Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Running Chaos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Tomorrow will be 8-10 depending on how I feel. It will be the first time going out for a run the day after a marathon distance run, so it should be "interesting" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

martyboy48 wrote: »
    No spectacular scenery, just the odd field of sheep and a farmer spreading slurry or some smelly sh1te like that :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D
    There's no finer shmell than shpreading season.

Sunday 08/02/2015 8 miles @ 8:29

Planned 8-10 mile today and felt reasonably good this morning afternoon so headed off around 1:30...
    Was running comfortably from the start but around the 5.5 mile mark a bit of tightness towards the outside of my left calf. No major pain, just a bit of discomfort. I kept going but by mile 8 I called it a day as noticed I was compensating by shifting my weight to the right and running like a gorilla :D

A short recovery run tomorrow on the pitches should be grand :)

Monday 09/02/2015 5 miles @ 9:38

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this regarding my calf issue from the last run. It was kinda niggling away at me today, nothing to bad but enough to let me know it's not 100%. Spend some time in work stretching it gently regularly.
    Anyway, said I'd take to the pitches and see how it goes. It was fairly tight to begin with but seemed to loosen out after just over a mile. Not perfect but allowed me to run gently with no major issues. I'll continue to stretch and monitor it and will book in for a rub that I have been putting on the long finger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sunday 08/02/2015 8 miles @ 8:29

Planned 8-10 mile today and felt reasonably good this morning afternoon so headed off around 1:30...
    Was running comfortably from the start but around the 5.5 mile mark a bit of tightness towards the outside of my left calf. No major pain, just a bit of discomfort. I kept going but by mile 8 I called it a day as noticed I was compensating by shifting my weight to the right and running like a gorilla :D

A short recovery run tomorrow on the pitches should be grand :)
    Well looky here what I got emailed this evening...could have been written for you!
    http://m.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/take-control-of-your-running-health?page=single

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well looky here what I got emailed this evening...could have been written for you!
    http://m.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/take-control-of-your-running-health?page=single

Thanks for that, food for thought for sure...
    Otherwise you risk a compensation injury, and compensation injuries are often the worst. "Get on a bike or in a pool until you can run your normal gait," McClanahan says.

NOOOOOOO :D:D The devils disciplines :D:D

Ya, I think I should take a cautious approach , nip it in the bud as it were :)

Tuesday 10/02/2015 Rest

Wednesday 11/02/2015 Rest and physio

So, as DG sparked a bit of sensibility in me, I went and played it safe. Took Tuesday of as a precaution and took today off as I was going to physio...

Got to physio at 6 and she identified the problem area as peroneal muscle. She went to work on it like the sadistic b1tch she is(shes lovely really :D).. Got onto me about the foam rolling/proper stretching ect, all the thing I've been putting on the long finger basically :D:D
    Allowed some easy gently running tomorrow and see how it goes from there. I'm back up to her next week to see how I'm going so not to bad...

*whistles while polishing halo* :) Glad to hear you got sorted before it got worse :)

Thursday 12/02/2015 6 miles @ 9:00

A little jaunt to see how things are. Leg still a little tender as expected but no nothing major from the peroneal muscle itself. A slight tightness but loosened out after a mile or so. Really tried to keep it slow and just see would anything flare up but nothing did Thank God. Pace crept up to 8:30 for couple of mile before I reigned it back again.

Calves Still tight but will continue to work on them from now on. Happy to be out there tonight. Will keep it handy for the rest of the week though :)

Friday 13/02/2015 7 miles @ 7:59

Feeling a little fresher today. Brought pace down to 7:30ish for 3-4 mile and no major complaints from the legs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Friday 13/02/2015 7 miles @ 7:59

Feeling a little fresher today. Brought pace down to 7:30ish for 3-4 mile and no major complaints from the legs....

What's the training plan for the weekend?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    What's the training plan for the weekend?

Not a whole lot on this weekend, 10ish in a while and not much more tomorrow.. Looking towards Monday and getting stuck in again hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Not a whole lot on this weekend, 10ish in a while and not much more tomorrow.. Looking towards Monday and getting stuck in again hopefully...

Wise move

Saturday 14/02/2015 10 miles @ 8:15

Non eventful 10 miles out to salthill. Lovely evening though....
    Noticed a huge increase in the amount of people out walking holding hands and being "romantic".. I wonder how many of them will be doing it next saturday evening :D

Sunday 15/02/2015 8k @ 6:40 "Gorgeous Gort 8k" :D:D 32.59

Decided to do this 8k to see how the legs hold up and prepared to reduce to jog if anything arose.
    Happy to report no issues and perhaps the legs feel as if they benefited from it.
    Not much to say about the race, under 200 lined up so was running on my own for bits. Weatherwise, not to bad, a bit of wind but no rain. Course profile I would say definitely not a PB course, few short sharpish hills in the second half to suck the pace from you. That said, it was a good club race and a went off without any issues.

6:32, 6:42, 6:37, 6:48, 6:39 (32:59)

Happy with how it went all thing considered. Confident in getting back to business tomorrow..

Monday 16/02/2015 5 miles @ 9:00 mile

Easy 5 miles around the pitches. No issues to note really, which is a good thing :) .
    I ordered few bits'n'bobs a few days ago including some running gear and a foam roller :eek: :D They should arrive over the next couple of days.
    I really hope I get into the habit of using regularly and it doesn't end up as a toy for the nephews... It could make some weapon in a battle :)

Tuesday 17/02/2015 10 miles @ 8:21

10 miles to get back to business. Enjoyable run legs were grand once warmed up fully.
    Nice evening for it, cool'n'crisp.. Had a brief daydream of winning lotto... Wasn't impressed when I snapped out of it :D

Item no 1 of my recent online assault arrived today... Gymboss interval timer :D

Wednesday 18/02/2015 Physio-No run

Thursday 19/02/2015 12 miles @ 8:14

Wednesday was my follow up session with the physio. The treated area(peroneal) seems to be A1 again but still tenderness in the calves. She went at them again with elbows and all and left me even more tender afterwards :D

Thursday run went grand. Still a bit of tenderness in calves but I think they're getting better. Went for the salthill route which is fairly flat and just kept tipping along to see how things are. All ok.

Items no 2 and 3 of my recent online purchases turned up on Wednesday. Foam roller and a couple of base layer tops. First time wearing a base layer top this evening and found it very good. Not as tight/restricted as I previously thought and kept me nice and warm. Arm length a tad short though but other than that a nice job :)

Friday 20/02/2015 7 miles @ 7:53

7 miles and felt good. Bit apprehensive about the long run this weekend but sure I feel good so should be ok.
    Had a go on the foam roller last night and jasus I felt it :D I couldn't do legs crossed and all weight on one calf like the physio said, could hardly put any pressure on the calves :) Think I need to build up to that sort of load on the calf :D Felt good after my brief rolling though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Friday 20/02/2015 7 miles @ 7:53

7 miles and felt good. Bit apprehensive about the long run this weekend but sure I feel good so should be ok.
    Had a go on the foam roller last night and jasus I felt it :D I couldn't do legs crossed and all weight on one calf like the physio said, could hardly put any pressure on the calves :) Think I need to build up to that sort of load on the calf :D Felt good after my brief rolling though :)
    Light weight! !!!!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Light weight! !!!!

I wish I was a light weight :D:D
    I reckon my calves alone weigh the same as a small child :D

Saturday 21/02/2015 21 miles @ 8:26

Sunday 22/02/2015 10 miles @ 8:21

Saturdays run was to be a bit of a tester to see if anything flared up during a longer run and thankfully all ok. Even incorporated a few miles in TbLs stomping ground around dangan. Wasn't a sinner around the place bar a few ladies walking about :)
    Felt good after this run and ended up going for a few pints of guinness saturday night :)

Sundays run felt surprisingly good considering my alcohol intake last night :)
    Manages to avoid the wind and the rain as I left it till the afternoon to get it done :)

Monday 23/02/2015 5 miles @ 9:25

A cold, wet, windy one tonight down at the pitches. Sat in the car for 5 mins in the hope it would ease off a bit, but I knew deep down I'd just have to brave it.
    Easy/recovery pace on paper, but had to battle at times to make progress into the gusting wind and nearly blown over a couple of times when I got caught with a sudden gust. You'd swear I was 8 stone or something :D

Tuesday 24/02/2015 12 miles @ 8:02

Really had to talk myself into heading out this evening, the couch was very comfy and I was beginning to nod off before I finally went and togged out :)
    Wasn't to bad once I got going, but I was a bit more tired than expected when I was finished. Just a blip hopefully..

