Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Friday 10/10/2014 11.3km @ 5:34/km ~ 7miles @ 8:58/mile

Easy/recovery run. Legs a bit tired/tight so took a handy one. Lovely evening for it, seemed to be loads of people out running today.

Really tired lately, not tired like I didn't sleep last night(still getting usual qty), just tired in general. Find myself nodding off on chair at night. Hopefully its just the training over the last few weeks and will improve during taper period...

Old age......

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

martyboy48 wrote:
    Really tired lately, not tired like I didn't sleep last night(still getting usual qty), just tired in general. Find myself nodding off on chair at night. Hopefully its just the training over the last few weeks and will improve during taper period...

I'm the exact same Marty. I'm fine running etc but come evening time I'm not very good company. I'm good for bed early but cannot sleep in. Hopefully the taper will sort us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Old age......

Ha ha, quality answer :D I'll have you know I'll be like a spring lamb leapin' around the place when the taper period kicks in :D
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same Marty. I'm fine running etc but come evening time I'm not very good company. I'm good for bed early but cannot sleep in. Hopefully the taper will sort us.

Hopefully it will. It's probably to be expected at this stage of the plan but I think I'm turning into a Victor Meldrew type of character sometimes lately :D
    Not like me at all!!!!!!!

Saturday 11/10/2014 14.2km @ 5:03/km ~ 8.8 miles @ 8.08/mile

Nothing to report, all well :)

Sunday 12/10/2014 27.6km @ 5:18/km ~ 17miles @ 8:32/mile

Last long run of note, took it casual and didn't do any MP miles. Was only when I got home that I thought maybe I should have... Fook it, it's done anyway :)

Seen on DOCO12's log she going to make effort with foam rolling. I think I should follow suit. On the runs lately I'm getting a bit of cramping in my right calf. Nothing to serious I hope as it only lasts about 30 seconds at a time. Running while toes pointed up(heel striking) usually sorts it. It's not at the end of a run either or a tough one, it just pops up the odd time lately... So another thing on my to do list :D

excitement build on a daily basis, every day in work I'm reminiscing DCM'13 and all it's emotions... What a roller coaster that was..... Ahhhhh.. Good times :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sunday 12/10/2014 27.6km @ 5:18/km ~ 17miles @ 8:32/mile

Last long run of note, took it casual and didn't do any MP miles. Was only when I got home that I thought maybe I should have... Fook it, it's done anyway :)

Seen on DOCO12's log she going to make effort with foam rolling. I think I should follow suit. On the runs lately I'm getting a bit of cramping in my right calf. Nothing to serious I hope as it only lasts about 30 seconds at a time. Running while toes pointed up(heel striking) usually sorts it. It's not at the end of a run either or a tough one, it just pops up the odd time lately... So another thing on my to do list :D

excitement build on a daily basis, every day in work I'm reminiscing DCM'13 and all it's emotions... What a roller coaster that was..... Ahhhhh.. Good times :)

Get rolling Marty!!!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Get rolling Marty!!!!

Do as the woman says Marty!

Monday 13/10/2014 Rest

Tuesday 14/10/2014 11.7km @ 5:02/km ~ 7.25 miles @ 8:06/mile

Bit of a rush to get this done, had a few bits to do around the house and had car booked in for NCT this evening.
    A nice little run in and around the town and back out. Was fairly cool out there until I got warmed up fully.
    Sitting in the NCT centre confident but nervous at the same time, just like I'll be at the starting line on the 27th. Lets hope the run goes as well as the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday 13/10/2014 Rest

Tuesday 14/10/2014 11.7km @ 5:02/km ~ 7.25 miles @ 8:06/mile

Bit of a rush to get this done, had a few bits to do around the house and had car booked in for NCT this evening.
    A nice little run in and around the town and back out. Was fairly cool out there until I got warmed up fully.
    Sitting in the NCT centre confident but nervous at the same time, just like I'll be at the starting line on the 27th. Lets hope the run goes as well as the car :)

Did your car blow up Marty :)

TbL

Did your car blow up Marty :)

TbL

Well it's spot on since she got new rubber :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday 15/10/2014 7.5km @ 5:22/km ~ 4.5 miles @ 8:38/mile

A nice short easy run this evening.
    Went a bit crazy as I ended up going out with heavy jacket and gloves... WTF... No full moon either :D

I do some silly things leading up to a marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well it's spot on since she got new rubber :D

Are ya getting new runners at the expo so to take you round ??? :D

Thursday 16/10/2014 11.7km @ 4:59 ~ 7.25miles @ 8:01/mile (3*1600)

Okay, first time doing 1600's so was interested to see how it went.
    4km warm up and went into it. Legs didn't seem up for it but they usually look for an easy way out :)
    First one I found tough going, 3min recovery jog and off again. Second one I felt a little better but still having to push. Another 3min recovery and the last one I struggled with a bit more but finished it out. About a 2 km cooldown.
    Times were 6:26, 6:24, 6:34(:eek:)

Overall happy out, new experience for me and something to go at again in future.
    I should plan these run a little better in future. I decided on a loop of about a mile to do this on, a loop which I didn't really put enough thought into. There was a section of residential entrances where the path was up and down which I wasn't comfortable running on and a 90degree turn in the dark which I was uneasy about.
    Not saying it was the cause of the pace drop, just wasn't 100% comfortable.

Made a batch of brownies tonight, lovely smell of chocolate around the place but will have to wait till tomorrow before sampling them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

#wannabegordanramsey :)

TbL

#wannabegordanramsey :)

TbL

Or Rachel Allen, I'd imagine he may need to work on his accent though!

