Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in the morning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Its amazing how certainly drivers have to slow down when driving over the Douglas flyover in both the mornings and evenings.

Even in lighter traffic today, you could see a ripple effect starting to form where speeds dropped to only 70kph going over it and then once over it, everyone was back up to 100kph.

With the schools back next week, this effect will be multiplied with everyone down to about 40kph going over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Its amazing how certainly drivers have to slow down when driving over the Douglas flyover in both the mornings and evenings.

Even in lighter traffic today, you could see a ripple effect starting to form where speeds dropped to only 70kph going over it and then once over it, everyone was back up to 100kph.

With the schools back next week, this effect will be multiplied with everyone down to about 40kph going over it.

i am wondering, is it rubbernecking at the new tesco, as in are people looking down at the village/center and thats why they slow down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nah...it is the fact the barrier gets close to the car...no hard shoulder. People naturally slow down when that happens as they feel more boxed in or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ludo wrote: »
    Nah...it is the fact the barrier gets close to the car...no hard shoulder. People naturally slow down when that happens as they feel more boxed in or something.

Yeah, just human nature I think.

On a previous thread I pointed out the opposite effect - at the junction of Brian Boru St. and Penrose Wharf in the city centre you have two wide, straight one-way streets intersecting and people inevitably speed up without even thinking about it.

The wide street, no bends and the cars on either side going faster means people just speed up, which in turn means they're more likely to run the lights rather than brake as the lights go red. I've seen several big impacts there, with cars being spun around >180 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Schools back but didn't seem so bad for me today anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ring road was much busier this morning heading east. Not quite as bad as before the mid term break (perhaps people taking 3 day weekend for Halloween) but it was still much busier. I get off at the Mahon slip road (my wife continues on through the tunnel then) and all last week, the roads were clear. This morning, traffic for the tunnel was backed up to about halfway between the Mahon slip road and where the Douglas slip road rejoins the ring. That's not too bad but it's still a huge difference to last week.

Same thing happened this morning.

Bus came out of Black Ash Park and Ride and then decides he shouldn't use the bus lane. What the hell is the point of that bus lane if buses won't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bacchus wrote: »
    Ring road was much busier this morning heading east. Not quite as bad as before the mid term break (perhaps people taking 3 day weekend for Halloween) but it was still much busier. I get off at the Mahon slip road (my wife continues on through the tunnel then) and all last week, the roads were clear. This morning, traffic for the tunnel was backed up to about halfway between the Mahon slip road and where the Douglas slip road rejoins the ring. That's not too bad but it's still a huge difference to last week.

Im going the same way but normally between 5 to and 5 past eight so maybe earlier. Normally blockage starts around ringaskiddy/rochestown exit but much later on and didnt affect me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Schools back but didn't seem so bad for me today anyhow

me too, seemed very quiet heading along Rochestown Rd (well, it moved like) and Douglas was very well behaved/civilised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Im going the same way but normally between 5 to and 5 past eight so maybe earlier. Normally blockage starts around ringaskiddy/rochestown exit but much later on and didnt affect me at all.

Yeah, that's the one I meant (I just called it the Douglas exit). It wasn't as far back as that this morning (at 7:50) but it was more backed up than last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

It's getting much busier at 6.30am now.
    I guess people are leaving earlier as a consequence of the congestion recently.

A few years ago, we used to see a car or three at that hour, now it's frequently like light lunchtime traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Bedlam again this morning all around the east the of the city. Huge tailbacks around Glanmire/Glounthaune/Little Island. Seems there were a few accidents?

who_me wrote: »
    Interesting, how many fit a micro-bus? I'd have thought they'd have a negative effect; replacing 1 bus with 3/4/5/6 micro-buses on the road would only make things worse.

Asked around about this, seems you were correct, issue is not the buses (they ought to be cheaper), but apparently bus drivers are on €53k, so if anything they'd be increasing bus sizes, as the wage bill is so high.

second quiet Monday morning in a row now, what's going on :confused:
    You can even sense the happiness on the roads, people being courteous and stuff, great altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

second quiet Monday morning in a row now, what's going on :confused:
    You can even sense the happiness on the roads, people being courteous and stuff, great altogether :)

:pac: enjoy it while it lasts!

it was bad again in douglas this morning, there is a problem with the sequencing of the lights at the end of the donnybrook hill,

i noticed it yesterday that if you are coming from the park/church side and turning right down the village the lights are skipping green every few sequences, the arrow to go left comes on, then the pedestrians,

on the rare occasion you do get the green light, cars coming down donnybrook hill are filling the yellow box anyway so only one car gets to turn right (if you get lucky)

this morning it backed traffic right up to the maryborough hill so for once the cars turning down that way were blocking the roundabout as opposed to traffic heading towards dunnes.

yep, Douglas was pretty heavy this morning but even given the bad weather it wasn't as heavy as it was at the same time last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Joined south ring at Rochestown/Bloomfield at 9.10 heading west- moving very slowly at that point. Reason....****ERS STOPPED IN DRIVING LANE AT KINSALE ROAD EXIT. Loads of the fools. Nothing to do with Douglas flyover this morning...purely f*cktards stopping rather than joining back of queue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

yep, Douglas was pretty heavy this morning but even given the bad weather it wasn't as heavy as it was at the same time last month.

I've been avoiding Douglas lately, from carrigaline straight to the south ring and its quite a bit better lately, no need to go through Douglas

south ring road was crazy again this morning, while queuing to take the kinsale roundabout exit (coming from Douglas) i saw the traffic backing up alongside me as 2 out 3 cars queued in the 100km/h driving lane to queue jump, and whats worse is a garda bike drove straight passed this happening and didn't even look twice at it, only swerving into the overtaking lane himself to get past them! :mad:

• Advertisement

The light sequence on the kinsale roundabout was all wrong this morning. Caused huge tailbacks.

The light sequence on the kinsale roundabout was all wrong this morning. Caused huge tailbacks.

yep, I noticed it at 8:50 this morning, I was also joining the South Ring from Douglas and as hoodwinked said, it was crazy, the two left-most lanes were basically at a standstill because of people unwilling to join the queue at the back.
    There will be a serious accident some morning if this continues, but sure it's more profitable to catch people speeding :rolleyes:

Worst I've ever seen it this morning. 10 to 8 and the queue was back to Douglas. I might email cork city council about the traffic light sequence

Noticed this myself this morning.

There are a large number of roadworks that have been ongoing for weeks around the city, with seemingly very little progress.

Watercourse Rd, Wilton Rd, Union Quay are the 3 I notice causing traffic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    There are a large number of roadworks that have been ongoing for weeks around the city, with seemingly very little progress.

Watercourse Rd, Wilton Rd, Union Quay are the 3 I notice causing traffic problems.
    It's not just the traffic accidents or roadworks anymore its just that the infrastructure is simply creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

Instead of trying to join the queue for the Kinsale Road roundabout I simply kept going to the Wilton exit and came back onto the Togher slip could have kept going to the Kinsale Road but Togher is nearer my destination, all in all took 5 or 6 minutes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Was just thinking the same. Anyone stuck in hell this morning ? Average journey time is 40 minutes and it took me a grand total of 1 hour 35 -_-. First got stuck on the motorway for a few minutes, dunkettle interchange 10-15 and from just after the mahon exit ALL the way to the kinsale rd roundabout. I considered the wilton exit trick but i thought I might get stuck there. I usually don't have to be in for 9, is it always this bad? There was a time if I wanted to be in for 9, leaving at half 7 would be ok. Not today! If traffic wasn't heavy northbound I'd have f****d off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

rosie16 wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same. Anyone stuck in hell this morning ? Average journey time is 40 minutes and it took me a grand total of 1 hour 35 -_-. First got stuck on the motorway for a few minutes, dunkettle interchange 10-15 and from just after the mahon exit ALL the way to the kinsale rd roundabout. I considered the wilton exit trick but i thought I might get stuck there. I usually don't have to be in for 9, is it always this bad? There was a time if I wanted to be in for 9, leaving at half 7 would be ok. Not today! If traffic wasn't heavy northbound I'd have f****d off home.
    It was great, I was the only car in the lane all the way round, lights turned green just as I coasted towards the last one then on to the Togher turn off where some lovely people from the left give way to every other car, such politeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Jeju wrote: »
    It was great, I was the only car in the lane all the way round, lights turned green just as I coasted towards the last one then on to the Togher turn off where some lovely people from the left give way to every other car, such politeness.

Ahh don't be telling that, you'll make me cry. My only moment of joy was when there was no traffic on the togher bridge. Usually I'd have to suffer there.

Advertisement