What s next for you Marty? Kinvara?

• Advertisement

What s next for you Marty? Kinvara?

Ya, will be out in kinvara alright. Will just be used as part of a training run though, I'm only going out for the glorious chocolate goodies afterwards... You're off chocolate right :D:D

Wednesday 25/02/2015 7 miles @ 8:09

Felt a lot better this evening, a bit more lively :D Pace was increasing whenever I went with the flow so had to pull it back a bit in the end.
    Might do a few pace miles tomorrow to vary things a bit.. We'll see though...

Ya, will be out in kinvara alright. Will just be used as part of a training run though, I'm only going out for the glorious chocolate goodies afterwards... You're off chocolate right :D:D

Feck off, yes I am, and today is a challenging day!

Thursday 26/02/2015 5 miles @ 7:50

Bit of a nothing run TBH. Was after 9pm getting out and pushed for time. No real plan as I left the house. Didn't get to push pace really, gradually eeked it down to 7:30 but thats about it really.
    Disappointed I didn't manage my time properly today as I should have been able to get out earlier and with a plan if I had made a point of it....

Friday 27/02/2015 5 miles @ 9:04

Short easy run today. Didn't do anything crazy. Keeping the legs relatively fresh for long run tomorrow. And I'm using the term fresh very loosely :D

• Advertisement

Saturday 28/02/2015 24 miles @ 8:29

Not great weather wise, bit of mist and a good wind blowing. Put it off until 14:30 and still no let up :D

Headed for an out and back out the Tuam road (N17). Wind with me on the way out and knew it would be tough going on the return leg - I wasn't wrong :)
    Ended up going out 14 and a bit as I lost track of things. It's east to loose track of things when there a near gale pushing you along :) Tried to pull back the pace on the way out but it was just to difficult with constant gusts.

The minute I turned for the return leg, I was hit with the wind and rain in my face. Not a gale or anything but it was like I was tuned into the easy effort from the way out and it was a big effort to get going again.
    I was putting in what felt like a huge effort to get close to pace and what energy I had was just being zapped with little reward. Around the 20/21 mile mark I stopped at claregalway for a drink and TBH I needed to stop to catch my breath as well.
    After the drink I headed off again for another 3-4 miles but struggles to get going again.
    At the 24 mile mark I stopped the watch and walked the couple of miles home.

It was by no means a horrific run, just tough going towards the end. Glad it's done though, makes the beer gown down better :)

You lunatic! Do you not watch the weather forecast! 24 miles in this wind! I won't mind but the morning was the best bit of the day, Jaysus even I managed to drag myself out at 8.30 am ! However well done on keeping going, I would have thumbed home!

You lunatic! Do you not watch the weather forecast! 24 miles in this wind! I won't mind but the morning was the best bit of the day, Jaysus even I managed to drag myself out at 8.30 am ! However well done on keeping going, I would have thumbed home!
    Holyfeckaroonie and +a bazillion to SfM's lunatic comment....buuuut....surely you should have carried on for another 2.2 miles??!

Holyfeckaroonie and +a bazillion to SfM's lunatic comment....buuuut....surely you should have carried on for another 2.2 miles??!

Or run the 26 miles with the wind at your back and get the bus home from
    Claremorris. Were you afraid of crossing into Mayo?

I did a 26.2 training run a couple of weeks ago, and after another run or two after that I got a niggle that you *made* me be sensible about.
    I wont lie, the thought did cross my mind, but the plan was 24 so I stuck to it :)
    You'll get your 26.2 out of me next week all going well :)

*showed me the light
    Or run the 26 miles with the wind at your back and get the bus home from
    Claremorris. Were you afraid of crossing into Mayo?
    I got to the scrapyard on the N17 where I turned for home. A scrapyard, how apt I thought to myself :D
    Afraid is a strong word.... I wouldn't feel comfortable crossing the border by myself though, I'd really need a local with me to tell them all I'm not from revenue or such... Mayo is as close to the wild west as you can get :D:D

Sunday 01/03/2015 10 miles @ 8:11

Felt a lot better on this run. Nice evening for it too which helps I guess.
    A lot of the midweek runs this week were a tad short I think. 5 miles here and 7 there,
    I should really of had only 1 run below the 8 mile mark I think. Hope to make amends next week and be more decisive.

Monday 02/03/2015 5 miles @ 9:22

5 mile recovery run this evening. Did the trick and felt good during/after it.
    Didn't go to the pitches, opted instead for a couple of loops around the block.

One thing that's getting on my wick lately is overgrown tree branches/shrubs taking over haft the footpaths in certain areas. It's not to bad when you know they're there, but then the odd one catches you by surprise and you have to duck and dive like a boxer to avoid getting your eye taken out :)

Tuesday 03/03/2015 10 miles @ 8:19

Back down to the Doughiska road for a few rolling hills. Enjoyed this run, bit of effort required at times but nothing to bad. A nice change as I wasn't down there for nearly a couple of weeks. Variety is the spice of life :)

Wednesday 04/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:13

Nice run out along salthill. Got a bit breezy when I got to the promenade but not to bad.
    Glad to get this done a bit earlier than my usual midweek runs. Feels like I got a day off :)

Thursday 05/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:19

Another evening down doughiska for my troubles :D Was actually an enjoyable run, pace was fairly controlled as some might put it :D

Easy day tomorrow before saturdays long run. Looking forward to it..

• Advertisement

Are you doing Kinvara as part of the long run?

Are you doing Kinvara as part of the long run?

Ya, planning on being "well" warmed up before the start. Want the long run to finish at the end of the half. Hopefully I'll find a suitable stretch of road to head out beforehand....

Friday 06/03/2015 5 miles @ 9:01

Easy/recovery run this evening. Probably should have tried to get it a tad slower but no harm. Early start tomorrow for trip to kinvara so hopefully a good night sleep. May be a blustery one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Marty I hope you didnt run on the main road to Kinvara in those conditions, the wind is savage and that road is horrible to run on.

Don't envy you running in that!!

TbL

Marty I hope you didnt run on the main road to Kinvara in those conditions, the wind is savage and that road is horrible to run on.

Don't envy you running in that!!

TbL

No, it's a bad stretch for running alright. Choose the slightly better option of kinvarra to ardrahan road. Still had to be on guard and tuned into what was going on around me, but there was less traffic, little to no race going traffic, just the odd farmer and young lad tearing about the place :)

Saturday 07/03/2015 26 miles @ 8:12

Kinvarra half was the good enough reason to get out for an early run. Got to kinvarra about 10 and hit the road. 13.2 miles before arriving back for the start of the 10k. Saw them off and soon I was off again with the half marathon gang. About 15 minutes wait between my long warm up and start of the half, not to bad and didn't really get cold.

Was a bit of a breeze but could have been worse. Not sure I could have PB'd in those conditions but know a couple of people who did.

Back to the hall for a feed and a cuppa. Was gonna get a massage but que was to long and as I had a 10k number bib(mix up at reg, some other marty dude took my no), I thought they'd think I was takin the piss looking for massage after a 10k :D

ps was actually 26.4 miles... DG was looking for a 26.2 the last week :)

Good man, you will sleep tonight!

Sunday 08/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:04

Knee was a little stiff this morning so planned on taking it easy when I went out for the run later.
    Was free to go running around 4ish so did a little foam rolling and pottered about the house before finally heading out at 5.
    Knee was grand once I got going and felt no negative effects from yesterdays run.

Was great reading up on some great racing from boardsies this evening, some super results about the place :)

Monday 09/03/2015 Rest

Tuesday 10/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:16

Didn't manage to get out for recovery/easy run on monday as some unplanned things cropped up. Was going to go out at 11pm but thought little to be gained from that.

todays run was grand, legs loosened out by mile 3 and felt good throughout. A little foam rolling earlier as well.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 11/03/2015 12 miles @ 7:34

Went out a little faster than usual and went with it. Had to keep focused to maintain it and a bit of effort required near the end. Felt good after it though :)

Advertisement