Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petrol stretching in sligo

Options
  • 29-09-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been caught with this? I've just dodged a bullet and gotten away with a bad tank, aside from the engine being jerky and close to cutting out there was no harm done but others may not be so lucky.
    Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Has anyone been caught with this? I've just dodged a bullet and gotten away with a bad tank, aside from the engine being jerky and close to cutting out there was no harm done but others may not be so lucky.
    Anyone else experience this?

I've heard quite a lot of rumours of places all over the county that people suspect are doing this, but that's all they've been so far.
    I only buy fuel from one spot in town and never have had a problem in years. It might be worth reporting to see if it is indeed bad fuel or a problem with the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

rizzodun wrote: »
    I've heard quite a lot of rumours of places all over the county that people suspect are doing this, but that's all they've been so far.
    I only buy fuel from one spot in town and never have had a problem in years. It might be worth reporting to see if it is indeed bad fuel or a problem with the car itself.

I'm just back from the mechanic and he thinks it's was fiddled petrol too. He asked where I bought the petrol and smiled and nodded when I told him.
    Who would be the relevant authority to contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Revenue would be very interested I would guess.

Gardai and file a report also.

Get fuel tested even if in doubt fill up a jerry can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'm just back from the mechanic and he thinks it's was fiddled petrol too. He asked where I bought the petrol and smiled and nodded when I told him.
    Who would be the relevant authority to contact?

I think it falls under the remit of Customs/Revenue, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I think everyone knows the location in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah I think I know where you're on about alright. would stay well clear. i'm sticking with the regular spot not worth it for the sake of a few cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I had problems with my car a few months back and came to the conclusion it had to be down to the fuel. Although my car is diesel I would use one of 4 garages in and around town to fill up and have used the same 4 garages for over 6 years and never a problem until this July. The car was jerky and very flat, also acceleration slowed right down. I actually questioned had I put the correct fuel in in the first place but knew I had. It was very intermittent though, some days fine, others not. I was even blaming the hot spell of weather at one point. By coincidence, it had a service due so I sent it in and told the mechanic of my recent problems, asked him could he give it a thorough check for me. He did the full service on it and said that he could find no faults at all. The week after this, the car was at it again. By this time, I knew it had to be fuel causing this as all other options were ruled out. I remembered that twice I had bother after filling up at one certain spot, so decided never to go there again and opted to pay a bit more at another one. So I did this and as all seemed well, decided to stick to going to only that. Since July, I have had not a bother at all, not once and I do believe it was the fuel to blame. As said above,its worth a few extra cents. If my car is happy, I am happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

A PM would be nice for those of us that aren't exactly sure of where ye're on about.

Edit: PM received. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Yeah wouldnt mind a PM either, Fill up at a few different places around town, not fuusy, wouldnt mind knowing where to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Same here please.

• Advertisement

Me too please!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

me too..please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

A quick google leads you back to links on this site;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Would like a heads up too please

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

Wouldn't mind a PM either, Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What road in Sligo should I avoid when low on fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

Would appreciate a pm from anyone who knows the filling station in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Have my suspicions but a pm would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would really appreciate a pm as well as sometimes get petrol in Sligo when passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think I know the outlet in question but could someone pm me with the place to confirm it? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I assume the palace in question could possibly be down the quays? I have noticed petrol doesn't last very long when purchased from there,nor does the home heating oil in barrells.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

Like many I have suspicions but a PM would be appreciated if you're not sick of them yet!

Cheers

6781 wrote: »
    What road in Sligo should I avoid when low on fuel?

Without walking myself or indeed boards into any legal problems i won't totally spell it out but just so you know, the place isn't on a main Rd and is in the town but a bit out of the way.
    A friend used to say if it's cheap it's cheap for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

could I have a PM too, please?

Thanks
    JJ

Oh and my engine management light came on last night so I didn't escape unscathed after all

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Oh and my engine management light came on last night so I didn't escape unscathed after all

Oh Dear, sorry to hear that. Hope its not too costly for you to fix. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Without walking myself or indeed boards into any legal problems i won't totally spell it out but just so you know, the place isn't on a main Rd and is in the town but a bit out of the way.
    A friend used to say if it's cheap it's cheap for a reason
    That wasn't the place mentioned to me by PM.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That wasn't the place mentioned to me by PM.

Ask the person that sent the pm. If they got their engine damaged too then fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Could I have a pm on this too please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I assume the palace in question could possibly be down the quays? I have noticed petrol doesn't last very long when purchased from there,nor does the home heating oil in barrells.

But that place comes up so much, the whole County must know about it. I know there was hassle there in the past. But surely they've cleaned up their act, otherwise wouldn't the authorities pay them another visit.

Advertisement