Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visonic vs. HKC - Stability?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Without starting a flame war, what are the experts' considered opinions?

mod edit, I had to remove your text as you did indeed start a flame war unfortunately

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

<mod edit, comment removed adds nothing to the desired spirit of the forum>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have used both systems. I have used the older Visonic systems and the newer two way ones. Do you know which system you were being advised about?

<mod edit, comment removed >
    I am not an electrician or a DIY merchant either. I use HKC sensors and to be honest in terms of reliability I have had very few issues with the wire free sensors.

What wire free devices where they planning to use with the Siemens system?

Here is another installers comparisons of the two types of sensors.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80745992&postcount=9

<mod edit, comment removed >

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Visonic sensors would be inferior in quality and reliability than HKC IMO.

I have installed a hell of a lot HKC and have had very little problems with their gear and little or no call backs either.

In fairness I haven't installed all that much Visonic but I have had few more problems with them than I should have.

Yes, HKC gear is over priced but it will remain so until there is some real competition in the market.

• Advertisement

<mod edit, comment removed adds nothing to the forum>

Seq uence wrote: »
    To just make a statement on a public forum that a product or brand is inferior without any back up to that statement is a very unfair statement in my opinion.

I would also agree with his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If i may put in my oar. As some of you know i am no spring chicken and have been around a while.
    A few years ago a few of my potential customers requested wireless systems. At the time HKC, Aritech or Europlex/ Siemens did not have a suitable product.
    Having spoken with a few suppliers I discovered Visonic, they were signing it's praises so I went ahead specified it and subsequently installed 3 of them.
    Before that the only wireless experience I had was with the Scantronic and Linear wireless components, but from a system point of view I did a few Menvier wireless installs a long time ago.
    So we installed the Visonic stuff, granted the terminology was different but all went well. I did however find that their range reflects more of what I would expect in a typical UK type system. Also what I felt annoying was different batteries in Bell boxes, contacts and beams.
    Out of those 3 installs we had 2 faulty beams, they absolutely ate battery power and were acknowledged by Visonic as been so.
    I felt at the time that wireless stuff was not quite perfected so we kept going with the wired stuff.

Eventually HKC released their gear, I tried it and I was impressed. So much so I made a decision not to use any more wired gear unless I have too.
    I find with HKC, programming is simple, batteries are universal on each unit, if i have a large double opening window I can fit a HKC wireless shock sensor with reed to one opening, then fish a cable across to the other opening and fit a wired unit there, I can then actually wire that other sensor into the wireless one. This I think is very useful.
    I find also that there is no longer a compromise between a wired system and a HKC Wireless one.
    Risco equipment does look great, but there again I cannot wire into their wireless units so I find I am compromising.
    Obviously on all the above I am referring to domestic systems.

Just to note, I spoke to one of the lads in my suppliers a while ago and he told me that they get back a good bit more Visonic stuff than any thing else.

• Advertisement

I take what suppliers say to me with a very small grain of salt. Had one the other day claiming the HKC app was the top app in the play store. At the moment its showing around 100 downloads.

Each to their own but I'd have no reason not to believe this lad.

mod Edit, content removed

Each to their own indeed Fred. I would not have any reason to disbelieve my lad either. However it is a nice feature the way the play stor tells you how many downloads any given app has.

Each to their own indeed Fred. Mod Edit content removed

I welcome you here, no problems there, we have a private forum also, you might be interested in coming in there, all you need is to be a licensed installer, get onto a Mod they will sort you.
    Well as far as i am concerned HKC make top of the range gear, it is excellent quality and they have a no quibble returns policy. My only gripe with them always had been that they made their stuff too easy so anyone who could read and turn a screwdriver could install one of their systems. This I have noticed has somewhat changed lately.
    Their tech support is second to none, they are the only company i know of where i can get and have gotten tech assistance as late as 8:30 at night.
    So does that make me part of the HKC band.....perhaps, but i have no reason at all to knock them.
    You mention they lied, could you expand on that please?

mod Edit invite removed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Have to say HKCs wireless path is second to none.. with that a wireless output card would be extreamly handy ;)
    visonics system is good too but ive never had an RF HKC PIR cause a jam detection on a bad power up. Welcome to Boards Sequence !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok guys I think we are now comparing products, its a real pity by the way that products can't be compared here like they are everywhere else on boards, apart from the soccer forums such silly rules on a discussion forum don't really apply

I can't see why users cant just compare the features of a panel without people taking it personally or as an attack on their intellect.

In a different universe there is a forum where Joe Soaps can ask a question about comparing an intruder alarm without having to endure a barney driven by installers and suppliers, but that can't happen on Boards.ie for some reason.

I recently had a thread about a car for my wife, we freely discussed different models and the pros and cons. After we made the decisions I went back and thanked the users on the motors forum for their help.

That is where we need to be here. It's not a competition IMHO there is no need to be the last one to post on every thread and people should not have to leave the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement