Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number

Options
  • 29-09-2014 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi All,

My landlord is looking for my PPS number, I know that if you're renting a property you're obliged to give it but I'm renting a room. Does he need it for the PRTB?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does the LL live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Perhaps he is looking for it in relation to the water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Have you asked your landlord why he needs your pps number?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CONM

Yes, they need it for the PRTB in order to register the tenancy.
    If for some reason you don't have one that's not a problem, they just have to tick a box to that effect on the form.
    This is the form:
    http://www.prtb.ie/docs/default-source/prtb-reg-form-notes-%28english%29/prtb1-form.pdf?sfvrsn=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Does the LL live there?

No he doesn't live here.
    garhjw wrote: »
    Perhaps he is looking for it in relation to the water charges?

Yes, I had thought of that, there's 6 here though so it would take a big form!
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Have you asked your landlord why he needs your pps number?

He said it's for the revenue
    CONM wrote: »
    Yes, they need it for the PRTB in order to register the tenancy.
    If for some reason you don't have one that's not a problem, they just have to tick a box to that effect on the form.
    This is the form:
    http://www.prtb.ie/docs/default-source/prtb-reg-form-notes-%28english%29/prtb1-form.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Thanks for that. In fairness he seems legit, even has the house registered on the PRTB. I thought he might be using it as a way of catching up to someone who skipped out on him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When you're declaring rental income to the Revenue Commissioners (I'm in the middle of doing my annual tax return at the moment)- it does seek the PPSNs of the tenants. It would appear that the landlord is just sitting down, and doing his tax return, at the last minute (as indeed most of us are)..........

If you refuse to give the PPSN- it just means you create a little work for a clerical officer in Revenue- who then has to play mix and match with other information, to determine which is the correct PPSN to ascribe to the return.

As for the Water return being long- with 6 tenants- I'm not sure what the prescribed course of action is- they gave me 4 forms for the one property- I'm in for a case of writer's cramp........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

When you're declaring rental income to the Revenue Commissioners (I'm in the middle of doing my annual tax return at the moment)- it does seek the PPSNs of the tenants. It would appear that the landlord is just sitting down, and doing his tax return, at the last minute (as indeed most of us are)..........

If you refuse to give the PPSN- it just means you create a little work for a clerical officer in Revenue- who then has to play mix and match with other information, to determine which is the correct PPSN to ascribe to the return.

As for the Water return being long- with 6 tenants- I'm not sure what the prescribed course of action is- they gave me 4 forms for the one property- I'm in for a case of writer's cramp........

Four forms! Can you send one to me please? I've gotten nothing yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No he doesn't live here.

Based on this, I am of the understanding that you are protected by tenancy law, even if you're not renting the entire property - and that means your tenancy should be registered with the PRTB.

And as The Conductor said, some people are only just getting round to doing their tax returns now. I'm not sure how well ROS copes if taxpayers don't enter PPSN's for renters (and it would be foolish to not be using the system now that taxpayers have to pay a penalty for not doing their own calculation of tax due).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dmcgahon

Four forms! Can you send one to me please? I've gotten nothing yet :(

They sent me 3. All addressed to me and all for my residence. Wasting money already.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

:confused:

Form 11 and Form 12 both only seek the PPSN of tenants in the case that the landlord is non-resident and the tenant is deducting tax and forwarding it to Revenue on the landlord's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mrs vimes wrote: »
    :confused:

Form 11 and Form 12 both only seek the PPSN of tenants in the case that the landlord is non-resident and the tenant is deducting tax and forwarding it to Revenue on the landlord's behalf.

Some tenants have pro-actively deducted witholding tax, on the basis of confusion with the letting agent (who also manages a number of properties on behalf of my siblings (6), who are all non-resident). It just means I'll get a refund when Revenue send me a balancing statement. Have to complete the form though. I go through this every year.

Advertisement