Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petrol stretching in sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I resent your comment above and have no idea what you are insinuating Red Sean. I still shop at the place I had trouble with, just not for fuel. We are all free to voice and share our opinions and I can assure you I have no ulterior motives! Peace out.

I'm not insinuating anything, I simply asked was there solid evidence to link a particular filling station to illegal activity.
    Yes I agree that tampering with fuel is a despicable practice and should be reported to the revenue immediately. Personally. I would report the matter if I had a serious suspicion that the damage caused to my engine was a result of purchasing contaminated fuel and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

so where is this place? is it near the IT or the Quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »
    IPersonally. I would report the matter if I had a serious suspicion that the damage caused to my engine was a result of purchasing contaminated fuel and let them deal with it.

I agree. If some scumbag petrol station damaged my car with dodgy fuel. I'd be on the phone to Customs & the Gardái quicker than I could blink. Rather than fart about on the internet with cryptic time wasting, that raises more questions than it resolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

booooonzo wrote: »
    so where is this place? is it near the IT or the Quays?
    If I were a student I wouldn't be worrying about petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ectoraige wrote: »
    If I were a student I wouldn't be worrying about petrol.

Perhaps you wouldn't be making assumptions either?

• Advertisement

Perhaps you wouldn't be making assumptions either?

Perhaps I wasn't making an assumption. When I was a student I didn't even have a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ectoraige wrote: »
    Perhaps I wasn't making an assumption. When I was a student I didn't even have a car!

Fantastic, but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 af12

I agree. If some scumbag petrol station damaged my car with dodgy fuel. I'd be on the phone to Customs & the Gardái quicker than I could blink. Rather than fart about on the internet with cryptic time wasting, that raises more questions than it resolves.
    how do you know the issue has not been reported already? Don't think anybody is farting about.

Fantastic, but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

I was just reading the question about the Quays or the IT, and I thought to myself, if I were a student I wouldn't be worrying about petrol.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

PM please o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

af12 wrote: »
    how do you know the issue has not been reported already? Don't think anybody is farting about.

The OP made absolutely no mention of this at the start of the thread. In their second post, they asked who should they contact. But since then, they have not given any confirmation of whether they actually notified the relevant authorities or not. I'm also still totally in the dark as to where this filling station is.

A thread was started to warn people, people still have no idea of where the poster is talking about. The OP said they won't even mention it via PM. So what's the point of the thread if people are non the wiser? At least if the OP confirmed for us that they notified the relevant authorities. At least then we'd know action has been taken on this matter. Rather than be left scratching our heads over it and wondering if we're filling up at a cowboy outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gall2005

Could I get a pm with this too. Iv just got watered down petrol that has done damage to my engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Would also appreciate a
    pm, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

pm lease, from anyone? cheers. I always buy in the same place from a pump that is dedicated to dci, I assume this would all be reasonable quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

DCI or not DCI petrol inside the tank is the same;)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Aw jaysus. How long does a business expect to get away with this.

Can someone please PM me so I can avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

GG66 wrote: »
    Aw jaysus. How long does a business expect to get away with this.

Can someone please PM me so I can avoid

Thread has being going a couple of months. Maybe they have already been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 poor sick passat

My 131 car went into the garage in Dublin 2weeks ago with lack of power and stalling in the morning when cold.
    Garage says it is bad fuel, if it is only one tank, will I be okay to continue using the car.

Garage obvioulsy is advising of not driving until repaired and have taken to main dealership as a 131, they have given me a massive quote to repair say needs new bits everywhere , quote is nicely above €7000.

So the question is , what happens if I keep driving, will it clear? Petrol sample came out as clean, but the bad one could have been 5 fills ago?

And sure can I do much more damage than the massive wrote already?

Has anyone from the sligo area or these posts come out of this fine after a bad fill, or does everyone have to have a massive repair costing minimum of say 2-3,000?

The garage I have the car in now has 3 cars, they say all the same, and it seems we are that the other cars are sitting their with the owners unable to pay the repair bill.

Can anyone shine some light, or just keep hoping for the winning streak appearance, and a new car from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

My 131 car went into the garage in Dublin 2weeks ago with lack of power and stalling in the morning when cold.
    Garage says it is bad fuel, if it is only one tank, will I be okay to continue using the car.

