Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Gravy ?

Options
  • 29-09-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

We all know the taste, they sell it in all carvery's... Does anyone know what type it is? It has to be some brand they buy in bulk from..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

It's real gravy. Made from the juices of the cooked meats. Not your instant ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Daithi07 wrote: »
    It's real gravy. Made from the juices of the cooked meats. Not your instant ****e!
    Really? I've eaten some carvery meals that were clearly made with Bisto or the like.

@OP - It would vary from place to place. Your best bet would be to ask one of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Really? I've eat some carvery meals that were clearly made with Bisto or the like.
    I would have thought a lot would be packet too.

There might be a brand many use, like how a lot of italian chippers have the same or very similar curry sauces.

I like browsing on musgraves cash & carry site. They have a "pub range" section in it and it is listing knorr, oxo and SFC brands of gravy in it.

http://www.musgravemarketplace.ie/First-For-Value/Latest-Offers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I make my own and it tastes even nicer than carvery gravy.

Get two tablespoons of Quixo gravy granules, available from Aldi, throw in a Knorr Rich Beef Stockpot and a teaspoon of Bovril, top halfway with boiling water.
    Boil it, simmer it, stir it.
    Delicious.

Full of salt, but sure what the heck...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fussyonion wrote: »
    Knorr Rich Beef Stockpot
    I found these very good, I thought they were expensive but 1 little pot does 500ml, so I only need half one and stuck the other bit in the freezer, which actually did not really freeze. The larger packs with 8 are a lot cheaper per unit that the 4 packs, in tesco anyway.

I fried off an onion on a low heat stirred the pot in with water and liquidised it. I added a little cold water mixed with cornflour to thicken it but it was already quite thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

rubadub wrote: »
    I found these very good, I thought they were expensive but 1 little pot does 500ml, so I only need half one and stuck the other bit in the freezer, which actually did not really freeze. The larger packs with 8 are a lot cheaper per unit that the 4 packs, in tesco anyway.

I fried off an onion on a low heat stirred the pot in with water and liquidised it. I added a little cold water mixed with cornflour to thicken it but it was already quite thick.

Yeah they're a bit pricey alright. Getting the Rich Beef one as opposed to the normal Beef one makes all the difference in flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I make my own and it was famous in a pub in Harolds Cross for its taste

I used -

The juice off the beef and the turkey after roasting. (I cooked them on steam then roast to get plenty)
    Beef Bouillon
    Chicken Bouillon
    Gravy Browning

Thickened with a roux

I still get people asking me for it 4 years after leaving the pub

Advertisement