Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye Free Water Today's The Last Day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Start a compost heap
    Piss on it instead of in the jax
    ??????
    Profit

S**t on it as well. Make some good fertiliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Satriale wrote: »
    I doubt they would especially in Heidis case, but it would be easy enough to install some kind of flow control valve at the meter.
    If they did i imagine it would leave them open to all kind of bad publicity if there was a fire in a house/elderly person living in filth and squalor because they couldnt wash.

"Elderly man dies in fire, water turned to a trickle by Irish Water weeks before"

If their highly paid consultants havent told them that they they should get our money back.

It could just as easily be undone by some random vandal of course.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Also, I wish people would stop banging on about "I can never give my grandkids a bath again", "I'll never be able to wash the car again" "what about my swimming pool???" (OK, I haven't actually heard the last one yet, but there's today's Liveline to go) etc etc etc.

NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU DOING THESE THINGS.

You'll just have to pay for them. They'll turn into the luxuries they always should have been.

OH, I see. Luxuries, eh?

Santa: "Have you been a good little stinking urchin all year?"

Foul-stenching child: "I have, Santa."

Santa: "And what would you like for Christmas?"

Revolting muck-caked wretch: "A shower to go with the bar of soap I got for my birthday last April."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Egginacup wrote: »
    Free water didn't bankrupt the state, in case you hadn't noticed. Powerful elites bankrupted the state and then handed the general populace the invoice.

We're all 'The State'. We all have a vote. I got free education. Lots of people got lots of jobs. Lots of people got tax cuts. Lots of people bought decking. I got a free education that I couldn't have paid for otherwise.

'The State' is a system that we're all part of. I personally played no part in bankrupting it. I didn't benefit hugely from the tiger days, but I did benefit. As did we all. I accept that it has to be paid for. I don't like to see those of us who's decisions and actions resulted in the situation we all find ourselves in getting off so lightly, but we collectively have a bill, and it has to be paid.

It's crappy, but it's a fact. The vast majority of people gave approval ,via their vote, to a government the allowed the Cowboys to get away with it. I have no personal responsibility for what happened. I didn't buy an apartment in Bulgaria. I didn't take ten holidays a year. I didn't join the property ladder panic. But I accept the fact that I live as part of a wider society, and that that society fcuked up. I accept my responsibility as part of that society to unfcuk things.

As posted earlier, we used to pay rates which, along with international borrowings, paid for services. Rates were, stupidly, done away with. And we all voted for the government who did away with them, because we don't individually like to pay for stuff. Since then, services have been paid for from central revenues. Plus more international borrowings. What the water charge does, in theory, is reduce the shortfall that must be borrowed for this one specific service.

Look on the bright side. If we pay a specific charge for a specific service, we can now demand that that service be delivered properly. People in 'boil water' areas won't have to put up with the excuse that there aren't funds in central revenue to fix that ridiculous problem.

For the record, I don't like the idea of water charges, because I'd rather not pay them. I accept though, that my personal preferences have no bearing whatsoever on the nature of fiscal reality as it stands. I'd rather not pay them, but I'll pay them.

endacl wrote: »
    We're all 'The State'. We all have a vote. I got free education. Lots of people got lots of jobs. Lots of people got tax cuts. Lots of people bought decking. I got a free education that I couldn't have paid for otherwise.

'The State' is a system that we're all part of. I personally played no part in bankrupting it. I didn't benefit hugely from the tiger days, but I did benefit. As did we all. I accept that it has to be paid for. I don't like to see those of us who's decisions and actions resulted in the situation we all find ourselves in getting off so lightly, but we collectively have a bill, and it has to be paid.

It's crappy, but it's a fact. The vast majority of people gave approval ,via their vote, to a government the allowed the Cowboys to get away with it. I have no personal responsibility for what happened. I didn't buy an apartment in Bulgaria. I didn't take ten holidays a year. I didn't join the property ladder panic. But I accept the fact that I live as part of a wider society, and that that society fcuked up. I accept my responsibility as part of that society to unfcuk things.

As posted earlier, we used to pay rates which, along with international borrowings, paid for services. Rates were, stupidly, done away with. And we all voted for the government who did away with them, because we don't individually like to pay for stuff. Since then, services have been paid for from central revenues. Plus more international borrowings. What the water charge does, in theory, is reduce the shortfall that must be borrowed for this one specific service.

Look on the bright side. If we pay a specific charge for a specific service, we can now demand that that service be delivered properly. People in 'boil water' areas won't have to put up with the excuse that there aren't funds in central revenue to fix that ridiculous problem.

For the record, I don't like the idea of water charges, because I'd rather not pay them. I accept though, that my personal preferences have no bearing whatsoever on the nature of fiscal reality as it stands. I'd rather not pay them, but I'll pay them.

Well, I can understand you not wanting to pay, your uncle's gambling debts either but if you don't he'll get roughed up badly so you suck it up. Are you going to continue to hand over half your paper-round money loong after his debt has been settled?

So you're effectively admitting that this water charge isn't actually for water at all, nor is it for infrastructure and maintenance but it is actually for debt payment. Is that the case?

How much of this money is actually going to pay off debt and how much of it is going to cronies? How much of it is going to other slush funds? Because if the whole thing is being marketed as monies needed for infrastructure, like so many seem to believe, yet not so much as a washer is replaced then the cash must be going somewhere. No?

• Advertisement

Just wondering.....if you live in an area where the water is not potable can you bill the government for your few litres of Volvic everyday?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It looks like everybody will be paying an assessed charge until next July when those with meters will pay for the metered amount and those without meters will pay an average charge based on their household.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-householders-who-fail-to-register-face-424-annual-water-charge-30625875.html#sthash.vOIQTVff.dpuf

Is the 30000litre household allowance a free allowance that we get to use before we are then charged for anything over that or is it that the yearly rate of €176 includes a free allowance of 30000litres?

I'm still really confused about this too. Why can't IW just give a straight answer to a straight question? As it stands, there is absolutely no reason why I should sign their contract.

Well, I can understand you not wanting to pay, your uncle's gambling debts either but if you don't he'll get roughed up badly so you suck it up. Are you going to continue to hand over half your paper-round money loong after his debt has been settled?

So you're effectively admitting that this water charge isn't actually for water at all, nor is it for infrastructure and maintenance but it is actually for debt payment. Is that the case?

How much of this money is actually going to pay off debt and how much of it is going to cronies? How much of it is going to other slush funds? Because if the whole thing is being marketed as monies needed for infrastructure, like so many seem to believe, yet not so much as a washer is replaced then the cash must be going somewhere. No?

I don't have to 'admit' anything. I didn't propose the charges.

The word your searching for is 'accept'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Just wondering.....if you live in an area where the water is not potable can you bill the government for your few litres of Volvic everyday?

Can you do that now?

If not, you have your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have two meters outside my apt, one for here and one for the place upstairs but which is which? also one of the meters is completely flooded with water and looks like it has a leak. who repairs or examines that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

A better analogy would be that we paid the uncle's gambling debts borrowed money to do it, and then got a massive pay cut and had to borrow far more money to keep the house and family going.

all the while trying to cut our costs and get another job to earn more money to pay back the initial loan and the other much larger loans we had to take out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

josip wrote: »
    So you're hardly ever at home and are complaining about water charges?

Are you the same person in other threads that is happily paying for UPC and presumably a TV licence?

Please correct me if I've missed something

Ah here. Where did I say I was complaining about water charges?

I'm delighted with water charges, they should have been brought in years ago. (Well, maybe not delighted, exactly, but I welcome them.)

What I am grumbling mildly about is the fact that due to not having a meter fitted (yet, I live in hope), I'll be stuck paying an assessed average when I'd bet my next week's wages that if I was billed for actual usage it'd be a fraction of that.

What have my UPC and TV licence got to do with the price of cabbages :confused:

I doubt they would especially in Heidis case, but it would be easy enough to install some kind of flow control valve at the meter.
    If they did i imagine it would leave them open to all kind of bad publicity if there was a fire in a house/elderly person living in filth and squalor because they couldnt wash.

"Elderly man dies in fire, water turned to a trickle by Irish Water weeks before"

If their highly paid consultants havent told them that they they should get our money back.

I don't think they use the kitchen tap to feed their fire hoses :D

The smelly old (or young, lets not be discrimiatory about this) person I don't have an answer for except that maybe washing would take a bit longer in the morning......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I don't think they use the kitchen tap to feed their fire hoses :D

The smelly old (or young, lets not be discrimiatory about this) person I don't have an answer for except that maybe washing would take a bit longer in the morning......

Kitchen taps are handy if you have a small fire. Stops them spreading dont ya know!
    Anyway, its not a subject for amusement.

Kitchen taps are handy if you have a small fire. Stops them spreading dont ya know!
    Anyway, its not a subject for amusement.

This is true. Wasn't thinking along those lines.

My bad.

And you're right, not a joking topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JapaneseLove

How is your water free? I supply and clean my own water supply, and i subsidise the mains supply though my taxes.

I'd be interesed in free water though if you have a source:)

My water is free because i live in the countryside. I drilled my own well and paid for my own pump and installation. As did everybody in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Geuze wrote: »
    We used to use tax plus borrowings to pay for water services.

Now we pay tax plus charges.

So we borrow less.

Your tax won't fall.

But the fiscal deficit will.

My issue is unless you starve government of the ability to borrow and force it to live within its means, this will never stop. I don't have an issue paying for something, but I am not paying for it twice.

I know my tax won't fall, my issue is it should, hence let's ban the word free from government. We need to fundamentally change how we perceive tax in Ireland. We are 181 billion in debt according to financedublin website. The change in the fiscal deficit with water is to ensure we can borrow more cheaper. THAT is my issue. It's a govt tactic to move costs without reducing expenditure. There will be no attempt to return money owed to citizens because the game would then be up. No one in government looks at tax money as money taken from its citizenry, but they should. Today that is the issue.
    I find it very interesting that irish water is not allowed to fire the surplus workers they got from local authorities, strange for a private company, is it not? Again the reason is simple, that would dramatically reduce the bill to everyone, but the real reason they can't is because of blowback...with the inevitable question, what were all these people doing all these years, how much did they spend and how much did they cost. The ferocious eating at the trough will not abate or cease at government until, for example money that was going to be spent on water is refunded...I know I may as well look out the window to see pigs flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Where is the signature section please ?? didn't appear on the two forms I received.

p.s. Say it doesn't rain for another month, if we don't get the product we're paying for can we go to the small claims court?

This is what I was going to ask. Where is the signiture section on the form? Declaration but no required signiture.......very odd.

Form here:
    http://www.water.ie/docs/Irish-Water-customer-application-form-ENGLISH-SAMPLE.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

My water is free because i live in the countryside. I drilled my own well and paid for my own pump and installation. As did everybody in the countryside.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Its not free then, you paid around 4k for the drilling maybe 1k for the pump and pipework. You are paying for electricity every time that pump switches on. You probably put in your own septic tank at anything between 1k and 10k. You will pay for any repairs and upkeep.

On top of that your taxes help pay for the water/sewerage for the rest of the country that depends on the council to do it. Every hour you work, every mile you drive, every purchase you make, every pint you sip. Your property tax was even raided to set up this quango. So in fact we pay more than everyone else does.

Sadly, there is no free water for us my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Essien wrote: »
    :confused:

Paid as in past tense. As in it's paid for and he won't receive any bills.

Well you're trying to sing the praises of an economic policy that pays Michael O'Leary child allowance.

That'd be social policy. Not economic.

Are you sure you're qualified for this thread?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We're currently borrowing billions because we don't pay enough tax. It'd be all very well if that borrowing was being spent on capital improvements, but it's being spent on day to day expenses and our children and grandchildren are going to get the bill. Pay up and stop moaning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Must turn the taps on to full and turn them off at midnight.

Must remember to...turn...off...taps!!!

hmmm wrote: »
    We're currently borrowing billions because we don't pay enough tax. I'm not happy that my children and grandchildren are going to have to repay my debt bill because we've been living beyond our means. Pay up and stop moaning.

I agree.
    Debt due to our cowardice in dealing with this crisis is a kick in the stones for our children.

(Though personally I'd prefer more cuts than taxes)

I agree.
    Debt due to our cowardice in dealing with this crisis is a kick in the stones for our children.

(Though personally I'd prefer more cuts than taxes)

I don't and won't have kids, but I agree. It's our mess. We should clear it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Not sure if it's covered somewhere because I haven't read all 12 pages (so far), but here's the information I got from them:

2 adults 3 kids without pps €732 per year
    2 adults 3 kids with pps €278.16

Paid accordingly divided into quarterly payments

30,000 per household per annum
    21,000 additional per child under 18

Meter cubed = 2.44 in & out

Capped at assessed fee for first nine months.

So if you don't supply your PPS number, they'll charge you almost three times as much.

Aside from that, the allowance is per household, so my spouse gets half of that - 15,000 litres per annum.

The kids actually get more.

As another aside, the allowance is only half of what they say so that 30,000 litres is actually 15,000 in & 15,000 out (divided by the number of adults).

Now it's physically impossible for 100% of the water that comes into the house to go out, so why is it structured like that & also why is the billing over the allowanced structured the same way.

I could use 1,000 litres watering my garden, they'll read the meter & assume that the 1,000 litres I clocked up, got flushed down the drain for treatment and charge me for 2,000 (in & out), but it didn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We're currently borrowing billions because we don't pay enough tax. It'd be all very well if that borrowing was being spent on capital improvements, but it's being spent on day to day expenses and our children and grandchildren are going to get the bill. Pay up and stop moaning.

How much more tax do you propose we pay?

We already make our top rate of tax kick in at an absurdly low level.

We have high fuel taxes, taxes on our insurance policies, health policies. We have to pay for GP and hospital visits. We have a property tax. We pay a TV licence tax even though RTE receive advertising funding. We pay VRT on new car sales then we add VAT on to that - that's double taxation. We pay extra on our bin charges for landfill taxes. Our alcohol and cigarettes are taxed to the hilt. We have excessive motor taxes to pay. We pay road tolls - motor tax isn't enough to cover the roads. We pay more for our groceries than a lot of Europe. Our gas and electric prices are higher than most of Europe. As from tomorrow we pay for water. We pay USC - a tax that doesn't seem to be for anything or cover anything and just heads into the pot to waste.

How much more tax do you suggest we give the government to waste?

mfceiling wrote: »
    How much more tax do you propose we pay?.

I think for this year the government will take back around 36% of GDP as taxes.

Its slightly above the average for a western country.

Your answer?
    As much as it takes.

The only solution to a debt crisis is stop having so much god-damn debt.

Let's not assume also that its wasted.

• Advertisement

7 billion is the difference between what we take in in taxes & what the government spends.

We've just come through near bankruptcy and we still have a government which wastes vast amounts of money on PS salaries, jobs for cronies and massive social welfare handouts. The only alternative government is SF/FF which wants to spend even more. So don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

rawn wrote: »
    Paid as in past tense. As in it's paid for and he won't receive any bills.

Not quite! Pump will run on electricity, most likely maintenance at some stage and if you're unlucky water filter costs.
    For some people Irish Water would be a cheaper option if they had a choice.

I think for this year the government will take back around 36% of GDP as taxes.

Its slightly above the average for a western country.

Your answer?
    As much as it takes.

The only solution to a debt crisis is stop having so much god-damn debt.

Let's not assume also that its wasted.

Ah now come on...

This government and the one before are laughable at the money they have wasted.

E-Voting machines?

€50 odd million on consultants fees to set up Irish Water and they've made a balls of it.

If you think they don't waste our taxes then you're sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

For some people Irish Water would be a cheaper option if they had a choice.

I spoke to a guy last week who said IW would almost certainly cost less than what his well/pump was costing him. Seeing the numbers now he was absolutely correct.

That's before even considering the pain in the hole of having to fix it every time it breaks down, or being without water for that time.

Ah now come on...

This government and the one before are laughable at the money they have wasted.

E-Voting machines?

€50 odd million on consultants fees to set up Irish Water and they've made a balls of it.

If you think they don't waste our taxes then you're sadly mistaken.

Yep e-voting was a decade ago..... OK.

And €50 million creating a utility company that will do its thing for decades to come may seem OK in the fullness of time.
    (And a lot of that cost was trade union mandated).

Either way, small potatoes compared to the €32 billion in day-to-day government debt accrued since 2010.

And €50 million creating a utility company that will do its thing for decades to come may seem OK in the fullness of time.
    I don't think the setup costs were excessive. What will be a problem in the future is that it is yet another SIPTU controlled monopoly, so just like the ESB we will end up with the highest paid workers in the world when they threaten strike. I'd have preferred to see a private operator being put in charge, overseen by the regulator (e.g. the LUAS model). Any funny business and you give the contract to operate Irish Water to someone else.

• Advertisement

Yep e-voting was a decade ago..... OK.

(And a lot of that cost was trade union mandated).

Either way, small potatoes compared to the €32 billion in day-to-day government debt accrued since 2010.

Well why keep coming back to the people for more money if you can't keep a lid on your spending or have excessive wastage?

You don't seem too bothered at the figure of €50 million for Irish Water - I do. Why not send over a few heads to the meet with the Water Utility chiefs in the UK -see what is best practice there first before p*ssing €50 million of our money down the drain.

I honestly believe if we gave this government, or any other of the eejits that are snapping at their heels, 90% of our wages in tax, they would still come cap in hand every year. They are completely incapable of running any country, never mind this one.

I don't think the setup costs were excessive. What will be a problem in the future is that it is yet another SIPTU controlled monopoly, so just like the ESB we will end up with the highest paid workers in the world when they threaten strike. I'd have preferred to see a private operator being put in charge, overseen by the regulator (e.g. the LUAS model). Any funny business and you give the contract to operate Irish Water to someone else.

Now you have it!!;)

I honestly believe if we gave this government, or any other of the eejits that are snapping at their heels, 90% of our wages in tax, they would still come cap in hand every year. They are completely incapable of running any country, never mind this one.
    Politicians never turn down extra money, they love spending it. "Free" this and "free" that, and someone always has to pay for it. We're already being spoonfed information about tax cuts in the budget, as if we should be grateful to the government for giving us back some of the money we've worked for and they've taken off of us - and people fall for it every time.

Well why keep coming back to the people for more money if you can't keep a lid on your spending

Tell it to SIPTU/ICTU.

the fact is, the government had a bit of a debt issue.

It had to be dealt with & part of that was through raising revenue & IW was part of that.

Like it or not, it had to happen.
    The debt crisis could not be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Now you have it!!;)

It was probably a bad idea to let the private operator in on the Luas, tbf, because anybody who uses it now understands how well this stuff actually can be done. Given the choice between Luas and Dublin Bus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is good to see people are finally paying for water and sewage treatment.
    It will stop needless waste of water.

I have to use a private well and septic tank, it costs money, and for those who say they already paid for their water through taxation, well people with a private well and septic tanks never got tax refunds for the cost of running and maintaining them.

We will now have a more equal society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Listening with bemusement to a so called "left winger" on radio 1 taking about mass protests and "defeating the charge" etc. Presenter asked a great question regarding the small number of people being led up the garden path to debt:

"When these people have to pay extra charges should they come to you?"

No answer of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah here. Where did I say I was complaining about water charges?

Here?
    I live on my own and am hardly ever home, and am very water-conscious anyway, always have been - I'm going to get sooo done it's not funny mad.png

Really pisses me off, but nothing I can do (that I can think of so far).
    I'm delighted with water charges, they should have been brought in years ago. (Well, maybe not delighted, exactly, but I welcome them.)

What I am grumbling mildly about is the fact that due to not having a meter fitted (yet, I live in hope), I'll be stuck paying an assessed average when I'd bet my next week's wages that if I was billed for actual usage it'd be a fraction of that.

What have my UPC and TV licence got to do with the price of cabbages :confused:

You didn't mention the lack of metering in the previous post, apologies if you mentioned it earlier.
    In your post your reasons for mild grumbling were that you live alone and were hardly ever at home.

Both of which would mean that you're also getting bad value for your UPC and TV licence compared to a family of 8 who are couch potatos.
    But most of us willingly pay our UPC and TV licence which are (much) more expensive than the water charges without so much as a mini grumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

josip wrote: »
    Here?

You didn't mention the lack of metering in the previous post, apologies if you mentioned it earlier.
    In your post your reasons for mild grumbling were that you live alone and were hardly ever at home.

Both of which would mean that you're also getting bad value for your UPC and TV licence compared to a family of 8 who are couch potatoes.
    But most of us willingly pay our UPC and TV licence which are (much) more expensive than the water charges without so much as a mini grumble.

I didn't realise our UPC was metred :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is good to see people are finally paying for water and sewage treatment.
    It will stop needless waste of water.

I have to use a private well and septic tank, it costs money, and for those who say they already paid for their water through taxation, well people with a private well and septic tanks never got tax refunds for the cost of running and maintaining them.

We will now have a more equal society.

What might have stopped needlessly wasted water would have been if they'd spent some of that 50 million looking into the massive percentage of our treated supply pouring into the ground before it ever gets to the household at all.

And given they aren't terribly interested in people complaining about non-potable supplies, we can safely conclude that there is absolutely no correlation between water wastage or quality and the money to be billed. It's effectively a poll tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is no such thing as "free" water. we never had "free" water. we payed for it via income tax, but it was free at the point of use which is important that it should be rather then giving employment to cronies or a job for a DOB company. water charges are another tax. they are not about conservation of water, anyone who thinks it is is very very delusianel. if one wants to pay up fine. if one doesn't fair play to them

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

What might have stopped needlessly wasted water would have been if they'd spent some of that 50 million looking into the massive percentage of our treated supply pouring into the ground before it ever gets to the household at all.

And given they aren't terribly interested in people complaining about non-potable supplies, we can safely conclude that there is absolutely no correlation between water wastage or quality and the money to be billed. It's effectively a poll tax.

When that happens (leaks) with my water I have to fix it myself, the state doesn't pay me the cost to fix it.
    People should pay for their water and get the water leaks and undrinkable water in other areas fixed.

I am delighted that everyone is on the same page paying for water, rather than the stupid argument we already pay for it.
    As I said, people who have been paying for the cost of their water supply never got tax refunds.

there is no such thing as "free" water. we never had "free" water. we payed for it via income tax, but it was free at the point of use which is important that it should be rather then giving employment to cronies or a job for a DOB company. water charges are another tax. they are not about conservation of water, anyone who thinks it is is very very delusianel. if one wants to pay up fine. if one doesn't fair play to them

No you didn't pay for it via income tax.

I pay income tax and never got a refund for the cost of supplying my own water and sewage facilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

RobertKK wrote: »
    No you didn't pay for it via income tax.

I pay income tax and never got a refund for the cost of supplying my own water and sewage facilities.

Do you live out in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I've suggested to all my female Facebook friends that we shower together from tomorrow onwards so we can save water. So far none of them seem to want to go along with it. Must be nice for some people to have the money to splash out on water like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement