Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can't get an Iphone :-( Any ideas ?

• 30-09-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I ordered an Iphone 6 64gb from the Irish Apple Store online on Thursday night.

As of today, it's still sitting at "Processing Items" with a delivery date of mod October.

I've checked the Belfast store to see if I can reserve one but they seem to be out of stock of almost all models.

I don't need a plan as I have an O2 sim from work. I just need the phone.

Been on the Samsung S4 for about 3 months now and absolutley hate every second of using it. (Should never have sold my 5s !!)

Anyway, do any of the Irish Mobile Providers sell the Iphone 6 as a Pre Pay phone and do any have them in stock ?

I was thinking I can just get a prepay sim with the phone, throw it away and I have an Iphone in my hand.

Failing that, i'll suppose i'll just have to put up with android for another couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Swanner wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered an Iphone 6 64gb from the Irish Apple Store online on Thursday night.

As of today, it's still sitting at "Processing Items" with a delivery date of mod October.

I've checked the Belfast store to see if I can reserve one but they seem to be out of stock of almost all models.

I don't need a plan as I have an O2 sim from work. I just need the phone.

Been on the Samsung S4 for about 3 months now and absolutley hate every second of using it. (Should never have sold my 5s !!)

Anyway, do any of the Irish Mobile Providers sell the Iphone 6 as a Pre Pay phone and do any have them in stock ?

I was thinking I can just get a prepay sim with the phone, throw it away and I have an Iphone in my hand.

Failing that, i'll suppose i'll just have to put up with android for another couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Prepay phones are locked to the network too. They normally want €130-€150 credit paid over first, and only after 6 months. So, unless O2 have them, you're SOL......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Stick with the Apple order. That's only 2 weeks at worst but it'll prob be sooner.

If you go pre pay your only option would be O2 as you have an O2 sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Ah ok. Thanks.

I wondered if there was a catch with prepay. Should have known. There always is.

Suppose i'll just have to suck it up and wait. Just thought that by ordering on Thursday night after midnight i'd have it this week but looks like i'll be waiting another couple of weeks at least. Suppose anything sooner will be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hang in there buddy. Sounds tough. We're all with you.

:(

Thanks man...

Had Iphones since the 3 but when work decided to shift from Blackberry to Samsung I thought i'd sell my 5s and give android a go.

Having been on both sides now there's just no comparison. I'd equate it to going from a brand new Bentley to a 15 year old Lada.

Never ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You'll have to wait like the rest of us ...

And next time if you want it early, pre-order on the UK online Apple Store and have it forwarded to you using parcelmotel.

Yeah. I'll do that next time.

I see Belfast have them back in stock now but I can only get a collection time for today between 12 and 1.

Will try again tomorrow and head up tomorrow afternoon if they still have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

They update the stock levels on the reserve page every night at 00.05am be quick as they go quick. You should pick one up in Belfast easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just wait. It still will be a better phone in 2 weeks time.

Would a couple of weeks make that much difference to build quality ? I would have thought the phone I eventually get will have already been manufactured by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Just wait. It still will be a better phone in 2 weeks time.
    Would a couple of weeks make that much difference to build quality ? I would have thought the phone I eventually get will have already been manufactured by now.

I think your leg may be being pulled there Swanner ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I meant the phone will be worth the wait compare to whatever he's using now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Thanks man...

Had Iphones since the 3 but when work decided to shift from Blackberry to Samsung I thought i'd sell my 5s and give android a go.

Having been on both sides now there's just no comparison. I'd equate it to going from a brand new Bentley to a 15 year old Lada.

Never ever again.

This must be a joke.

Performance wise, the S4 should be running rings around your old apple phone.
    It may not "look as pretty", but it should perform a hell of a lot better.

Heres hoping you get your order soon either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Join the queue. :rolleyes:

I've bought PAYG iPhone's through Carphone Warehouse (locked) before, not sure if they still sell that way though.

I meant the phone will be worth the wait compare to whatever he's using now.

Apologies. I miss read the post. Hadn't noticed the "still".
    RossieMan wrote: »
    This must be a joke.

Performance wise, the S4 should be running rings around your old apple phone.

It may not "look as pretty", but it should perform a hell of a lot better.

Compared to the 5s it's rubbish. To be fair, the hardware is ok, aside from the battery, but in terms of overall user experience, Android takes an ok piece of kit and turns it into an expensive door stop. I'll never touch android again.
    Join the queue. :rolleyes:

I've bought PAYG iPhone's through Carphone Warehouse (locked) before, not sure if they still sell that way though.

Tried them yesterday but they're bill pay only.

I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks extra. Just thought if there was a workaround i'd try it. Will try Belfast in the mean time but failing that i'll si tight. Should have learned the last time, sold my 4s and had to wait 2 weeks for a 5s. Will be better prepared next time !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The Belfast store seems to restock fairly quickly - when I checked this morning all 16gb models were in stock and they seem to have 64gb fairly often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Were you on stock rom? could be the issue.

I think its just a matter of personal taste. For me, the iphone range is a bunch of overpriced phones that do look very pretty, but have serious performance issues with multitasking.

Their design can't be beat, well apart from the 6plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think its just a matter of personal taste. For me, the iphone range is a bunch of overpriced phones that do look very pretty, but have serious performance issues with multitasking.

And for me, Android devices are ugly and cheaply built devices with overly complex and slow, buggy software.

But let's not turn this thread into one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Their design can't be beat, well apart from the 6plus.

I always wondered, what's the justification for the iphone's hefty price tag? Is it simply because Apple can get away with it or is there some super expensive piece of technology in there?

I've always used Androids myself and have found them more than capable. Actually I'm using a 16GB Moto G at the moment (Paid about €150 for an unlocked version) and I can't say there's been anything I've thrown at it game wise which has refused to run. Everything has been nice and smooth. From the software running to the interface itself. 5 inch screen too.

Is it just to say you have the latest iphone or is there actually a logical argument for paying so much for one?

Generally curious by the way, not trying to troll :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    I always wondered, what's the justification for the iphone's hefty price tag? Is it simply because Apple can get away with it or is there some super expensive piece of technology in there?

Is it just to say you have the latest iphone or is there actually a logical argument for paying so much for one?

As an android user, why would you care ?

I've no interest in debating the merits of IOS / Apple v's Android / Samsung....

I've used both and my preference is for IOS.

Fact is, I choose to spend my money on apple because I love the product.

How others spend theirs is for them to decide. I couldn't care less.

Things are only worth what people are prepared to pay and given the interest and demand for the Iphone 6 I would say they have it priced correctly.

They are in the business of making money after all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just asked a simple question, no need to get defensive.

Of course you can choose to spend your money on whatever you want. I was just interested in knowing the consumer justification for spending 2-3 times the price of a competitors product.

I've liked some designs of specific products myself, but when the price of them starts getting into multiples of competators products for something that's not really far removed performance wise, I'd usually switch.

Anyway, proably not the thread for it, apologies OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Actually I'm using a 16GB Moto G at the moment (Paid about €150 for an unlocked version) and I can't say there's been anything I've thrown at it game wise which has refused to run. Everything has been nice and smooth. From the software running to the interface itself. 5 inch screen too.

I used the OnePlus One for 7 weeks and the Moto G 1st Gen for a week. Much preferred the Moto G! The phone is finished really well (hardware and software) with my only gripe being the camera. Still great for 150 euro! Really opened my eyes to Android though. I respect it as a proving ground for new ideas. Devs can gamble with Android in a way they can't with iOS.

There is a certain X factor with the iPhone though. People arguing over the specs of Mhz and pixels and RAM etc just don't get it. The iPhone feels faster and slicker than the OnePlus One. It's generally a more lovely phone. It's user experience at the end of the day. I also don't understand the brand thing. I keep my phone in a case with the logo covered. There is synergy from my friends/parents having an iPhone (facetime is way better than skype), me having an Apple TV, iPad, Macbook... Because the stuff just all works in tandem. Hate the one-up-man-ship around phones. Find the one you like, enjoy it!

If I came across as defensive my apologies.

To be fair, would you not find it a little questionable that someone on an Apple forum would ask very basic technical questions that are easily answered by a 2 min google search, subtly presented in a way that suggests Apple is an over priced and inferior product while claiming not to troll.

I just don't get the numerous heated debates regarding the merits of Apple v's the rest of the market. Why does Apple's success piss every non Apple user off to the extent that it does ? It's just a personal choice at the end of the day.

Maybe some day you'll all see the light but failing that, I wish you all nothing but joy and trouble free surfing with Android :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'll never touch android again.
    *Android takes a breath of relief*

Master of the Universe

If I came across as defensive my apologies.

To be fair, would you not find it a little questionable that someone on an Apple forum would ask very basic technical questions that are easily answered by a 2 min google search, subtly presented in a way that suggests Apple is an over priced and inferior product while claiming not to troll.

No worries, in my defense, I navigated to the thread from the boards.ie front page. Didn't even notice it was in the Apple forum.
    I just don't get the numerous heated debates regarding the merits of Apple v's the rest of the market. Why does Apple's success piss every non Apple user off to the extent that it does ? It's just a personal choice at the end of the day.

Maybe some day you'll all see the light but failing that, I wish you all nothing but joy and trouble free surfing with Android :)

I've no gripes with Apple making money at all, it's a business as you said. And I can understand folks paying more when they like a product and are used to the interface.

It's just that iphones are so just so much more expensive than Android phones, to a mind boggling extent. I have a hard time understanding it when it seems to just be the user interface that people prefer. Sure, it might be better, but €500+ better? Seems like an incredibly over the top premium.

Obviously you're free to pay what you want, I just can't help but see Apple top executives laughing all the way to the bank with bags of cash.

Anyway, I'll STFU now, good luck getting your phone :)

No worries, in my defense, I navigated to the thread from the boards.ie front page. Didn't even notice it was in the Apple forum.

Fair enough.....I think we've all done that at one time or another :)

I've no gripes with Apple making money at all, it's a business as you said. And I can understand folks paying more when they like a product and are used to the interface.

It's just that iphones are so just so much more expensive than Android phones, to a mind boggling extent. I have a hard time understanding it when it seems to just be the user interface that people prefer. Sure, it might be better, but €500+ better? Seems like an incredibly over the top premium.

It's the design and the interface combined with a level of brand loyalty that no other manufacturer has managed to achieve.

No brand can maintain that loyalty with an inferior product.

Maybe this is why Apple users attract such ire from non apple users with claims of us wanting to be "seen" with the latest Apple device. The more you charge, the more the product is perceived in this way.

BMW drivers are often treated with the same contempt.

I just don't get it myself. If a product is worth the money, i'll buy it. If it's not, i'll find a cheaper alternative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Galaxy S5 - the android phone usually compared to the iPhone - is only €49 less expensive from Vodafone on the same tariff than the 6 I just got. The SIM free version is about €100 less expensive; €599 compared to €699.

So the prices aren't really as different as people perceive. Sure, you can any get any number of lessor android phones on the cheap, but you're not really comparing apples with apples then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This article sums up my whole problem with the constant Android comparisons:
    Look, all you need to do is get an Android phone from HTC for build quality. Then get an Android phone from Sony because their cameras are so good. Then get a Galaxy Note from Samsung for the largest screen. Then get a Nexus from Google to get a decent software experience. Finally, get a phone from Hauwei because they’re cheap. Then mash them all together and you’ve got one phone that’s better than the iPhone!

That’ll work, right? Well, unless you mash them all together and get the worst of each one. Just mash carefully.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2687069/unfair-comparisons-stacking-the-iphone-against-every-android-phone-feature.html

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

I had an interview with vodafone there yesterday and I was told that the PAYG model would only be released around November and they only have the bill pay version available now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Obviously you're free to pay what you want, I just can't help but see Apple top executives laughing all the way to the bank with bags of cash.

Anyway, I'll STFU now, good luck getting your phone :)

I think you have your figures mixed up.
    Go compare the prices of the Galaxy S5 against the iPhone 6. Then you have a comparison.

Some people don't want to root phones, change OS or anything like that. Plus you get the customer service of apple which is second to none of a problem arises.

Advertisement