Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant won't leave & filed dispute with PRTB

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

But you can't collect the debt until all the PRTB stuff is sorted out. If you're harassing the tenants with debt collectors (I don't even know if they'd take on anything like this) then it will act against you in any dealings with the PRTB case.

Harassment is quite subjective. You are entitled to try to collect what you are owed. If you use an agent to do this for you, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Harassment is quite subjective. You are entitled to try to collect what you are owed. If you use an agent to do this for you, so be it.

The tenants are also afforded 'peaceful occupation' of the home while the legislation already establishes the route for recovery of rent arrears, via notice of arrears and PRTB.

The tenants are also afforded 'peaceful occupation' of the home while the legislation already establishes the route for recovery of rent arrears, via notice of arrears and PRTB.

Debt collection services exist for a reason. People owe money.

Debt collection services exist for a reason. People owe money.

Are you just ignoring the bit where I said it's against the legislation? It's therefore unlawful

Are you just ignoring the bit where I said it's against the legislation? It's therefore unlawful
    I don't agree with you that it's unlawful for someone or their agent to ask for monies due as per the lease agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

So if a business is owed money by somebody and its dragging on and on, they have to go through the court system (which in this country takes a hell of a long time) before they can engage the services of a debt collection agency?

groovyg wrote: »
    So if a business is owed money by somebody and its dragging on and on, they have to go through the court system (which in this country takes a hell of a long time) before they can engage the services of a debt collection agency?

The RTA 2004 doesn't cover them.

I don't agree with you that it's unlawful for someone or their agent to ask for monies due as per the lease agreement.

It's spelled out in black and white in the RTA 2004, what the correct procedure is. The OP has undertaken this procedure. You're fine to recover the debt after the legal procedings have been concluded. Until then, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

It's spelled out in black and white in the RTA 2004, what the correct procedure is. The OP has undertaken this procedure. You're fine to recover the debt after the legal procedings have been concluded. Until then, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

...in your opinion!!!

...in your opinion!!!

Okay fine, let's proceed with the behaviour you extol. Firstly, you need to get the debt collection agency to buy the debt, which they wouldn't because the risk is too high. Next the debt collector has to attempt to get payment from the tenants, which they won't since they don't have the money and aren't paying the landlord. Then, they can threaten legal action, which is already ongoing with the PRTB anyway.

Therefore, no benefit, all risk. I don't see how a debt collection agency is going to convince them to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

No debt collector is going to take on a case chasing arrears from an in situ tenant because the RTA prevents them from doing so. Its not that hard.

In the past I have offered debt collection agencies up to 50% of what they can collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In the past I have offered debt collection agencies up to 50% of what they can collect.

50% of nothing = nothing .

Then if you fall foul of the PTRB you end up paying big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Okay fine, let's proceed with the behaviour you extol. Firstly, you need to get the debt collection agency to buy the debt, which they wouldn't because the risk is too high. Next the debt collector has to attempt to get payment from the tenants, which they won't since they don't have the money and aren't paying the landlord. Then, they can threaten legal action, which is already ongoing with the PRTB anyway.

Therefore, no benefit, all risk. I don't see how a debt collection agency is going to convince them to move.
    Don't forget that the tenants are perfectly entitled to bring a case against the landlord for not giving them peaceful occupation of the property and for having debt collectors calling unannounced.

The landlord or their agents are not allowed to just turn up at the door for any reason without first giving notice and having the permission of the tenant! This covers debt collection agents or anyone else employed or contracted by the landlord except for access required in an emergency!

Advertisement