Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You enter through your club, assuming you have a club? No qualifying time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

adrian522 wrote: »
    You enter through your club, assuming you have a club? No qualifying time.

Yep, Athenry ac member....
    I don't think many(if any at all) of the members do xc as haven't really seen any of the singlets in xc pics and no mention of it on fb...
    I'll contact them and get on it, thanks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

martyboy48 wrote: »

I don't think many(if any at all) of the members do xc ..

Really? Definitely time for you start a trend so! You’ll never look back and your club mates will thank you if you bring them along too. Best thing would be for you to get enough for a club team, that’s what really makes XC in my experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think many(if any at all) of the members do xc as haven't really seen any of the singlets in xc pics and no mention of it on fb...
    I'll contact them and get on it, thanks.....

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events-timetable/Intermediatemaster%2C_juv_B_XC_Timetable_2018.pdf

Clarinbridge now, not Tuam.

Terrible couple of weeks. Between being sick myself and a sick family member, I got little running done. What I did do was at and easy/slow pace but they all took a lot of effort.
    At the beginning of the year I signed up for Tuam 8k which is on this Sunday. I will give it a go hopefully it will spark something inside.

Also, on the XC thing, I hadn't realised it is on the same weekend as Donadea. I still hope to toe the line in Donadea although I don't think I'll be racing it as such. My XC adventure will have to wait I guess but I am committed to it. Took delivery of spikes during the week and did 5k in them tonight. Found it TOUGH going :D . Between the mud, the wind, and the biting cold it was a shock to the system!!!! First time I finished a run and had ice forming on my shoes :)

• Advertisement

Between the mud, the wind, and the biting cold it was a shock to the system!!!! First time I finished a run and had ice forming on my shoes :)
    :D

Going from bad to worse.....

So, getting back into it after being sick and then something else pops up. I was out running a usual route and all was going well (great in fact)then suddenly I get a terrible pain in my chest/shoulder area, below collar bone area.
    I had to stop and it eased soon after. I was like WTF is that. I went off again after a couple of minutes but it returned again after about half a mile.
    I dropped to pace right back to from there on to get me home but it was a disaster of a run having to stop about 5 times in total.

I took it easy after that taking days off here and there but could still feel it at times although I didn't have to stop. It seemed to be worse when running at pace, the vigourous arm movement seems to set it off even more.

I didn't race Tuam 8k as a result, and with the additional missed training I've pulled the plug on Donadea. I was really looking forward to it but January was a total write off so I think its the sensible thing to do.

XC may be back on if I am pain free, I don't mind picking up the rear as I've no sharpness to me, stale as fook.

I don't think there is anything sinister in the pain, it's not right in my chest if you get me. I'm putting it down to a strain of some kind. Maybe sleeping on my side with arm under head, of lifting heavy weight with left arm. It's easing so will give it another few day of minding and being cautious. Limerick is the main focus so want to be able to get a decent block in before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That doesn't sound right. Sharp unexplained pain in your left thorax. Are you sure you shouldn't get it looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

At the very least go to a physio and see if it is a strain - don't just leave something like that, could be nothing but why take a chance?

That doesn't sound right. Sharp unexplained pain in your left thorax. Are you sure you shouldn't get it looked at?
    At the very least go to a physio and see if it is a strain - don't just leave something like that, could be nothing but why take a chance?

The wise women have spoken..... :)

Although I didn't think it was anything sinister, the above comments reminded me that I was well overdue a check up.
    With that I went to my doctor. Assesment,bloods,ecg, and had follow up echo.
    All good. During the initial assesment the doc raised the possibility of a c4-c5 facet joint lock or something, which could affect the area I was reporting. I somewhat dismissed this in my own mind as it didn't feel like a full on muscle pull or anything, but giving the good results from everything I could of been that.
    I've been taking it easy since my last post but planning on getting back on the horse from today 1st Feb. I feel overweight and slow but with some consistency I'll get there.....

01-Feb-2018 5.23 miles @ 8:01
    A shakeout run around town. All went well although I had to stop halfway through with a tightness inside my leg(inside area of hamstring). Nothing to worry about. 30sec stop loosened out. Just bit tight from lack of running :)..
    Day off work tomorrow so planning a nice casual afternoon run :)
    Back in the game.........

PS the echo was only done as a precaution because of family history ect... Doc still has a stress test lined up but got go ahead to go back running and get physio on back to "release" joint....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow Marty, don’t let the Tribesmen down now and let aload of Dubs beat you!! Run well!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow Marty, don’t let the Tribesmen down now and let aload of Dubs beat you!! Run well!!

Ah thanks B..... In pretty poor shape I think but willing to have a crack at it. Fairly brickin it already with nervous excitement.

