Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye Free Water Today's The Last Day

• 30-09-2014 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Enjoy the last day of free water. Years ago they always joked 'next they'll be charging you for water
    ..' then came Ballygowen and we started to pay for bottled water more expensive nearly than petrol and oil, now its tap water etc... what is next air?! Oh yes I believe in some other countries they charge for containers of fresh air

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sounds like a bunch of freeloading crap to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not2Good wrote: »
    Enjoy the last day of free water. Years ago they always joked 'next they'll be charging you for water
    ..' then came Ballygowen and we started to pay for bottled water more expensive nearly than petrol and oil, now its tap water etc... what is next air?! Oh yes I believe in some other countries they charge for containers of fresh air

Sure how else would ya go scuba diving :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I have no meter so I pay an assessed charge. No point in me filling the bath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I despise the cûnts at Irish Water and their speel about charges being necessary to improve the infrastructure.

Where I live the water is that bad that it can eat through a kettle in about 2 weeks, shower is constantly full of lime scale.

Asked Irish Water and they told me they currently have no plans to do anything about it!

Bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There's a nice little earner for 'assessed' households renting their garden hose to the neighbours to fill the paddling pool and wash the great dane

• Advertisement

I despise the cûnts at Irish Water and their speel about charges being necessary to improve the infrastructure.

Where I live the water is that bad that it can eat through a kettle in about 2 weeks, shower is constantly full of lime scale.

Asked Irish Water and they told me they currently have no plans to do anything about it!

Bastards!
    If your supply isnt of drinkable quality you pay nothing, according to the news this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have no meter so I pay an assessed charge. No point in me filling the bath

Your on an assessed charge, the same as everyone for 9 months anyway so go fecking mental for that 9 months, buy in big canisters, fill them all with water!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

Didnt think water was ever free. Was that not what our taxes were paying for indirectly?

If your supply isnt of drinkable quality you pay nothing, according to the news this morning

It's hit and miss to be honest, compared to my Nannys water who has her own we'll there's definitely a noticeable taste but it still is drinkable.

It's always been like... It's grand shur it's free but now that we've to pay for water they better do something about it!

Hate Lime Scale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

fergie24 wrote: »
    Didnt think water was ever free. Was that not what our taxes were paying for indirectly?

And still are so now where paying twice, well tomorrow we will be.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »

Yay more unnecessary tax (!)

<3 you Enda!....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will miss having a beer sitting in my kids paddling pool on a hot summers evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dan1895 wrote: »

Not your taxes now only cover running the other bits of the country like social welfare, health and education also some overworked and a lot of underworked civil servants. Yet we still borrow huge amounts ever month to provide them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

But you will paying for disposing of it, that is unless you put it all in a bucket and feck it out the window

kryogen wrote: »
    Your on an assessed charge, the same as everyone for 9 months anyway so go fecking mental for that 9 months, buy in big canisters, fill them all with water!

Thats what I said to them on the phone last week, whats the point in conservation when an assessed charge means I can use what I want. I had major issues and still do. The water mains comes into my garden but supplies me and two other houses. There is me, the wife and toddler son, then the house next door is divided into flats and the last house is a large enough family of adults. Thats a lot of pressure on one mains and most nights our pressure is so poor that we have to have showers and a bath for the little fella in the day time.
    The only way to solve it it for the other two houses to build their own mains, the last house is doing it but the house thats divided into flats has a tight arse land lord who isnt in any rush to put in his own mains.
    I told him the other day that after Halloween im disconnecting the mains from my garden onwards so he has no choice

I will miss having a beer sitting in my kids paddling pool on a hot summers evening
    You can still do that, just fill the paddling pool with lager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not your taxes now only cover running the other bits of the country like social welfare, health and education also some overworked and a lot of underworked civil servants. Yet we still borrow huge amounts ever month to provide them.

Aw ****... someone mentioned the the PS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Bastards!

