of the track? But seriously, I do hope they can get a finish at track again, but without the laps of the adjacent park.
    Could be the makings of a good night if planned properly?

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    53 laps of the track? But seriously, I do hope they can get a finish at track again, but without the laps of the adjacent park.
    Could be the makings of a good night if planned properly?

definitely could be a good night, just make sure not to tell TRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tallaght AC have already block booked the Granville :P. Thankfully I can still use my real name in that one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

ah peeps no one hates halves more than me!! but this is a good one!! I have ran 8-9 marathons at this stage and I was never fed once post a marathon WAC do as good as any road racing organisers and as long as I can and live in Waterford I will do their half!! WAC agus na Deise abu!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Ha ha ye prick. My hotel is already booked.

Ha ha ye prick. My hotel is already booked.

Reported.

Attack the post not the poster.

W@nker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Ran this last year and thought it was very well organised, and a good tough-ish route that was really the race that was the final straw before I realised I loved running.

The only issue I had on the day was finding the sports complex. I was sat like an EEJIT at the actual University itself for around 20 minutes watching no cars approach the car park.

It's a shame it is the weekend of the Clonakilty Marathon, I would love to have given this another go. The medal last year was fantastic, and the wooly hats were the icing on the cake (somehow managed to get 2 in my bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Ran this last year and thought it was very well organised, and a good tough-ish route that was really the race that was the final straw before I realised I loved running.

The only issue I had on the day was finding the sports complex. I was sat like an EEJIT at the actual University itself for around 20 minutes watching no cars approach the car park.

It's a shame it is the weekend of the Clonakilty Marathon, I would love to have given this another go. The medal last year was fantastic, and the wooly hats were the icing on the cake (somehow managed to get 2 in my bag).

You've found a University in Waterford?:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

echancrure wrote: »
    You've found a University in Waterford?:D;)

... or WIT rather.... whatever it was most certainly wasn't the starting line!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great race, and great blaas. I only had one but I wish now I'd taken two. The hat is the best race swag ever. Kudos to WAC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trying to make sure I'm not working in December for this, just curious what weekend is it most likely to fall on?
    ...yes I know its not officially announced yet :)

As for the race, I've always enjoyed it and I've always managed to set a new PB at it so I guess thats why I always enjoyed it :)

Advertisement