Garage obvioulsy is advising of not driving until repaired and have taken to main dealership as a 131, they have given me a massive quote to repair say needs new bits everywhere , quote is nicely above €7000.

So the question is , what happens if I keep driving, will it clear? Petrol sample came out as clean, but the bad one could have been 5 fills ago?

And sure can I do much more damage than the massive wrote already?

Has anyone from the sligo area or these posts come out of this fine after a bad fill, or does everyone have to have a massive repair costing minimum of say 2-3,000?

The garage I have the car in now has 3 cars, they say all the same, and it seems we are that the other cars are sitting their with the owners unable to pay the repair bill.

Can anyone shine some light, or just keep hoping for the winning streak appearance, and a new car from them.

What exactly are they doing to the tune of €7000? An engine strip and rebuild would be considerably less than that.

Also, they blame bad fuel but can't actually prove that is the case?

Maybe you should get a second opinion, and ask over on the motors forum too, people more experienced there may be able to help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

EDIT: I see you've already asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Guys can i have a PM with the location as well please - my car is my living and i can't afford problems. Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

Would also really appreciate a PM with the location - finances really tight these days so couldn't afford something happening to my car - thanks in advance

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Could I get a PM as well please?
    I have my suspicions....

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Sorry in advance for the following long post which is based upon my opinion and experience and you are all welcome to ignore it entirely just as many do. :confused:

Basically this thread is a nonsense populated with Chinese Whispers and nudge-nudge wink-wink suggested garages whose fuel will cause vehicles to spontaneously combust whilst their ignition key is turned immediately after a quick E20 fill-up.
    Whilst people may be thinking that they are getting good advice there is no evidence that anything suggested via a private mail is in anyways accurate or true and is as likely to be just misleading regardless of how well intentioned it may be.
    Nobody here it seems will make a clear and proven accurate statement as to which service stations supply this modified fuel other than to forward on what they’ve been told by a stranger via a PM on an internet forum as if it is the third secret of Fatima.

I can however recount my own experience in regards to this and please bear in mind that I have absolutely no connection with any company mentioned.
    It was suggested to me that the service stations that were possible sources of tainted fuel and those to avoid were a round-the-clock station in Sligo while the other was located near the quays.
    I can’t comment upon the first that is referred to other than I’ve also heard it suggested but I never use the place as I’m seldom that side of town and it’s a pain in the arse getting in & out.
    As regards the premises located near the quays then it will be one of two possibilities.

One of these is Sligo Fuels and again I have heard the rumours over the years but despite this I have generally used them for diesel and continue to do so.
    I do this based on having switched to them from the nearby Shell, for reasons nothing to do with fuel quality, many years ago.
    I bought a VW Transporter campervan in 2004 with 30k miles and have nearly always sourced her fuel from them since, yet despite this and there now being approx. 230k miles on her my van still runs like a clock in fact I think she’s probably running better than ever.
    Equally I put approx. 30k on an Audi A4 over a period of 18months with 80% of my diesel fuel sourced here and again no problems.
    My current car has 20k miles since I got it and I generally fill up 50:50 here and the Topaz garage in Kilkelly as I have been commuting between Sligo & Galway for the last 3 years and this too has yet to explode in a mushroom cloud as I splutter past Connaught Gold.

Up until the Topaz garage reopened in Kilkelly I regularly used another service station from which I used to fill up and which also offered the cheapest fuel between Sligo & Galway.
    This was fine initially except I began to notice that both my van and then my car seemed to be down on power and that a full tank was not lasting as long as it should.
    I switched to the Kilkelly garage and things improved.

Whilst I’m no Mario Andretti I will drive hard enough but often I will also drive like I’ve got Miss Daisy in the back.
    All my motors are regularly serviced by myself, oil changes 5 – 8k miles with filter changes every second oil change.
    I record both my mileage and average consumption with every full tank of fuel.
    Weekly I will drive trips in excess of 90+ miles as well as short spins ‘round town and to nearby parts of whatever county I happen to be in.
    A lot of modern diesels have been bought in the misguided belief that they were cheap to run and to avail of lower motor tax based on emissions; often a mistake as diesels suit particular user requirements and driving style.
    The vast majority of people that have bought diesels over the last few years would be much better serviced by having bought a modern clean petrol motor and unfortunately a lot of diesels are now experiencing reliability issues that previous more robust diesel cars did not, often due to being asked to do what they were never designed to do i.e. perform as a petrol car.

Both places near the quays are established for years, are very prominent and very busy.
    If they were acting the mick then we’d all know about it and prosecutions and other civil legal actions would be taking place on a regular basis and be well publicised.
    As far as I’m aware this is not the case.

If fuel is being sold noticeably cheaper than most other outlets, perhaps in an unbranded unaffiliated station, then I’d generally consider it to be too good to be true and suggest you use your head and whatever common sense you may have been gifted with.
    There is a difference between cheap and good-value and often cheap will end up being anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

FirstinLastout you haven't understood what petrol stretching is have you? It it could just be some <not nice person> diluting the tanker he's driving before delivery. it can happen anywhere, anytime.

I will agree the Chinese whispers here won't do much, but what else are people to do to save themselves €000's of damage?

There is no real way to police it.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It's not 'some not nice person' just diluting a tanker at random. It's an organised attempt to make fuel last longer by adding a cheaper additive or substitute and selling it for a slightly cheaper price.

FirstinLastout may have been talking about his experience of diesel's but more or less he's right, all the cloak and dagger here is a bit nonsense. If the price is too good to be true then it probably is.

Saving 3 cent on the litre will save you 1.50 on 50 litres, is that enough to risk the end of an engine?

It's simple, if you have doubts then stick to branded stations, there is a lower chance their fuel will be tainted. If you have proof then notify the revenue & customs who I'm sure will have no problem following up with a quick sampling of the tank.

I fill at two places in Sligo, Mullens Esso on the Bundoran Road, and Top in Ballygawley, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

FirstinLastout you haven't understood what petrol stretching is have you? It it could just be some <not nice person> diluting the tanker he's driving before delivery. it can happen anywhere, anytime.

I will agree the Chinese whispers here won't do much, but what else are people to do to save themselves €000's of damage?

There is no real way to police it.

Nate

I dont think FirstinLastout's post suggests he doesn't understand what petrol stretching is.

Its just his experiences of using a well maintained car through some of the 'cheeper' service stations in town.

I too have previously used some of the cheeper stations, and whilst like FiLo I'm not driving like a race driver, I did experience a better drive from the more expensive ones, thankfully without the full engine breakdown.

I think this PM me PM me stuff is ridiculous as well, you get what you pay for. If you really really care for your car, you put the best fuel you can in it, the best tyres you can, service it regulary, etc etc etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Like Firstinlastout I buy most, probably 90% of the c.2000 litres of diesel I use annually, in sligo fuels. I've had my current A4 for 3 1/2 years and travelled over 70 k miles, bringing it in total to well over 100k. It gets serviced like clock work in Audi Sligo, and rarely does a journey of less than 20 miles as we've a little petrol runabout too.
    The car has had no repairs done and never suffered any loss of power. I probably drive slightly harder than average, with virtually all mileageon this car on N roads.
    The point of this is that given my journey profile, which many would say is ideal for a diesel engine, any engine problem eg injectors, could probably be fairly attributed to the fuel I use.
    There have been none!
    I have no connection to Sligo fuels, or indeed audi sligo, other than being a happy customer of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 k_Damaged Car

has anyone been successful in claiming repairs through your insurance company?
    I have a fiesta which has been effected and i have been told drive it until it dies - not exactly comforting - but i am looking for some constructive help on how i can keep my car on the road and if possible get payout from insurance.
    We pay high insurance rates for this reason to help when an incident that isn't your fault damages your car! please help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 poor sick passat

K damaged car,

I tried to find this out, and no one could suggest anything about how best to go forward (excusing the pun). I am going down the road of a repair, I think the longer you drive it the more damage you will do other parts in your engine, but i do not know for sure!

My insurance would not pay, had a clause in that any case of bad fuels they would pay for cleaning out of these fuels an this is to a max of 500, my repair bill with the vw dealership was quoted at 9180!! so I had to take it out and get it done somewhere cheaper as I could not afford this.

But if you look at the other thread and poor sick audi, her insurance has paid out, you need to read the small print.

Advertisement