Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here had laser eye treatment?

• 29-09-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭

Anyone here had laser eye treatment? I'm considering it for correcting my distance vision. I know there's a Boards section "Eyeglasses & Contact Lens & Eyecare " but I was interested to hear from anyone here in Limerick who has had it done, and how they found the process and if they were happy with the results

It's hard to get balanced opinions in "Eyeglasses & Contact Lens & Eyecare " because supposedly many of the staff of the various eye laser companies are posting and giving glowing accounts of their own companies' performance. To be expected, I suppose.

Any unbiased opinions here are appreciated & thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes 2006 in Optilase in Dublin. Vision wasn't bad as such but sick of glasses. Best money I ever spent but really weird experience. I had the more invasive "Lasik" done by choice. :eek: It involes a scalpel on your eyeball and obviously your eyes are open so you see everything happening. :eek:

Haven't looked back since.............................................................:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Had it done few months ago best money I ever spent op in cork aftercare in cruises street. Optilase as well

Its the small things like being out in the rain peripheral vision and just the geneal lack of a framed world doesnt stop be going to tap back my glasses every so often :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Had LASIK done in Newbridge in Kildare, one of the best decisions I ever made. It was about 3 years ago and i'm still thoroughly impressed with it.
    You know when you get new glasses and you realise how amazing trees look?
    Everyday is like that now.

Also, as mentioned above, it's a mad experience, but in no way a bad experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

sioda wrote: »
    Had it done few months ago best money I ever spent op in cork aftercare in cruises street. Optilase as well

Its the small things like being out in the rain peripheral vision and just the geneal lack of a framed world doesnt stop be going to tap back my glasses every so often :P
    thinking of getting it done too. Is it expensive or does it depend on your sight.im - 2.25 in both eyes.i see they advertise from 795 per eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Sounds encouraging. I was into Optiase today and had the overlay lenses fitted for a few days trial to simulate the results of the laser treatment.
    Feels a bit weird to be honest.

They are recommending the Monovision (One eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for reading.) but I feel I would prefer both eyes done for distance and I could live with reading glasses.

I'm the wrong side of fifty-five so reading-glasses aren't too big a deal for me.
    It's the sharp distance vision I would like to preserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Comhrá

d1980 wrote: »
    thinking of getting it done too. Is it expensive or does it depend on your sight.im - 2.25 in both eyes.i see they advertise from 795 per eye.

I don't think that €795 per eye is a real option. I was quoted a lot more than that for distance correction for both eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

I had it done about 18 months ago, best money I have ever spent.
    Got it done in Optilase in Cork, the tests etc before hand were in the office in Castletroy but the procedure could only be done in either Cork or Dublin.
    Really quick process, vision was blurry for maybe 2 or 3 hours after getting it done (they advise you to go for a sleepfor a couple hours), perfect vision after that. You have to get a check up the day after to make sure everything is okay and to clear you to drive/operate heavy machinery.
    Would highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it, the freedom from glasses and contact lenses is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Would LOVE to get it done. Is there any place in Limerick that does it? How much roughly would you be paying for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

d1980 wrote: »

I was about the same cost round 2600 which is still good imo for what i have now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Paid €2990 for both eyes and got €1,000 back from Insurance(back in 2006 mind) and then claimed the full €2990 against my tax and received back my tax free allowance back so all in all it only cost me €1400 or something for it to be done. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I did it in one eye in 2001. It was great, but seems to have worn off now. I had to go bact to glasses for driving, watching matches, etc. this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Paid €2990 for both eyes and got €1,000 back from Insurance(back in 2006 mind) and then claimed the full €2990 against my tax and received back my tax free allowance back so all in all it only cost me €1400 or something for it to be done. :D

Tut Tut!!! That's not allowed! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If one of your eyes is worse than the other it might do to just get the bad one done. That worked for me anyway. Well, worked for 12 or 13 years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

tippman1 wrote: »
    Sounds encouraging. I was into Optiase today and had the overlay lenses fitted for a few days trial to simulate the results of the laser treatment.
    Feels a bit weird to be honest.

They are recommending the Monovision (One eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for reading.) but I feel I would prefer both eyes done for distance and I could live with reading glasses.

I'm the wrong side of fifty-five so reading-glasses aren't too big a deal for me.
    It's the sharp distance vision I would like to preserve.

The husband, who's also in his 50's, had a similar procedure done a few years back at the Wellington Eye Clinic up in Dublin. Can't praise them highly enough, and their after care has been excellent.

His eyes were really, really bad but the surgery gave him almost 20/20 vision. He started to struggle with his reading eye earlier this year (they did warn that it wasn't forever) but it was sorted with a bit of laser tweaking!

He hasn't regretted it for one minute and feels that it was worth the trek to Dublin!

http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sanoshea

I have booked in for laser surgery on Friday, wondering if anyone has the €100 referral that I could have, thanks

I have booked in for laser surgery on Friday, wondering if anyone has the €100 referral that I could have, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

A few weeks ago I was out with a young female doctor whose area of speciality was the eye and she said that she wouldn't have laser eye treatment done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

A few weeks ago I was out with a young female doctor whose area of speciality was the eye and she said that she wouldn't have laser eye treatment done.

did she say why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

because of inconsistent outcome and lack of permanency. She said the smell of burning cornea makes you want to vomit too.
    Didn't ask any more after that. I had shown interest in her career so that was that box ticked ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement