Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon monoxide alarms

Options
  • 29-09-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

just wondering does anyone know is there any plans afoot for carbon monoxide alarms to be introduced into ETCI regulations?????

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/carbon-monoxide-alarms-to-be-compulsory-from-september-1.1783665

has anyone hardwired these detectors and if so where did you source them and at what prices?

also are there dual smoke/ carbon monoxide, heat/ carbon monoxide detectors available? and has anybody used them?

they may be more suitable instead of having numerous detectors hanging out of a ceiling.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

evosteo wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone know is there any plans afoot for carbon monoxide alarms to be introduced into ETCI regulations?????

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/carbon-monoxide-alarms-to-be-compulsory-from-september-1.1783665

has anyone hardwired these detectors and if so where did you source them and at what prices?

also are there dual smoke/ carbon monoxide, heat/ carbon monoxide detectors available? and has anybody used them?

they may be more suitable instead of having numerous detectors hanging out of a ceiling.

There's new building regs on CO alarms

Someone posted it here recently

Et101 doesn't deal with domestic alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've been looking for details of ETCI regs in relation to CO alarms and haven't found anything. Has anyone any update on this given that this thread is three years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Effects wrote:
    I've been looking for details of ETCI regs in relation to CO alarms and haven't found anything. Has anyone any update on this given that this thread is three years old?

It's not in the ETCI regs. It's a building regulation, you need one in the same room as a gas boiler or enclosed stove etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stoner wrote: »
    It's not in the ETCI regs. It's a building regulation, you need one in the same room as a gas boiler or enclosed stove etc

Or gas hob, big signage to that effect over the gas hobs last time I was on Power City. I bought a CO alarm for the kitchen because I was getting an RGI to swap out my old hob with a new one and the signs in Power City said that a CO alarm was mandatory for new gas installs.

My RGI did the install, filled out the required paperwork, handed it to me but never mentioned an alarm!

Stoner wrote: »

I guess I would have expected some kind of alarm tied in to the linked heat and smoke detectors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

It should be linked in also in a two story building a carbon monoxide alarm has to be installed in room where chimney is passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The next protect is a good job combined smoke and carbon monoxide detector, a bit pricy I've three in my place.

I've the carbon monoxide heat and smoke detectors wired in onto my security alarm all linked up, that's another option, one is wireless no issues with it

I haven't had a close look at the units, they may be combined. Electrical breakdown lists 6 smoke and 1 CO. There's six units installed.

How many bedroom is your house and is it a bungalow or two story?

It's a two story. Two bedrooms downstairs as well as bathroom. Open plan kitchen and living space upstairs and a small study. Boiler is in the bathroom downstairs. External air supply stove upstairs.
    There's detectors in the bedrooms and hall, one in the study, one in kitchen area and one in living area.

• Advertisement

Is it a brand new build or rewire?

Brand new. I'm already annoyed that the wiring doesn't conform to the new T&E earthing rules. It was wired 8 weeks but only getting tested and certified today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is it possible to have a combined heat and Carbon monoxide unit resuve clutter on a ceiling? I know Smoke+Carbon monoxide are available.

Situation is sitting room with a stove. As you know a smoke dectector is not practical at all, so i have a mains heat detector with a battery monoxide near the stove.

Advertisement