Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Running Chaos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You know that song.." I'm just a poor boy, but my legs are just
    to damn slow" :D:D:D

Mr. On the fence... Diplomat my hole :D:D

Don't worry about me, just dip sub 40 the pair of ye! Ye've all the makings of the newest Boards glamour couple if ye get ye're act together. Kimye & Brangelina better move over - here comes Lemonboy48 :D or is it Galways latest version of the 'Terrible Twins' ;) (little Tuam reference for tomorrow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Friday 26/12/2014 6 miles @6:30

Woke up this morning expecting a lovely day for this race, but was greeted
    with persistent rain and cool temps. Brrrrr

What can you do eh :D Arrived at Athenry around 10:15 to collect number ect. and put it on in the hall as I knew the fingers would be numb with the walk back to the car. When I got back to the car the I peeled of the layers and tried to coax myself out of the heated car to do a bit of a warm up.... I kept looking out to see if many were around togged out already, and there was fook all, decision made , I'm staying put :D

Around 10:45 I braved it and headed out for some kind of a warm up. Glad I brought the gloves as the fingers were really feeling it.
    Got a bit nervous at this stage and decided to switch the garmin back to metric for this one(got in a bit of a panic).

Up around the starting area and the atmosphere was decent, despite the shocking weather. Had a look around for the pacers to see if I could locate the lemon goodness and Co, but no luck, couldn't see and pacers either :D

Positioned myself well up in the field, a fair position for my target I thought. A bit of negativity in the conversations around me which I tried to block out."Not a day for PB's", "If you're aiming for sub 40 mick forget it, let it go, won't happen today", " I hear the roads are completely flooded out in the course" ect ect... I was glad when the gun went, and we were off...

Initial stages were grand, settling in and happy that I wasn't held up, or holding anyone up for that matter. Caught a guy wearing a pacer jacket which was the 40min pacer (yay), and kept him in sight.

Hit the 5k clock mark pretty much bang on 20mins, good stuff. All the while trying to control the breathing. It tends to get a bit erratic if I loose concentration.

The garmin was acting up a bit, beeping at odd times even though pace and time display were fine. It was a little off putting initially but soon copped on not to look when it beeped.

At the end of the 6th k, the first doubts set in. Would I be able to keep this up for another 4?? **** it I said, don't be thinking like that, fight for it.
    Pretty much around the end of each k, a little doubt set in which I had to deal with.

With 3k to go, the pacer had gotten a good bit ahead of me. It was nothing sudden, I just let him slip away and couldnt give more of a response. I kept it going though with I was happy with.

Around the 8k mark there was a very slight incline from memory, and was at this point I knew I wouldn't catch the pacer, It just gave me a little kick in the hole :( I kept going though, all the while putting a good workrate in, even though the payout wasn't spectacular.

A bit of nip and tuck with a GCH girl and a mayo lad over the last k (I was beaten on both fronts) and the finish drew near. Some good support as we entered the town again which was great on such a wet day, and soon made it
    home over the line.. Exhausted...

6:22
    6:21
    6:34
    6:30
    6:39
    6:38
    6:14(.2)

Gun time 40:26 Chip time 40:22

A fair result, I can't have any argument with it. I had a feeling I might not be quiet up to the sub 40 but was running this to get as close as I could and set a marker for next year.

An excellent race though, well organised and plenty to eat afterwards.
    Race won by Mick Clohisey (3rd year in a row) 30:18, Second Sean Hehir 30:59, and third place for Matt Bidwell 32:46.

Nice one Marty - well done. That's a substantial progression from your 5k performance a few weeks ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Very nicely done Marty. Is that a PB? What was your time for this race last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I'm guessing I was the Mayo lad you referred to. When I arrived in reckoned I'd need more clothes so after scouring the car I ended up in a delightful ensemble of long sleeve top in hi vis green worn under black Aldi tee and topped off with Mayo AC singlet. Finished 40:17 chip. You might have congratulated me at the line but I was too decked to do anything other than nod.

Well done if that's a pb. Not ideal conditions for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going Marty, well run.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice one Marty - well done. That's a substantial progression from your 5k performance a few weeks ago :)
    Thanks J, ya bit of an improvement but mostly down to not being prepared for the 5k effort I'd say. Happy with today, I'd have taken a 41min at the startline.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Very nicely done Marty. Is that a PB? What was your time for this race last year?
    Thanks SfM, ya a PB, forgot to mention that :)
    Fields of Athenry 10k 2013 Gun 44:46 Chip 44:26
    Fields of Athenry 10k 2014 Gun 40:26 Chip 40:22
    I don't think I did a 10k between the two races, I don't think so.
    snailsong wrote: »
    I'm guessing I was the Mayo lad you referred to. When I arrived in reckoned I'd need more clothes so after scouring the car I ended up in a delightful ensemble of long sleeve top in hi vis green worn under black Aldi tee and topped off with Mayo AC singlet. Finished 40:17 chip. You might have congratulated me at the line but I was too decked to do anything other than nod.

Well done if that's a pb. Not ideal conditions for it.

Cheers man, I gave you a well done or whatever but wasn't sure if it was you and was pretty drained at that stage too. Delightfully coordinated you were:)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going Marty, well run.
    Thanks Murph, happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Super running Marty. Well done :D

Forgot to mention thePB and the fact you took over 4 minutes off.... We are on to you Marty Boy! Well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great run today Marty in pretty crappy conditions.

plenty more to come

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Superb stuff Marty delighted for you. Knocking on the door for sub 40 during Xmas can't be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Really enjoyed reading that, well done on the PB, that's a huge chunk off!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

dats savage running in Athenry. reading sum of the reports the weather was awful. dats some PB. Fair feckin play to ya!

Saturday 27/12/2014 Rest

Sunday 28/12/2014 7 miles @ 7:28

Headed out this afternoon in the hope to avoid some slippery conditions
    and hoped for something of an easy run.

There was still a bit of frost/ice around so I had to keep a close eye on things.
    After a mile I felt the pace increasing but was comfortable so just went with it
    and concentrated on where I was placing my foot.
    Pace ended up way to much than what I wanted but tomorrow I'll head to the pitches for the copyrighted 'nursing home special'...

Monday 29/12/2014 6 miles @ 8:43

Down to the pitches for this one. Threw on an old pair of runners as SfM tipped me off about the boggy ground :D And to be fair, I'm glad she did as one side of the pitches was frozen over and the other side a mucky boggy mess :D

Really enjoyed this one. Kept an eye on the watch to keep it slow and just tipped along
    enjoying every minute of it. A nice cool afternoon run and a few quiet beers tonight to catch up with some old friends. Hopefully it will stay as a few quiet ones :)

What would you do without me, well you would still be in Km s for a start....

Tuesday 30/12/2014 10 miles @ 7:41

An out and back to salthill this afternoon. Absolutely lovely day for it.
    Spent some time thinking about the next years goals. A few things I aimed for in 2014
    didn't see daylight and were put on the backburner(join a club ect)
    Will mull things over the next day or two...

Wednesday 31/12/2014 5 miles @ 8:04

Handy 5 today before the 5k run tomorrow. Not sure if i'll out and out race it yet,
    I'll see how things feel tomorrow.

I'll pop up a few lines later on reviewing the year gone by. It wont be a novel, don't worry :)

Spent some time thinking about the next years goals.

Sub 18 5k
    Sub 38 10k
    Sub 86 half
    Sub 3:05 full
    Simples

• Advertisement

All doable if you have a bit of luck & can stay healthy, based on this years progression.

All doable if you have a bit of luck & can stay healthy, based on this years progression.

Doable! FFS, a lad of his age and given this years progression, he'd want to give it up altogether if he's not at least hitting those targets !

TbL

Doable! FFS, a lad of his age and given this years progression, he'd want to give it up altogether if he's not at least hitting those targets !

TbL

Well well well, if it isn't Batman and Robin :D:D

Happy New year to ye guys, I'll keep plugging away...
    As I'm not in yer league how about
    5k....sub 19:30
    10k sub 40
    do a 10 miler
    sub 1:31:00 half
    sub 3:25 mara?????
    :D:D:D:D

Well well well, if it isn't Batman and Robin :D:D

Happy New year to ye guys, I'll keep plugging away...
    As I'm not in yer league how about
    5k....sub 19:30
    10k sub 40
    do a 10 miler
    sub 1:31:00 half
    sub 3:25 mara?????
    :D:D:D:D

Careful you're not around too much water as a quicksand pit could develop ;)

Thursday 01/01/2015 5k race 1.3 miles @ 6:20 (DNF)

If it wasn't so painful it might be funny.
    I'm such a tit.... Only went and nearly impaled myself on a steel bollard about belly button height. Was fairly motoring and suddenly bang, a complete stop. Legs thrown skyward and down in a heap. Wrist took the brunt of it and is still very swollen. Tried to run on but pain to much. Hobbled my way back to finish area hoping some first aider would have a look but didn't see any :(

Got outta dodge soon after pure disgusted with myself, one little lapse in concentration and game over...

On the plus side my legs are still working fine, some kind people tried to help me(I told them to run on) and got a nice pair of gloves for my troubles...

Onwards and upwards....

Ouch, hope it's nothing too serious. As you say, onwards and upwards!

Heard the organisers are talking bout mandatory breathalyser for next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Oops :(

Hope your wrist heals quickly.

On the plus side at least you didn't end up like a lollipop ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ouch, hope it's nothing too serious. As you say, onwards and upwards!
    Ah thanks, hopefully nothing too serious although I'm getting a bit worried now :(
    Heard the organisers are talking bout mandatory breathalyser for next year ;)
    Ha Ha, I shoulda known you'd bring my bit of wine last night into it :D Tiss sad but my big concern was I hope TbL didn't see that or see me in a heap, he'd have a field day on here :D
    Oops :(

Hope your wrist heals quickly.

On the plus side at least you didn't end up like a lollipop ;)
    LOL, it actually took me a few seconds to figure out the lollipop reference :D Ya, can ya imagine how I'd explain that one here :)

• Advertisement

Who do you think organised the bollard :)

TbL

Was this the culprit?!

O3AY0oc.png?1

Looks well hard to be fair! Hope it's not too serious...

Close!!! Behind the camera location there is another bollard at the entrance along the canal. Seen that one but missed the on further along :D
    Will try to link pic..

data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sk2IDsEAQfnwIUGkbyVfu2A!2e0

Jaysus Marty! Hope wrist is on the mend! What a dose!

Update on bollard gate....

Sister came over yesterday evening and dragged my ass off to A+E as she suspected it was broken :eek:

Decided on Galway Clinic as traffic would be better as Connaught were doing the business that evening :) and it was handier all round :)

Arrived up, very fast up there BTW, Took a few details, over here for review, down to x ray, quick review, pills , chat, out the door..... take all my money, out the door.... Luckily they gave me a few pills before taking my money :D:D

When the sister came over she more or less said it wasn't great more than likely broken(she works in healthcare), and when we arrived up there the nurse who attended first was of the same opinion. X ray came back with no apparent break but doc said it would be reviewed by radiologist? today and they would ring back if anything more serious. No phone call so happy out. Still stuck in a splint and sling for couple of days :(

Ribs a bit sore this morning as well but I'm not telling the sister that or she might clean my bank account with another trip to A+E :D

• Advertisement

I'm glad now I didn't joke about one of those Bish lads in the picture beating you up! :D

Get well soon Marty

I'm glad now I didn't joke about one of those Bish lads in the picture beating you up! :D

Get well soon Marty

Ha ha sound S...
    I remember my schooldays as a Jeshead and the 'rivalry' we had with those Bish lads. Be it rugby or rowing was it!!! It never came to blows though, actually, I think the rivalry thing was all made up as a lot of good friendships were made....

