Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defer 3rd Year

Options
  • 30-09-2014 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am a third year student. My father has recently passed away from suicide and I did not want to go to college this year. despite this I forced myself to go back after listening to some if my family and I feel like I have made a huge mistake.

I have only gone in once in the past two weeks , and I feel It would be my best decision to defer my year and take a year out to work and go to counselling and just try and make myself happier and work through my grief.

This is my final year and I need to be able to apply myself and I know in my heart i wont.

Im so confused and dont know what to do ,If anyone has been in a similar situation please give me some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sorry to hear your news. I'm not exactly sure this is a South County Dublin issue though, so you might get better advice somewhere else such as the education or personal issues forums.

In practical terms, you are only going to get the information on the deferring issue from your college, so you really need to talk to them. They should already have a system in place for similar scenarios and will be able to advise you best.

z

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but colleges now have a lot of services they can offer you as there's usually a student councillor or bereavement aid person to help out.

I'd contact someone, head of the course, a councillor, course secretary, the student's union will have a student welfare officer, even a lecturer and let them know what you're going through, they won't know other wise.

Remember it's best to let them know sooner than later too. You may be able to work through it with teh help of the college or it may be best to defer but the college will have experience in these matters whereas the rest of us regular people won't.

Advertisement