Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Born and the Baby seats

Options
  • 29-09-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Our first born is due in December and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations regarding Baby Seats,

Which ones,

What combinations are best?

Best place to buy.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Having had 2 kids I wouldnt recommend anyone to get a 3 in 1 pram .

Both my sons were out of the baby seat that should have been ok to 9 months within 4 months.
    We never used the seat to move them in when out shopping and always put them in the pram. Being in a car seat for hours on end effects their ability to breathe.

Its recommended that they should be in them an hour max and taken out to stretch.

We got an Extended Rear Facing seat which does up to 4 years old from baby (or 9 months depending on the seat).
    There's a big thread on them but we got the Be Safe Izi as it was reverse (isofix) and forward facing. My 4 year old was out of it by 3 but hes very tall. They're expensive but in my view worth the money. We kept him reversed till he was 2 which is much safer than forward facing. It also had a height adjustable head rest which others dont.
    There are stores in the north and Sweden who can ship here cheaper than buying here but we got ours in Murphys in Rathcoole. Keayls in Walkinstown also have them.Both were very helpful in fitting them to try the seat out in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Having had 2 kids I wouldnt recommend anyone to get a 3 in 1 pram .

Both my sons were out of the baby seat that should have been ok to 9 months within 4 months.
    We never used the seat to move them in when out shopping and always put them in the pram. Being in a car seat for hours on end effects their ability to breathe.

Its recommended that they should be in them an hour max and taken out to stretch.

We got an Extended Rear Facing seat which does up to 4 years old from baby (or 9 months depending on the seat).
    There's a big thread on them but we got the Be Safe Izi as it was reverse (isofix) and forward facing. My 4 year old was out of it by 3 but hes very tall. They're expensive but in my view worth the money. We kept him reversed till he was 2 which is much safer than forward facing. It also had a height adjustable head rest which others dont.
    There are stores in the north and Sweden who can ship here cheaper than buying here but we got ours in Murphys in Rathcoole. Keayls in Walkinstown also have them.Both were very helpful in fitting them to try the seat out in the car.

I have to agree with all the above! Our baby was out of his baby seat at 6months :( I have since bought a ERF seat britax max fix 2 that is from 0-18kg and a britax two way elite 9-25kg. I bought them from Belfast. (Who are amazing and know everything there is to know about car seats) I had the besafe izi go (baby seat) and would of gotten the besafe izi combi but it didn't fit in my car :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 4 and would recommend get a travel system and a proper buggy.
    All my babies got at least 12 months out of the maxi cosi car seat an 2 got 15 months out of it,#4 is still in it.
    It depends on your requirements - do you plan to have more kids? now or in 5 years?
    DO you walk a lot?
    DO you live in the city or country?
    Is space an issue?
    DOes your car have isofix?
    Will you be switching the seat between cars?

I also have a besafe extended rear facing seat which mine stayed in 1 until 3 and my 3 1/2 year old would have a lot of space left in it but there is no way my tall 5 year old would fit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got at least 12 months out of the Maxi Cosi first time and used it again on my second and got 11 months (he was taller).

I love a proper pram for babies, much cosier than forward facing lie flat buggies. I am still using our 'travel system' and don't use a light stroller.

I have the BeSafe one and my two and half year old has loads of room in it. Kealy's guy said most people get at least up to four out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

We had a Quinny Buzz travel system on our first along with the Maxi Cosi Pebble car seat - she still fits in the pebble and she's 1 this week! She'll be going into the next stage Pearl in the next few weeks though.
    The Quinny pram part was sooo cosy - she would sleep in it no bother.
    Have an iCandy Peach double bought recently as #2 is on the way next month, and the bassinet looks a teeny bit smaller than the Quinny...but we'll see how we get on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maxi cosi and a buggy with big wheels (easy to push) is all you need.

If you're not bothered about putting the car seat on the chassis of a travel system, the BeSafe Izi Combi is suitable from birth up to 18kgs.

We used it from about 6 months.
    Unfortunately we only got to just over age 3 with it, I think the "up to 4" thing is based on smaller children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If you're not bothered about putting the car seat on the chassis of a travel system, the BeSafe Izi Combi is suitable from birth up to 18kgs.

Unfortunately we only got to just over age 3 with it, I think the "up to 4" thing is based on smaller children.

I wish I had just gotten the 0-18kg from the word go! I never really put my car seat on the chassis as I was paranoid about how long he was in it! The besafe izi combi is fab! I would of gotten it but it was too big for my car :(
    I was told that my boy will really only get to around 2 and a half/3 in his max fix 2 but should get till 4 in his two way elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We had a maxi-cosy, grand yoke .. What ever you buy ,get it fitted(make sure it sits in your car seats right) ..
    We got it in tony keally's , when smally was nearly 1,we went back to get next seat , girl in shop checked the seat we'd picked in our car , then said we didn't need new seat for at least a month (and baby was safer in maxi-cozy) , and to come back then .... Absolutely no hard sell ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Millem wrote: »
    I wish I had just gotten the 0-18kg from the word go! I never really put my car seat on the chassis as I was paranoid about how long he was in it!.

This is a good point, I was always conscious of this in the early months too. I think they're not meant to be left in the carseat for more than an hour at a time, ideally? So I was usually happier to just move him from the carseat to his buggy when we got to wherever we were going. Also it's a lot easier on the back to lift the baby into the buggy than to lift carseat plus baby and fit it onto the buggy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Maxi Cosi cabrio seat used it until he was 13 months and then got the Maxi Cosi Rubi, very happy with both seats.
    I found the cabrio great for clicking in and out of pushchair and back to car so handy for out and about, used it with the Mamas and Papas sola pushchair and the maxi cosi adaptors, still use the pushchair he is now aged 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got the Kiddy Guardian Pro (thanks to Moonbeam)for our eldest when he was too big for the be safe izi. In theory it will do till he's 12. He loves it.

The irish rep came out to the house and we tried it out and then bought from the UK at a fraction of the price.

Advertisement