Thursday 16/10/2014 11.7km @ 4:59 ~ 7.25miles @ 8:01/mile (3*1600)

Okay, first time doing 1600's so was interested to see how it went.
    4km warm up and went into it. Legs didn't seem up for it but they usually look for an easy way out :)
    First one I found tough going, 3min recovery jog and off again. Second one I felt a little better but still having to push. Another 3min recovery and the last one I struggled with a bit more but finished it out. About a 2 km cooldown.
    Times were 6:26, 6:24, 6:34(:eek:)

Overall happy out, new experience for me and something to go at again in future.
    I should plan these run a little better in future. I decided on a loop of about a mile to do this on, a loop which I didn't really put enough thought into. There was a section of residential entrances where the path was up and down which I wasn't comfortable running on and a 90degree turn in the dark which I was uneasy about.
    Not saying it was the cause of the pace drop, just wasn't 100% comfortable.

Made a batch of brownies tonight, lovely smell of chocolate around the place but will have to wait till tomorrow before sampling them :)

Good work, was this part of your plan?

Or Rachel Allen, I'd imagine he may need to work on his accent though!

I'm torn between Rachel Allen and Nigella Lawson ...
    What I wouldn't do.........

Ya, was all part of the plan. The running of 3*1600 was in the plan but probably geared more to someone who has been doing sessions like this more often.
    After DCM and with the watchful eye of this log I will be doing at least 1 session.a week, something I haven't been doing before.

The baking was part of a plan in work :-) surprised a couple of the women and they are now baking for me :-D

It's very relaxing and therapeutic during the taper period...

Friday 17/10/2014 8.5 km @ 5:52/km ~ 5.25 miles @ 9:26/mile Recovery

A nice relaxed recovery run. The easy effort and thoughts of DCM in my head made for an enjoyable run. Was smiling to myself the whole way around.

Brownies went down a treat at work and with family... I'll have to make a balls of the next thing I bake or they will be expecting great things all the time :D

Saturday 18/10/2014 10.6km @ 5:23/km ~ 6.5 miles @ 8:40/mile w/strides

Easy pace down to the pitches for a few laps. Half dozen strides at the end. For these strides I said I'd wouldn't look at the watch for exact time/pace/distance. I said I'd go and count to 20. I did it the toddler way, 1,2,3,4,5-1,2,3,4,5-1,2,3,4,5-1,2,3,4,5 :D:D Made sure my counting speed didn't increase with running pace and actually found it a lot better than being "exact" like I used to, by repeating a set known distance up and down...

Fairly breezy out there today, grand for an easy run, not so good for a race :)

Was the pitch not wet? Maybe the county board should be spending their money elsewhere... How are the nerves holding up?

• Advertisement

Was the pitch not wet? Maybe the county board should be spending their money elsewhere... How are the nerves holding up?

Hehehehehe :D:D

No, it was grand, made some rain when I was nearly done and it was refreshing :) Nerves are bad tbh, I'm trying to to think about monday, but it's ALL i'm thinking about now :) just opened a bottle of cheap red tonight so thats not good either :)

Sunday 19/10/2014 21.1km @ 5:17/km ~ 13 miles @ 8:30/mile

Last LSR before the big day out. Nice day out there, bit of wind and a cool refreshing shower near the end. All good..

Getting real nervous now. DCM on my mind a lot lately. Doubts setting in, followed by thoughts of a good result, followed by thoughts of big injury at 25 miles..... Everything playing out in my head but mostly good thoughts... As long as I get a good night sleep the night before I'll be happy :)

Monday 20/10/2014 Rest

Tuesday 21/10.2014 11.1 km @ 5:54/km ~ 6.9 miles @ 9:30/mile

Bit overkill again with this recovery run. Hat and gloves on, long sleeve top over short sleeve top :D:D Was enjoyable though.

A good few other runners around tonight, I was sussing them out, everyone taking it handy I was putting them down as doing DCM :D:D

Since starting this log, one thing I noticed is I'm putting more effort into slowing the recovery pace and it seems to be working. Let's hope it continues :)

Wednesday 22/10/2014 11.1km @ 5:30/km ~ 6.9miles @ 8:51 (3k @MP)

Another blustery one here in the west :)
    Plan was 11km with 3k at MP. Sound. The 3kMP was mostly done by effort with just the odd glance to see if I was on track. Happy with the result as I was expecting pace to be a lot more erratic :D (4:37, 4:35, 4:42)

Was chatting to couple of non running women in work today about the marathon(they brought it up, I swear).

Them "How long will it take you to run it"
    Me"Well, I'll be hoping to get under 3:20"
    Them"How long will it take the winner to do it?"
    Me"Well if the foreign elites are running, I'd say around 2:10"
    Them"Oh you're close enough to the winner so"
    Me"No, I said 3:20" (WTF)
    Them"Ya, I know, sure thats only an hour and 10 mins behind them"
    Me" Cool... ya... ermmmmm, I gotta go see Tom about something....Catch ye later"

Gotta sort out some clothes and get a decent travel bag for my annual trip to "da big schmoke" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Don't forget "da big shmoke" visa, you know what they're like for paperwork up there :D

3:20 sounds mightily impressive Marty, to even a layman it's impressive hope you smash it.

Don't forget "da big shmoke" visa, you know what they're like for paperwork up there :D

3:20 sounds mightily impressive Marty, to even a layman it's impressive hope you smash it.

Cheers S. The A target is now set at 3:15, my dog picked that target like that octopus for the world cup :D

Thursday 23/10/2014 8.5km @ 5:54/km ~ 5.25 miles @ 9:30/mile

A nice slow one. Liking this build up......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Best of luck Marty :D

Marty - the best of luck Monday! Keep the faith! I have a good feeling about this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck Marty, might see ya. Look out for the Galway colours . Bare in mind there's a few of us running so use the boards code. Ha :) Hope you've a great one.

Advertisement