Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Cover

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

young lad is putting rain cover on horse occasionally.
    he wants the horses hair ....to grow.....

he gets different advice.....

he has been told that the horse will get sick....cold/flu.......

should he either leave rain cover on and off.

Paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

most horses are grand with rain, once its not super cold. Ours happily stand out in gales in the summer without bothering to shelter.It's the freezing cold rain that gets to them.

i don't have rugs on my lads yet as I don't think the temperature dropped enough. But this depends on knowing the shelter in your field?, the location?, is it blasted by winds? is the horse hardy?

One of mines a tb living out 24/7 and i haven't rugged yet cause i want his coat to grow more. I'l only rug once the temp drops where we are a bit more.

Some people rug up at the first sign of clouds and each yard has a different attitude to it, so you will always get conflicting advice. Someone with a bad doer or an elderly horse will be rugging up faster if they feel their horse needs it. I personally feel people over rug a lot nowadays, 20 years ago you had a winter rug that you threw on if it was dreadful weather and that was it, and the horses were grand.

Is there anyone sensible with a lot of experience on your yard that you could bounce questions off? They'd have more of an idea of your particular horse and circumstances.

Advertisement