Thank God there's a few (5-6) going from club, would have been worse on my tod ☺

Looking forward to it.....

Ah thanks B..... In pretty poor shape I think but willing to have a crack at it. Fairly brickin it already with nervous excitement.

Thank God there's a few (5-6) going from club, would have been worse on my tod ☺

Looking forward to it.....

You’ll love it, I’m mad jealous!!!

Some run Marty, serious runners not to far ahead of you, literally only seconds. Savage going and an indication of what your capable of.

Some run Marty, serious runners not to far ahead of you, literally only seconds. Savage going and an indication of what your capable of.

Not at all.... It was a case of survival.... The last 2 of the 3 big laps I had to stop for 20 secs to get the oxygen ito the lungs :D:D

I presume everybody not in contention for placing said "just get through it" kind of thing .... :)

So, a bit of an update.....

I've tried a couple of diferent things latley. As above, Cross Country was very good. As tough as it was, I could see the benefits of running these. As expected leg strength for lifting the legs higher and more frequently than the road, but secondly, correct me if I am wrong, but I feel there is more activation of stability (hips) muscles going on. I regularly planted my foot to find my body turn a bit sideways in the soft conditions, and then had to try to correct it on take off. Somewhat of a strange feeling at the start, but managed it better as I got used to it and the paces slowed :) .
    It made me think about when I played the tag rugby a couple of years ago, I found the Knee/Hip movement very good. More variety made it good. My usual linnear running seemed to tighted everything up. The bit of enexpected lateral movement made me feel more strong then, something I'm still trying to get back. In my head I know this can be addressed with drills and some gym work which brings me on to my mext point.......

Gym....... Something I've cursed all me life, and probably still would, only for a new discount rate at work :D:D
    I've always considered(preconception but some what true!!) gym goers as vain posers, doing stuff that could be replicated at home...
    So, as a 43 year old male, I set foot into the gym for the first time last week :D 2 runs on the treadmill were tough tough!!!! Easy pace was actually tough going and I was sweating like feck!!!! Need some fans in thats place!! Jacuzzi and sauna made it worthwhile.

On my down days in future, I will try to get some S+C work done there. Dreaded glutes winking at me again.

So, with all that in mind, I have Limerick marathon coming up.I had planned on attackng it but I don't feel that is a good idea now. So far 2018 was a bummer between sickness and injury so its to late to chasing dreams.... Will build a small bit and try for PB teritory. If I was in shape I would be aiming to smash it.......

Final note, I've found as I did a bit less running, I've found it all to easy to take it easy in general. This led to no accountibility (as I wasn't running)and an easy way out. I've even found myself making excuses in work when people asked about my running :mad:

Regular boring updated from monday...... :)

So, as a 43 year old male

I had you down as 28 tops Marty.........

Sure you're only a chizzler!!!!

Gyms are fine but why on EARTH would you run on the treadmill?????????????????????? (is that enough question marks!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes, update here regularly and we will kick your ass if you're not up to scratch :D

I had you down as 28 tops Marty.........

28lbs to heavy ☺

Sure you're only a chizzler!!!!

Gyms are fine but why on EARTH would you run on the treadmill?????????????????????? (is that enough question marks!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes, update here regularly and we will kick your ass if you're not up to scratch :D

Was down to have a look around and float about on the pool so tried it out while I was down there.. will probably not use treadmill much, but it may be used for proper recover runs... I usually find it hard to keep pace slow doing these myself as I speed up if I forget to concentrate on it. Treadmill would keep pace for me...

I'd be most appreciative of the ass kicking when required ☺☺

• Advertisement

Monday 19/02/2018 Rest

Tuesday 20/02/2018 Club speed
    Short session this week which suited me just fine.
    Plan was 5 x 3mins with 90sec recoveries.
    6:16, 6:17, 6:17, 6:15, 6:04... Tough but manageable....
    Link

Wednesday 21/02/2018 10 miles @ 7:56
    Trip out to salthill. Nice run...

Thursday 22/02/2018 3 miles @ 8:58
    Missed the club run this evening so just went out for short recovery run.

Friday 23/02/2018 Rest
    Unplanned rest. Poor time management :o

Saturday 24/02/2018 7 miles @ 8:00
    Short tour of the city.

Sunday 25/02/2018 10 miles @ 7:49
    Short on time today so no real time for long run.
    Went for more of a progression run instead.
    8:52, 8:43, 7:50, 7:51, 7:16, 7:17, 7:03, 7:00, 7:53, 8:26.....
    The 7:03 and 7:00 reps slower than I wanted. Aiming for HMP of just under 6:50 but I was unable to hit it. The head wasn't focused enough...
    It doesn't bode well for kinvara half next week but will have a go anyway :)

Hope for a bit more mileage next week to top this weeks poor 36 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Bump

Was there an elite mile race report that you were going to write? ;)

Going over the last couple of pages prove that last year was a bit of a disaster.
    Sure, there was PB's in 5/10K, and marathon, but not the progression I wanted overall..

So, onwards and upwards....

Monday 24/12/2018 10.1 @7:33 Link

Weight:85.7kgs

Good run, felt good throughout, one of the better runs in a long time....

Not racing St. Stephens day in Athenry, will volunteer instead....
    Plan on doing the 5K in the city on new years day instead to kick things off :)

Merry Christmas everyone, 2019, lets do this :)

Tuesday 25/12/2018 7.14 miles @ 8:19/Mile

Wednesday 26/12/2018 Rest - Marshalling duty at Fields of Athenry 10k
    Decided to pull out of racing this and help out instead. Nice to see the front runners going at a good clip up close. Mick Clohisey took the win again, and took a few seconds of the course record to come in 29:46, flying it!!!!
    Laura Shaughnessy first lady in 34:55, superb....

Thursday 27/12/2018 10.14 miles @7:47 /mile

Friday 28/12/2018 7.13 miles @ 7:59/mile

Saturday 29/12/2018 Rest

Sunday 30/12/2018 11.09 miles @ 8:04/mile

Monday 31/12/2018 7.12 miles @ 8:12/mile

So, that ends 2018...... 1,859.8 miles for the year.. Weigh-in 86.2KG :eek:

A few PB's which I'm happy with, but a bit disappointed with how the year ended, the final 3 months just petered out since the knee trouble with the weight increase adding to my misery :D

On a more positive note, I'm back running regularly again, about 40 Miles per/w. Some GYM/pool work introduced.

2019 racing season opens tomorrow with 5k to see where I'm at and if I can tolerate a bit of suffering.

Tuam AC 8K 20th January
    Trim 10 Miler 03rd February
    CPC Loop Den Haag HM 10 March :eek::eek::eek::D

Planning on being consistent with training and diet, and hopefully peak for DCM.

Have a good one everybody :)

Your running to many of those miles to fast coming back from an injury, slow down a bit. Pints on March 10th........

Good to see your keeping the log updated.......

Your running to many of those miles to fast coming back from an injury, slow down a bit. Pints on March 10th........

Correct.... I took note when I read your post eventually and have made adjustments to my plans... March is still on....
    Good to see your keeping the log updated.......

NOTED!!!! Regular updates will resume. I need to make more of an effort with the log to keep me on top of things, easy to let things slip...

Tuesday 01/01/2019 Galway 5K Resolution Run 2019 (19:40)

Did a 3 mile warm up as I arrived in plenty of time for a change.
    Race didn't go to bad, as tough as expected given the lack of proper training.
    6:10, 6:16, 6:14, (6:07) Link
    5 mile gentle cool down along the prom..

11 miles for the day....

Wednesday/Thursday Nothing. A bit of discomfort but nothing to bad on the Wednesday, lazy Thursday...

Friday 04/01/2019 7 miles @ 8:17

Saturday 05/01/2019 7 miles @ 8:15

Sunday 06/01/2019 10 miles @ 8:22

And that was it....
    I've done nothing since... The knee problem over the last few months has never fully cleared, sometimes not too bad, sometimes not great.

I decided to give it some times off and after some thinking, and OO's post I decided to bite the bullet and see physio.

Long story short, she thinks it is all stemming from my weak glutes...... The curse of most of my injuries....

I'm determined to sort it out now and follow through with the work needed. I'm wasting my time otherwise.
    I'm allowed to run, but to take it easy initially, build up and monitor as I progress. Plenty of strengthening work given which is more important for me to do.

The races I've signed up for, Tuam 8k and Trim 10 mile, if ran, will be a jog. More to support the club races. Den Hague Half may be ran at steady effort if I feel OK.

Hoping to get a good routine going as I'm now at 87.6kgs. No wonder my knee is caving in..... :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think weak glutes are a common issue among us, best of luck with strengthening them and getting the knee sorted. If you go to tuam on Sunday be prepared for a parking nightmare, galway play the rossies in tuam stadium at 1.30pm in the provincial fbd league final. Last Sunday was total chaos for the galway/mayo game.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    I think weak glutes are a common issue among us, best of luck with strengthening them and getting the knee sorted. If you go to tuam on Sunday be prepared for a parking nightmare, galway play the rossies in tuam stadium at 1.30pm in the provincial fbd league final. Last Sunday was total chaos for the galway/mayo game.

Yes, I'm wondering about the parking alright. I don't think the rossies travel as well as the mayo folk but still could be a bit tight for parking as you said. I might even bus it if it's dry, I wouldn't want to be hanging around in the rain....

Advertisement