Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Tralee General Hospital that's free please?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm bring a friend there tomorrow and he might be waiting around for a while so I'm going to be coming and going, they are on crutches so I'm planning on dropping them as close to the door as I can and heading out and parking outside and heading back in.
    I'm going to be going to the shopping centre for a while as well but it's a little far to walk in case my friend needs me to come back to help with anything.

Is there free parking in the vicinity? I have never been to that hospital before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nearest free parking is the manor west shopping centre. There is a garage just before the hospital but they have signs up saying customers only and there's clamping.

What I usually do if I'm dropping someone there is go to the garage or shopping centre for a coffee and a roll and just wait. If they're gonna be longer then it's only a 5min drive to town for a wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks. I went the other side of the round about after dropping my friend off and got parking in the disued lot next to the doctors while I checked on my friend.
    In Manor west now.
    I noticed there was cars parked on the side of the street in the residential area there but didn't want to chance it or risk pissing above off.
    There also seems to be parking If you can get a space on the main thoroughfare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Parking at the hospital is a bit of a cost issue, although you can park free for the first 30 mins (?) in the main carpark.

I know there are a lot of residents in the area not happy with the amount of people parking outside houses etc and walking to the hospital. Kellihers garage are clamping if people are using it for hospital parking and have signs up to say this. I have seen cars clamped!
    The hospital makes pure profit on that carpark, and it has been brought up a few times by various councillors to reduce the cost of parking, or to give more allowances to those who have to go there regularly, or stay for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, just to update again, I did manage to avoid using the car park but only by walking a fair bit which was fine. The car parks there were extremely full anyway and lots of cars not in actual spaces. I would probably have walked as far anyway.

I do appreciate how annoying it must be for residents which is why I avoided parking in front of houses

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, just to update again, I did manage to avoid using the car park but only by walking a fair bit which was fine. The car parks there were extremely full anyway and lots of cars not in actual spaces. I would probably have walked as far anyway.

I do appreciate how annoying it must be for residents which is why I avoided parking in front of houses

that carpark isn't big enough for the amount of visitors & patients. Its a bit silly to have such a small carpark for such a big hospital!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MissyB71

Omg I hate that whole pay parking setup. They must think cars are a luxury. People like me who live miles away, and are bringing a chikd for appointments, need a car and need to park close. Out patient appointment waiting times are costing car park users money! Lots of experience here. Everybody I ask has the same appointment time, give or take 15 minutes, meaning nobody gets seen to for at least an hour. least I said, I used to be longer till I copped onto a little trick ;). But I never get out without having to pay 5 euro at least. Why should we have to pay more car park fees because the doctors want everyone bunched in at the same time like cattle, ready to go, while they swan down at their own pace, or might not even be ready to start seeing people.grrrr

Advertisement