Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Running Chaos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thursday 12/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:16

Same route, distance and pace as Tuesdays run, but that was just a coincidence :)
    Some shouts of encouragement from a couple of young members of the travelling community, which was funny. "You're some jogger man"... "Have ya a fight coming up"...
    Easy day tomorrow and time to ponder a route for Saturdays long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

4 weeks left Marty with only a couple of high mileage weeks to go! What's the plan for taper?

Any plans post Conn - marathon pb in Portumna or Cork maybe?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    4 weeks left Marty with only a couple of high mileage weeks to go! What's the plan for taper?

Any plans post Conn - marathon pb in Portumna or Cork maybe?

Would you believe the taper is what is on my mind most lately, I'm just not sure how to approach it regarding when to pull back and by how much. I'll probably stay high mileage this week(14th/15th), next week(21st/22nd), then maybe a slight drop the following week(28th/29th), and then big drop off the following 2 weeks.. Thats the plan now, it'll probably change by the morning :)

As for post Conn, I'm not really planning a marathon in that timeframe. I'm not sure I'd be in anyway ready for the pace of a decent one. Was going to do portumna half just as a recreation run :eek::eek::D

I guess to sum up, it'll be my usual inefficient, ill-advised, half arsed running.
    Little to no planning and a lot of panic at the end....

I did promise myself the last day that anymore I'm going to try to get some kind of training plan together before targeting any more "goal" races. it's all been a bit aimless and random since DCM '13 unfortunately..... God, I'm rambling now :)

Friday 13/03/2015 5 miles @ 9:31

Easy/recovery day today. Nice and relaxed run in a fresh pair of adrenalines... Think it's my 6th pair. Must order more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You'll be in top shape for a Marathon PB a month or two after Conn Ultra Marty.
    Both times I did it I set a decent Mara PB about 3-4 weeks before the Ultra, but I should have waited until after as I think that kinda messed up race a bit.

Anyway, deadly training in here; lots of back to backs. Conn will be no bother to you. Enjoy it; it's a deadly experience!!

• Advertisement

Plan for taper seems sound, similar to my own :)
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Was going to do portumna half just as a recreation run :eek::eek::D

In other words a serious assault on a healthy pb ;):D

You'll be busy with the 5K series & your 'rivalry' post Conn & that'll be plan enough ;)

Saturday 14/03/2015 28 miles @ 8:15

An out and back to Craughwell for a drink of orange as I'm calling it :)
    Wasn't a bad day for it, could have been a lot worse. Went well enough but felt a bit
    "sore" for the last 2-3 miles. Not in an injury kind of way, just fatigue soreness if ya get me.

Not a bad route actually, surface not to bad and a decent hard shoulder that kept me well away from traffic. Will probably use it next week again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A bit sore, what would be the cause I wonder? ??? Your training is going great Marty. Will Corofin win on The 17 th?

Judging by the chat at the water cooler at work, I'll be lumping a sizable wedge of euro on them :D:D

Judging by the chat at the water cooler at work, I'll be lumping a sizable wedge of euro on them :D:D

Ah I hope they do, good gang from
    Mayo travelling to it, God bless them , they would go to the opening of an
    envelope though!

• Advertisement

Sunday 15/03/2015 13 miles @ 8:11

Evening run out salthill. Thought I'd struggle with this run as I was a bit achy
    yesterday but it went well actually. Small bit of stiffness loosened out after the first mile
    and got into it then.

Few cans of guinness now and read some training logs....

Monday 16/03/2015 5 miles @ 8:42

Short easy run to start the week. Was pretty tired last night and didn't get to far into either the logs or the guinness. Dozed off on the couch not long after posting last night :) Got a good night sleep though :D

Tuesday 17/03/2015 12 miles @ 7:28

Lovely day so decided to take the opportunity to get out early and enjoy a sunshine run for a change :D Back kinda niggling a bit last night/this morning so didn't bother with a hilly route. Kept it relatively flat out by salthill and pace. Upped the pace slightly from previous runs to change things up a little..
    Toughish but enjoyable....

So did you win a heap of money??

SamforMayo wrote: »
    So did you win a heap of money??

No, actually never made it to bookies :D:D

Ahh well, not much of a gambling man anyway :)

Wednesday 18/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:20

Pretty uneventful 12 miles this evening. Nothing much to report :)

Thursday 19/03/2015 11 miles @ 8:25

A horrible run.... Felt no love heading out for this run. Really had to convince myself to get out there but at no point did I "get into it"...

Felt totally drained throughout this run. No go in the legs and could barely manage/struggled to hit 8:20-8:25 pace ffs... Passed the house at 11 miles and didn't bother continuing for the 12th mile.. Thought I was going to puke :eek:

Easy day tomorrow so hopefully a more positive run :)

Maybe a rest day might do the trick Marty, listen to the body.

