Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for 13 or 14 inch Windows 8 touch laptop

Options
  • 30-09-2014 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Parents need to replace their 6 year old Dell Desktop. 15 inch laptops are pretty heavy hence the 13 or 14 inch choice. Other than that would be looking for i5 or i7 processor, 4gb min RAM, high resolution display. Not too pushed on Hard Drive size.

Mostly used for internet access / email but occasionally used for Sky Go, Netflix.

Budget around 750-800.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Plates wrote: »
    Parents need to replace their 6 year old Dell Desktop. 15 inch laptops are pretty heavy hence the 13 or 14 inch choice. Other than that would be looking for i5 or i7 processor, 4gb min RAM, high resolution display. Not too pushed on Hard Drive size.

Mostly used for internet access / email but occasionally used for Sky Go, Netflix.

Budget around 750-800.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Have a look in the bargain alerts thread and on hukd, should find loads of options with that budget.
    Even a refurb MacBook Air might be worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

bidiots wrote: »
    Have a look in the bargain alerts thread and on hukd, should find loads of options with that budget.
    Even a refurb MacBook Air might be worth considering?

Will have a look on hukd. Bargain alerts has options, but all seem to be lower end specs. MacBook not an option, will have a hard enough time showing them how to navigate Windows 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/131308738161?nav=SEARCH

I own a higher spec version of this. Easily the best laptop I've owned and I've a few. Can't beat Lenovo builds. It's such a fun laptop! Price is pretty good for what you get.

Exceeds your specs and is within your budget just about after import taxes and shipping.

You'd probably want this for yourself after spending a few mins with it though. Can't fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Plates wrote: »
    Will have a look on hukd. Bargain alerts has options, but all seem to be lower end specs. MacBook not an option, will have a hard enough time showing them how to navigate Windows 8!

I suggested Macbook Air as I thought weight would be a factor. To be honest, its easier to adapt to Mac than Windows but that's up to you I suppose.
    The HUKD site has plenty of options and another method is to check Dell for their Daily Deals, there was a beast going for sale last week that would have fit your budget. Also, Dell Outlet UK have options updated daily.

I'm in a similar position as yourself, I'm replacing a laptop. I've actually gone full circle in chasing down another laptop to an AIO(All in One) option such as the Dell XPS 18 or even the Inspiron AIO, just maybe worth considering....

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=1

Let us know which way you go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

bidiots wrote: »
    I suggested Macbook Air as I thought weight would be a factor. To be honest, its easier to adapt to Mac than Windows but that's up to you I suppose.
    The HUKD site has plenty of options and another method is to check Dell for their Daily Deals, there was a beast going for sale last week that would have fit your budget. Also, Dell Outlet UK have options updated daily.

I'm in a similar position as yourself, I'm replacing a laptop. I've actually gone full circle in chasing down another laptop to an AIO(All in One) option such as the Dell XPS 18 or even the Inspiron AIO, just maybe worth considering....

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=1

Let us know which way you go anyway

Dunno if you checked my link out but it's a cracker of a laptop and weighs just 1.7kg so only slightly heavier than the Macbook air. UHD resolution screen so blows the Air away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

irishmover wrote: »
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/131308738161?nav=SEARCH

I own a higher spec version of this. Easily the best laptop I've owned and I've a few. Can't beat Lenovo builds. It's such a fun laptop! Price is pretty good for what you get.

Exceeds your specs and is within your budget just about after import taxes and shipping.

You'd probably want this for yourself after spending a few mins with it though. Can't fault it at all.

I got an original Yoga 13 for my dad earlier this year when it was on sale and it was a smart move. He adapted to windows 8 very quickly and uses it 50 / 50 in laptop mode and tablet mode. Seriously handy form factor and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

+1 on the Yoga 2. Only reservation would be the new model will be announced really soon: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2689112/new-lenovo-yoga-tablets-pcs-due-out-for-holiday-season.html

(even if you don't plan on buying one of those, it'd probably mean a reduction in price for the older models)

Advertisement