Maybe some Calgon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

monthly showers from now on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29 5150time

This may help your quest for free natural resources, em water!! copy it and send it back to them along with the information pack you received ;)

To whom it may concern,
    I recently received a communication from your company looking for certain information from me regarding my household i.e. requesting means of payment information from me and requesting me to sign a document stating that I the householder was in agreement with you billing me for water supplied.
    Unfortunately I am not in a position to supply this information or sign this agreement.
    I would like for you to understand why I am in the position not to do this.
    Firstly the form you sent out is in effect a contract. By law a contract is a document whereby both parties are in agreement with the particulars laid down in the document and are aligned regarding the terms and conditions of the information contained within the document.
    This is not the case with the document you sent to my house. This document is a contract biased against the householder in favor of Irish water.
    This document does not in any way or form represent the views or concerns of the second party (me) who is being asked to sign.
    There is no information within the document that pertains to what rate I the home owner will be charged. How this rate will be calculated. What allowances I will be given and what guarantees I will have in relation to supply or service.
    As per the water services act 2013 Irish water will provide:
    [2013.] Water services Act 2013 [No.6.] Pr.4 S.
    (a) functions relating to the fixing of charges in respect of the
    provision of such water services,
    (b) the specification of minimum standards of service as
    respects the provision of such water services,
    (c) the protection of the interests of persons to whom water
    services are provided;
    Regarding section (a) as stated earlier there was no information contained in the document you sent to me stating what the rate for water usage would be yet you asked me for a means of payment i.e. looking for bank details for a direct debit! This would be the same as my purchasing a car and not agreeing the monthly payment but rather giving my bank details and giving the creditor Cart Blanche to take whatever he wanted out of my account.
    You have also asked for the PPS numbers of all people resident within my household. Why you need this information is beyond me as if this was a fact finding document the information could easily be given.
    Also according to the dept. Of Social Protection:
    2.1.1 Who can use the PPS Number?
    The PPS No. replaced the Revenue and Social Insurance Number (RSI No.) that was only used in relation to transactions with Revenue and the Department of Social Protection. The PPS Number can be used by:
    Any organisation listed in legislation, e.g. a Government Department or Health Service Executive.
    Any person or body authorised by a public body to do so.
    Any person who has a transaction with a public body
    2.1.2 Who cannot use the PPS Number?
    Private companies or bodies, other than in transactions with public bodies
    Any person or body not authorised under legislation to do so.
    As Irish Water is a private company you are not entitled to this information and I could find no evidence within the Water services Act 2013 to state otherwise. So why are you looking for it?
    Regarding section (b) this related to your guarantee relating to the type of service I can expect from your company in respect to water supplied to my dwelling. There is no detail covering this item provided in the documentation sent to me.
    And finally section (c) the protection of the interests of the persons to who water service is provided, I am assuming this covers a broad spectrum including health and safety i.e. the purity and condition of the water you are supplying. None of my concerns have been addressed here i.e. the amount or fluoride that is added to the water being supplied which is well in excess of European counterparts and has been proven to cause a degree of docility within people which this present government would be happy to allow to continue.
    If there is an issue with water supplied that negates people from drinking it without first boiling will they still have to pay?
    So far you have failed to meet any of the expectations set out for you in the Water services act 2013 and you have sought information from people you are not entitled to.
    There are also a few other issues I have in relation to this unfair charge that both this government and Irish water are trying to impose on me.
    You say that there is a cost in supplying water to the people of this country yet Irish Water in their wisdom or arrogance decided to spend in excess of €150 million on a system for Irish Water that was already in place i.e. clone the system used by Bord Gais.
    Had this €150 million been invested in repairing the infrastructure that is currently allowing 40%+ of water leak to ground you could have cut the cost of producing water by up to 33% but instead it was used to appease wealthy cronies.
    There is also the case of the multimillion Euro gym Irish Water has built for its workers. Would it not have been cheaper to simply pay the fee to a local gym as a BIK to the employee? Is it now the case that the cost of this luxury will be passed onto the customer?
    Will it not also be the case as it is with Bord Gais and the ESB or Electric Ireland that all workers will have the luxury of paying less for the service their house receives through either lower payments or increased allowances?
    Do I the customer feel that the revenues collected by Irish Water will be used for their true purpose i.e. providing a robust water delivery system with no leaks?
    Clean pure water (less fluoride on par with Europe), improved reservoirs and an assurance that my service will not suffer?
    The answer to these questions is no. These revenues will be used to bay huge bonuses, cover lavish expenses and covering the cost of subsidizing the Irish Water employees and the political masters who put this company in place.
    As usual it is the ordinary person of the state that will suffer through increased costs and diminished service.
    If you wish for me to sign any form of agreement or contract relating to the supply of water to my house then I wish it to be a contract drawn up between me and Irish Water detailing the expectations from Irish Water as a service supplier, incorporating my concerns as a customer and Irish Water’s agreement that my concerns will be resolved prior to any payment.

Yours Sincerely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

5150time wrote: »
    This may help your quest for free natural resources, em water!! copy it and send it back to them along with the information pack you received ;)

To whom it may concern,
    I recently received a communication from your company looking for certain information from me regarding my household i.e. requesting means of payment information from me and requesting me to sign a document stating that I the householder was in agreement with you billing me for water supplied..........
    You need to go back to law school buddy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hubbie power washed the driveway over the weekend and even did the next door neighbours driveway too for her.

Tonight he will wash the cars (I hope).

My parents have their own water supply so he will be going out there to wash the cars from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yay more unnecessary tax (!)

<3 you Enda!....

Oi!

:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ah well, yet another tax introduced for what had been once seen as a core essential service of the state. Well at least the fresh air take will not be taking effect till after the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

So will everyone have a bath tonight & water the hell out of the garden/car/dog/annoying kid next door, just for the sake of it?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hubbie power washed the driveway over the weekend and even did the next door neighbours driveway too for her.

My parents have their own water supply so he will be going out there to wash the cars from now on.

So, doing chores like these will be a thing of the past?

Silly methinks.

Don't forget to get a good clumping cat litter.
    It will save on flushing that toilet.

Uriel. wrote: »
    You need to go back to law school buddy :rolleyes:

Why are those freeman type posts always so looooooooong...?

It's a small consolation to having a new bill to pay, but I do enjoy the thought of them leppin' up and down in impotent fury when the bills arrive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No contract - No consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

paulbok wrote: »
    So will everyone have a bath tonight & water the hell out of the garden/car/dog/annoying kid next door, just for the sake of it?

No but a water balloon fight is definitely on the cards.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Bollocks. You pay road tolls, don't you?

Disconnect your supply and you won't have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Lapin wrote: »

That only works if you don't use any water. By availing of the service, you are contracted to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

So is anyone sending off no consent no contract? Supppsedly they cant cut the water because the council has to give you water? 2

annettea wrote: »
    So is anyone sending off no consent no contract? Supppsedly they cant cut the water because the council has to give you water? 2

Go on. Do it. Keep us updated!

:D

Damn this warm weather. I wanted to have a hot bath last night, had candles and music all set up but it was too warm in the house to enjoy it properly.

What's the bets the temperature drops to minus 5 tomorrow :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Jaysus. When I wash the car it takes 3 - 4, 2-gallon buckets = 18 litres max.
    At €4.88/1000l that works out at less than 9c for the water to wash the car.
    How much will he spend on fuel driving out there to wash the cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bastards!

Maybe you should move.

So, doing chores like these will be a thing of the past?

Silly methinks.

Don't forget to get a good clumping cat litter.
    It will save on flushing that toilet.

If it's yellow, let it mellow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

To whom it may concern,
    I recently received a communication from your company looking for certain information from me regarding my household i.e. requesting means of payment information from me and requesting me to sign a document stating that I the householder was in agreement with you billing me for water supplied.
    Unfortunately I am not in a position to supply this information or sign this agreement.
    Firstly the form you sent out is in effect a contract. By law a contract is a document whereby both parties are in agreement with the particulars laid down in the document and are aligned regarding the terms and conditions of the information contained within the document.
    This is not the case with the document you sent to my house. This document is a contract biased against the householder in favor of Irish water.
    This document does not in any way or form represent the views or concerns of the second party (me) who is being asked to sign.
    There is no information within the document that pertains to what rate I the home owner will be charged. How this rate will be calculated. What allowances I will be given and what guarantees I will have in relation to supply or service.
    services are provided;
    Regarding section (a) as stated earlier there was no information contained in the document you sent to me stating what the rate for water usage would be yet you asked me for a means of payment i.e. looking for bank details for a direct debit! This would be the same as my purchasing a car and not agreeing the monthly payment but rather giving my bank details and giving the creditor Cart Blanche to take whatever he wanted out of my account.
    You have also asked for the PPS numbers of all people resident within my household. Why you need this information is beyond me as if this was a fact finding document the information could easily be given.
    The PPS No. replaced the Revenue and Social Insurance Number (RSI No.) that was only used in relation to transactions with Revenue and the Department of Social Protection. The PPS Number can be used by:
    Any organisation listed in legislation, e.g. a Government Department or Health Service Executive.
    As Irish Water is a private company you are not entitled to this information and I could find no evidence within the Water services Act 2013 to state otherwise. So why are you looking for it?
    Regarding section (b) this related to your guarantee relating to the type of service I can expect from your company in respect to water supplied to my dwelling. There is no detail covering this item provided in the documentation sent to me.
    And finally section (c) the protection of the interests of the persons to who water service is provided, I am assuming this covers a broad spectrum including health and safety i.e. the purity and condition of the water you are supplying. None of my concerns have been addressed here i.e. the amount or fluoride that is added to the water being supplied which is well in excess of European counterparts and has been proven to cause a degree of docility within people which this present government would be happy to allow to continue.
    If there is an issue with water supplied that negates people from drinking it without first boiling will they still have to pay?
    So far you have failed to meet any of the expectations set out for you in the Water services act 2013 and you have sought information from people you are not entitled to.
    There are also a few other issues I have in relation to this unfair charge that both this government and Irish water are trying to impose on me.
    You say that there is a cost in supplying water to the people of this country yet Irish Water in their wisdom or arrogance decided to spend in excess of €150 million on a system for Irish Water that was already in place i.e. clone the system used by Bord Gais.
    Had this €150 million been invested in repairing the infrastructure that is currently allowing 40%+ of water leak to ground you could have cut the cost of producing water by up to 33% but instead it was used to appease wealthy cronies.
    There is also the case of the multimillion Euro gym Irish Water has built for its workers. Would it not have been cheaper to simply pay the fee to a local gym as a BIK to the employee? Is it now the case that the cost of this luxury will be passed onto the customer?
    Will it not also be the case as it is with Bord Gais and the ESB or Electric Ireland that all workers will have the luxury of paying less for the service their house receives through either lower payments or increased allowances?
    Do I the customer feel that the revenues collected by Irish Water will be used for their true purpose i.e. providing a robust water delivery system with no leaks?
    Clean pure water (less fluoride on par with Europe), improved reservoirs and an assurance that my service will not suffer?
    The answer to these questions is no. These revenues will be used to bay huge bonuses, cover lavish expenses and covering the cost of subsidizing the Irish Water employees and the political masters who put this company in place.
    As usual it is the ordinary person of the state that will suffer through increased costs and diminished service.
    If you wish for me to sign any form of agreement or contract relating to the supply of water to my house then I wish it to be a contract drawn up between me and Irish Water detailing the expectations from Irish Water as a service supplier, incorporating my concerns as a customer and Irish Water’s agreement that my concerns will be resolved prior to any payment.

Yours Sincerely

Lost you after "just recently".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't believe people are still stupid enough to swallow the "no contract no consent" nonsense being peddled by those freemen morons. It's depressing really.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I can't believe people are still stupid enough to swallow the "no contract no consent" nonsense being peddled by those freemen morons. It's depressing really.

It's not depressing. It's funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Does anyone know if they have water charges in Brussels where Phil Hogan is currently putting his feet up?

The current McNulty issue is miniscule when compared to the cronyism involved in creating Irish Water.

Does anyone know if they have water charges in Brussels

Yes.

Belgium has water bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

josip wrote: »
    Jaysus. When I wash the car it takes 3 - 4, 2-gallon buckets = 18 litres max.
    At €4.88/1000l that works out at less than 9c for the water to wash the car.
    How much will he spend on fuel driving out there to wash the cars?

Yeah, but he'll have stuck it to the man and that's way more important than thinking something through.

I'm gong to run a hose down to the sea, and build my own nuclear reactor to power a desalination plant in the garden. Up yours Irish Water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So we join the rest of Europe in paying water rates.
    New topic.. Ivan Yates wrote a book and it's being previewed in tomorrow's independent. :)

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Yeah, but he'll have stuck it to the man and that's way more important than thinking something through.

I'm gong to run a hose down to the sea, and build my own nuclear reactor to power a desalination plant in the garden. Up yours Irish Water!

I've a similar plan. I'm going to leave some buckets out when it rains!

Wait...

Maybe the water is still free? Maybe it's just the infrastructure that has to be paid for? I would have to buy the buckets....?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm not seeing a section on the IW website to complain about water quality. Gonna have to go for general enquiries to complain daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Think I'll set up my own rainwater harvesting company. Will make a fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

It's as about as free as free healthcare. A huge proportion of the people in irish water were working in the local authorities were they not? I gather they were not working for free, so you were paying for it in tax.

The issue with irish water is where is the tax cut since they are no longer working in the local authorities? They no longer have that cost so that money should be returned to the taxpayers.

Can we please ban the word free when used with government. It is not free. That is propaganda of the worst kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm gonna start selling water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

To whom it may concern,
    services are provided;

Yours Sincerely

Where is the signature section please ?? didn't appear on the two forms I received.

p.s. Say it doesn't rain for another month, if we don't get the product we're paying for can we go to the small claims court?

• Advertisement
Advertisement