Ya, it could be part of the problem alright. Between work, personal and running life, I'm getting pretty exhausted lately. It will soon be time to ease back so just trying to see it out till then :)

Friday 20/03/2015 5 miles @ 9:13

Easy Friday run pre tomorrows long run... Still not feeling 100% but hoping a a sleep in tomorrow might help me out a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

+10 ;)

Saturday 21/03/2015 30 miles @ 8:27

Bit of a slog but the fine weather lifted my spirits a little. Maybe slog is to strong a word.
    Had a couple of drink stops as I was sweating profusely from the off.. Glad to get it done all the same, even though the latter stages I found tough going :)

**Edit** Rest day(s) will be coming up from next week on :)

Saturday 21/03/2015 30 miles @ 8:27

Bit of a slog but the fine weather lifted my spirits a little. Maybe slog is to strong a word.
    Had a couple of drink stops as I was sweating profusely from the off.. Glad to get it done all the same, even though the latter stages I found tough going :)

**Edit** Rest day(s) will be coming up from next week on :)

Well done Marty - that's the longest one in the bank. I'm sure you're glad to have that behind you.

Well done Marty - that's the longest one in the bank. I'm sure you're glad to have that behind you.

Cheers J, ya, glad to have it done. This weekends runs were fairly crucial to me really. If I funked them up confidance would be shot with so little time left. Glad to get the saturday/sundays runs done and not bail early in either if them even though not 100% satisfactory.

Sh1ts getting real now...

Sunday 22/03/2015 15 miles @ 8:19
    Went out for this on with a plan of 12 miles and anything more a bonus.
    Headed out salthill and felt reasonably good, so after 8 miles I decided to go for the 15. Did 3*1 mile loops of south park to bring the planned 12 up to 15 miles.
    Glad to get through this week after not feeling to well for a bit. Was getting doubts earlier but all good again :)

Fair play Marty, I'm tired reading it! How long left?

Monday 23/03/2015 Rest :D
    Fair play Marty, I'm tired reading it! How long left?

Cheers, It all kicks of on the 12th April at 9am all going well :)

Tuesday 24/03/2015 Rest

Wednesday 25/03/2015 12 miles @ 8:18

Tuesday- Unplanned rest day. Just ran out of time to go for a run as a few things came up that needed attention.

Todays 12 miles was grand. Weather was cold, wet and fairly blustery, perfect for my training requirements at this time :D:D
    Threw a cheeky little buttons easter egg in my shopping basket this evening :D

Some going to get a 30-15 back to back Marty. That's more than I ever did. Taper well now.
    Are you going to do any races during taper? You'd be surprised how far your recent aerobic development will take you over even the shorter distances...

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Some going to get a 30-15 back to back Marty. That's more than I ever did. Taper well now.
    Are you going to do any races during taper? You'd be surprised how far your recent aerobic development will take you over even the shorter distances...

Cheers Meno, hadn't really considered a race this side of it.... Alhough, there is a 10k the previous week that I wanted to do but never got the chance?? Would this be ok do you think?? I'm thinking it shouldn't be to much of a problem as mileage will be low and usually a quick recovery from a 10k???? You've got me thinking now :)

Thursday 26/03/2015 11 miles @ 8:07

Nice jaunt over the river, out by salthill and back home. Lovely evening for it.
    Looking forward to the weekend now. No guzzling of pints, just to be away from work for a couple of days sounds good to me :)

Cheers Meno, hadn't really considered a race this side of it.... Alhough, there is a 10k the previous week that I wanted to do but never got the chance?? Would this be ok do you think?? I'm thinking it shouldn't be to much of a problem as mileage will be low and usually a quick recovery from a 10k???? You've got me thinking now :)

You mean the previous week as in less than 7 days before Conn? if so I wouldn't risk it to be honest, but more than a week before then probably.

When I was saying to do a race the norm would be to have a 'blow out' race 2 weeks out from your goal ultra/marathon.

menoscemo wrote: »
    You mean the previous week as in less than 7 days before Conn? if so I wouldn't risk it to be honest, but more than a week before then probably.

When I was saying to do a race the norm would be to have a 'blow out' race 2 weeks out from your goal ultra/marathon.

Ya, it's 7-8 days before... Will probably leave it tbh, I'm sure I'd have a fear of injury at that stage anyways and probably wouldn't do it justice anyways :)

Friday 27/03/2015 5 miles @ 9:30

Easy/recovery run tonight. Most enjoyable :)

Saturday 28/03/2015 19 miles @ 8:33

Last longish run before connemara. When I headed out there was a fair bit of headwind to deal with. Decided not to push onto any definite pace, and just go about with reasonable effort.

Another issue came up which was kinda niggling at my a couple of times was the base layer I wear. Over the last couple of months I decided to try wearing a baselayer occasionally in case I would require it for connemara. Any time I wear it it's great for keeping my warm and all that but one problem takes all the good from it. The outside of my upper arm, right below the shoulder gets very achy/sore. Probably due to a bit of resistance as a nove my arms while running, but it's at the stage now where I will probably not wear it.

Anyways, enough of that... Taper time is to be endured enjoyed :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 29/03/2015 7 miles @7:53

Quick loop in around town to round off the week. This time 2 weeks from now
    I predict I'll be fast asleep with a medal on my locker :)

Monday 30/03/2015 Rest

Tuesday 31/03/2015 12 miles @ 7:55

12 miles today along by the coast. Felt good throughout, weather good, light shower halfway through which was refreshing...

Garmin acting up a bit lately. Was freezing on start up screen for a bit. It better not let me down on the 12th :)

Wednesday 01/04/2015 5 miles @ 8:25

Short run about the neighbourhood to keep the legs moving a bit.
    Enjoyed it but started imagining injuries towards the end. Thinking I "felt" something strange when I didn't...
    Also entered Athlone flatline at early bird price :)

Also entered Athlone flatline at early bird price :)

Snap :D

Thursday 02/04/2015 Rest

Friday 03/04/2015 7 miles @ 8:02

Took a rest day on thursday.... Just because.....

Enjoyed the 7 miles this evening. Very mild out there I found. Was in Dublin today for a couple of hours to pick up a few bits and bobs... Might head up more often to explore what ye have to offer....

• Advertisement

Saturday 04/04/2015 Rest

Sunday 05/04/2015 10 miles @ 7:48

Another rest day yesterday. I will not be able to say I wasn't rested coming into connemara '15 :D:D

10 miles today out to salthill and back. Felt really comfortable today. Wanted to keep pace slower but it just felt effortless so just went with it. Weather was, dare I say it, to warm :D:D I'll be fooked if its that warm next sunday :)

What plans for after Conn Marty? Half or full in Portumna?

What plans for after Conn Marty? Half or full in Portumna?
    Well the plan all along was to do the half, but I'd be lying if I said the full didn't cross my mind lately :-D.

I'll wait until a couple of days after Conn to make a final decisio.. Knowing me, I'll probably change my mind a few times after that as well :-D :-D

I'll keep you informed of my plans anyway :-)

Well the plan all along was to do the half, but I'd be lying if I said the full didn't cross my mind lately :-D.

I'll wait until a couple of days after Conn to make a final decisio.. Knowing me, I'll probably change my mind a few times after that as well :-D :-D

I'll keep you informed of my plans anyway :-)

The full could be a good option based on what meno said a few weeks ago.

What's the nutrition strategy for the weekend?

The full could be a good option based on what meno said a few weeks ago.

What's the nutrition strategy for the weekend?

Ya, thats kinda the way I'm thinking. It would be a no pressure marathon but would give me something to work off. DCM '14 result wasn't a true reflection of where I was at so a little lost as to where I'm at now. This would give me a benchmark at least.

Nutrition wise, I've taken to all things spiritual lately, so the lord himself will nourish my body and mind.... (I may treat myself to a sports drink and maybe a few Jaffas) :D:D

Nutrition wise, I've taken to all things spiritual lately, so the lord himself will nourish my body and mind.... (I may treat myself to a sports drink and maybe a few Jaffas) :D:D

Kinda similar on the nutrition front myself. Haven't taken a gel since Dublin and this weekend was the first time I even took water on a run since DCM. Have done 80% of long runs on empty also. Knowing me I'll probably bring the gels & not use them ;) I'd love to be able to dispense with the hassle of the gel belt. Btw I will have a supply of electrolytes.

Kinda similar on the nutrition front myself. Haven't taken a gel since Dublin and this weekend was the first time I even took water on a run since DCM. Have done 80% of long runs on empty also. Knowing me I'll probably bring the gels & not use them ;) I'd love to be able to dispense with the hassle of the gel belt. Btw I will have a supply of electrolytes.

You make it sound like you'll be dealing them, as in, here bud, some good stuff, €3, ya didn't get it off me :D:D

You make it sound like you'll be dealing them, as in, here bud, some good stuff, €3, ya didn't get it off me :D:D

:D

Monday 06/04/2015 Rest

Tuesday 07/04/2015 10 miles @ 8:16

Martys "more rest days than Mario Balotelli" week :D ......

Nice little run out salthill again today. Nice and relaxed, with the sun beating down
    on my recently shaved head :)

Just 2-3 short little runs left now before D day. Getting a little jittery now even though I have no real expectations about the run... Even got it into my head I have two loose toenails ....

Wednesday 08/04/2015 5 miles @ 8:28

5 relaxed mile to keep it ticking over. Deep breathes.... Why am I panicking over a non goal time run?? Get over it Marty :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement