Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries in countryside

• 30-09-2014 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Does anyone know how the elderly in rural communities can be protected from burglaries, they are so vulnerable i wonder if technology will ever prevent these crimes? It's shocking when old people are terrorised in their homes i know of a case recently and the old man was really terrified. I know it founds extreme me but when I was driving through a town today i say the army and guards protecting the cash vans delivering to the banks surely the army could also protect our eldely in rural communities? Who really don't stand a chance when thugs terriose them anyone any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I understand your concerns, I feel outraged when I hear news reports of yet another elderly person or couple being robbed or assaulted by these bullying cowards. I could give you a detailed account of what I believe the punishment for these "people" should be but I'd probably be arrested for incitement to violence or something. The obvious technical protections are monitored house alarms and personal emergency alarms by way of pendant or bracelet, together with good strong locks on doors with heavy duty security chains on every door to the outside and security locks on all the windows. With monitored house alarms it's possible to have a panic button in the bedroom that can be pressed in an emergency but a good solid bedroom door with a lock and a chain would be advisable as an extra layer of protection inside the house at night. Timer plugs that can be programmed for intermittent on times for lamps during hours of darkness are useful in that they may cause an element of doubt or confusion to the criminal, I use them for on/off times of electric blankets in winter but they're great for electric heaters and all kinds of lamps and are usually very reasonable to buy.

There are always drawbacks though such as barricading ourselves in so tightly that in the event of a medical emergency or a fire, emergency services would have quite a job reaching the person in a hurry. Pluses and minuses, as always. There will always be lazy goodfornothings whose philosophy is "what's yours is mine and what's mine's me own" but we can put as many obstacles in their path as possible..........it all takes money though and sadly, that's what many of our old folk don't have a lot of these days.

Advertisement