Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with wine

Options
  • 29-09-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    I've tried to make a red wine from grapes but it is very sweet. I mashed the grapes and extracted the juice. I then added extra sugar to bring the og up to 1085. It has fermented (fg 995) and I racked several times to help it clear. I was about to bottle but on tasting it was very sweet. Can I try a second fermentation by adding more yeast and hopefully reducing the sugar content or will this not work. Any other suggestions would be great.
    thanks

gh

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I can't imagine it'll go much lower than 0.995. Age it and hope for the best, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I ha e the same problem ageing it since May still too sweet I kept it in the big drum that I fermented it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

Thanks folks. Think I'll bottle and stick in the back of the shed. Maybe use it for sangria next summer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Too sweet at 0.995? That should be close to bone dry.

You sure you took the hydrometer reading correctly? I would test your hydrometer in 20C water, and remember to correct for ambient temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

Checked my gravity reading again and i must have made a mistake somewhere. The gravity reading is 1030, so will my original suggestion work of adding more yeast ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Can you post a pic of the gravity reading?

I've certainly had wines finish at <1.000 and they've been nothing like dry at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

gashead wrote: »
    Checked my gravity reading again and i must have made a mistake somewhere. The gravity reading is 1030, so will my original suggestion work of adding more yeast ?

Add more yeast, but hydrate it first. It will help a bit. You could also make a starter, by drawing off some of your ferment and culturing it up in a flask with some fruit juice. But that is a bit technical.

Making starters and repitching is a common technique in beer making when you are making strong beers, not sure if it completely applies to wine making.

Advertisement