The biggest mistake of my youth was starting to smoke, and even my close friend wouldn't know this but another big regret was giving up rowing even though I was only at it a couple of years... Love the water....

Ya ya a "friend" looking for a tricycle and romantic notions about the water. I'm afraid it could be too late for you!

Same with the cigs, and the drink too if I'm honest. You seem to be reversing the effects quite nicely though so there's hope for me yet. :D

By the way try sending your clinic bill to Allianz with a letter starting: "Howya, who's the genius hiding bollards in Galway". Something that might lighten the recovery :D

POINT 1Ya ya a "friend" looking for a tricycle and romantic notions about the water. I'm afraid it could be too late for you!

POINT 2 Same with the cigs, and the drink too if I'm honest. You seem to be reversing the effects quite nicely though so there's hope for me yet. :D

POINT 3 By the way try sending your clinic bill to Allianz with a letter starting: "Howya, who's the genius hiding bollards in Galway". Something that might lighten the recovery :D

POINT 1 Ya got it all wrong buddy :D I'l probably never go that side as I can hardly tread water. It's like I'm doing a 10k race if you were to look underwater :D

POINT 2 One of the best things I've read/seen as I gave up the cigs was something not actually directed at me. He made a general statement(facebook) along the lines of "its amazing how quickly times/the body improves, by just getting out there on a regular basis... This was at the time I started running and Ecolii signiture rings true, consistency is key..
    Look at a few other posters for more motivation..

POINT 3 Mention the codename "TbL" and they will have a file the length of your arm :D

With LAYLA with work. When I was going in, I couldn't find my policy number for life nor money.. After all the ****e they send, and the little cleaning I do, I managed to throw all the necessary information out :D:D

How is the wrist Marty? And the ribs for that matter?

• Advertisement

How is the wrist Marty? And the ribs for that matter?

Hi SfM, ribs just a bit tender but more concerned with arm/wrist. Not much improvement if any so will look to get it looked at again tomorrow maybe. Really want to get it sorted and get back to some proper training, time is ticking :)

Hi SfM, ribs just a bit tender but more concerned with arm/wrist. Not much improvement if any so will look to get it looked at again tomorrow maybe. Really want to get it sorted and get back to some proper training, time is ticking :)

Maybe you should ring clinic to check if they read the x ray since. My OH s niece was sent home from Castlebar with a wrist injury and they rang 2 weeks later to say the X-Ray had been reviewed and it was broken! Hope you re on the mend soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Hope its nothing too serious

Still no running... But feeling more optimistic...

Had more investigations today but at least it seems to be improving. In a splint for rest of week and due another x ray next tuesday and hopefully that is it bar some physio to free things out.

Was getting bit browned off with no running but when I sat down and looked it was only about a week out so far. Just don't wqant it to drag on any longer...

Going to go for some easy runs in the park over the next few days, don't think it will do any harm as long as I keep it very handy where the arms are not pumping to much, and I keep my footing obviously....

Couple of upcoming races may have to be relegated to training runs/jogs though...

Hang in there Marty! Hopefully it will improve quickly.

+1 all joking aside, wishing you a speedy recovery...

Wednesday 07/01/2015 5 miles @ 8:12

Had enough sitting on my arse so left splint on under long sleeve top and headed out for some easy running on the QT...
    Felt a little pressure in the arm, nothing sinister, just an increase in bloodflow I think.
    Didn't go for the pitches, just did a little loop around the neighbourhood. Felt tougher than is should of, but by God, it was good to be out there :)

Good for the head!

Good for the head!

Indeed it is... Can't beat it :)

Thursday 08/01/2015 5 miles @ 8:18

Same route as yesterday and equally enjoyable...
    Feel a bit lethargic on these runs but probably just need a shot of pace to wake things up.. Will hold off on that for a couple of days anyway..

• Advertisement
Advertisement