Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilary Quinlan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Jobs for the boys, yet again. The attitude of entitlement stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

unfortunately for the voter it doesn't seem you make any difference who you vote for ! its just jobs for the boys mentality again !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise67 wrote: »
    unfortunately for the voter it doesn't seem you make any difference who you vote for ! its just jobs for the boys mentality again !

It's not confined to politics, it's how business is done in many walks of life in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

If you heard of a job going where you worked and had a kid at home not working, would you try get him the job?
    It's how we all work get over it.
    Also from Paudie Coffey's point of view I would rather a known and trusted person listening to my phone conversations in the back of the car than a stranger who could have any political or otherwise agenda!

I also note that Labour appointed three members to the board of UCD in recent years, and a Labour counciller has recently been appointed to the board of the Irish Aviation Authority.

Sinn Fein have nominated a number of members to the boards of All Ireland Implementation bodies under the Good Friday Agreement. Their recent MEP Lynn Boylan was on the board of Safefood despite apparently having no qualifications or background relevant to food safety issues.

I suppose you will always have a certain amount of crossover as people who are interested in politics and public life will always be drawn to both the parties and these board positions.

In relation to is given the drivers job - normally I thought they were ex-Gardai. I don't know how the process works, but I assume you can give the job to anyone you want in the same way that you would appoint constituency staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

It's time ALL jobs paid out of taxpayers' money were recruited for by independent recruiters. I'm SICK to death of this 'jobs for the boys' mentality.

Supervisory roles for TUS schemes, CE Schemes etc... ALL need to be outsourced so that the best person for the job gets it.

Wonder why Hilary Quinlan couldn't have been an internship driver? After all, it supposed to be a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

I've no huge problem with him getting the driving gig but he should have stepped down from the board of IW (should have done this when he lost his seat really).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

He has now stepped down from IW

KevIRL wrote: »
    He has now stepped down from IW
    Great to hear.

Wonder if that job will be posted on fas.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Ireland can be so un-meritocratic sometimes compared to other western countries.

• Advertisement

All such future posts will be publicly advertised on www.stateboards.ie

hardybuck wrote: »
    All such future posts will be publicly advertised on www.stateboards.ie
    Advertsing is one thing.

Selection is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

jesus h christ whats the problem with driving himself

its engrained in politics this culture of cronyism, it stinks to high heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    If you heard of a job going where you worked and had a kid at home not working, would you try get him the job?
    It's how we all work get over it.
    Also from Paudie Coffey's point of view I would rather a known and trusted person listening to my phone conversations in the back of the car than a stranger who could have any political or otherwise agenda!

No excuse for it. Ever. Doesn't matter who it is or who's in power. Utter disgrace really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What's normal in the private sector isn't accepted in the public sector. Promotion from within in the HSE sparked outrage. Lots of private companies promote from within in the majority of cases. A post comes up and a colleague or senior staff member puts forward a candidate for the roll. You own a business and a friend of yours is in need of a job, so you give him a post. But not in the public sector.

The issue here mainly stems from who he hired, rather than hiring a driver in the first place. For a Minister within the Department of Environment to hire someone from within a role that is under the remit of his department is a conflict of interest and was inappropriate and poorly thought out. Ill-judged.

Hilary Quinlan wasn't flavour of the month in Waterford purely because of his roll in Irish Water to begin with. The media storm is focusing on this, not because he has a driver which isn't an issue. I also don't have any problem with a Minister hiring a close friend for such a position - of course he is going to want someone he knows and trusts with him while on official department business and discussing sensitive matters on the phone or having sensitive state documents in his company instead of a random individual who he doesn't know.

Anyway, Quinlan has resigned from Irish Water so will be purely the driver for Paudie now.

difference between private & public is the taxpayer doesn't pay your wages in the private sector , therefore standards should be higher and more transparent ! FG could could teach FF a thing or two about cronyism and lack of ethics !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I also don't have any problem with a Minister hiring a close friend for such a position - of course he is going to want someone he knows and trusts with him while on official department business and discussing sensitive matters on the phone or having sensitive state documents in his company instead of a random individual who he doesn't know.

Anyway, Quinlan has resigned from Irish Water so will be purely the driver for Paudie now.[/quote]

Sully would you have said the same if the shoe was on the FF foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

"Anyway, Quinlan has resigned from Irish Water so will be purely the driver for Paudie now."

That's grand so. Nothing to see here.

ah its refreshing nothing like a bit of impartiality !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

difference between private & public is the taxpayer doesn't pay your wages in the private sector , therefore standards should be higher and more transparent ! FG could could teach FF a thing or two about cronyism and lack of ethics !

Well you see it's that very attitude that turns so many people off politics and it's why you don't see the call for change taken up by people. Nor do serious business people generally get into politics. The private sector is often a good example how to run an organisation.
    Sully would you have said the same if the shoe was on the FF foot?

Yeah, there has been lots of bits and bobs that opposition parties have either done in opposition or in government that caused fury but I didn't see much of an issue with it.

Matters like state boards and some internal positions should go out to the public and we shouldn't see the continuation of appointing friends and colleagues to state boards without them going through an application process like everyone else and proving they have the ability, expertise and knowledge to do what there being appointed at.
    ah its refreshing nothing like a bit of impartiality !

Picking and choosing what suits to throw out the impartiality line doesn't give your point any justice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

in fairness Paudie would need a driver down from Dublin after all the feeding and watering he gets up in the dail bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Surely he needs a psv or spsv licence to operate in this job???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

"Ah Sully, Sully, Sully..*shakes head*..what are we going to do with you at all"

I would like to see a full list of all the individuals who sit on the various state boards, and their political background, if any.

All of the main political parties will have involvement in this, obviously those who are in Government have far more capacity to do so.

Regarding staff who are chosen as constituency staff, civilian drivers etc., I've no real interest in that at all. Most politicans rely on their friends and family to work the unsociable hours that are involved in such roles.

Regarding why Ministers have drivers, traditionally they were provided with Ministerial cars (normally Mercedes) and a Garda driver. Moreover, all ex-Taoiseagh used to have access to a Garda driver and car 24/7 for the rest of their lives. This was partly for security reasons - particularly when the IRA were on the rampage.

The current Government did away with the above for everyone except the Taoiseach, Tanaiste, Minister for Justice and the President, again largely for security reasons. While a Minister can hire a driver, he/she must use their own car. This has saved the taxpayer approx. €2 million per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

So, a Director of Irish Water, which comes under the remit of the Department of the Environment, was acting as a chauffeur for the Junior Minister in that Department...and people try to somehow 'justify' it???

The only thing I can't understand is how Paudie Coffey hasn't resigned, given that he hired said ex-Director!

It is really worrying that neither Coffey nor Quinlan realised that such a blatant conflict of interest existed, or if they did, they just ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

hardybuck wrote: »
    Regarding why Ministers have drivers, traditionally they were provided with Ministerial cars (normally Mercedes) and a Garda driver. Moreover, all ex-Taoiseagh used to have access to a Garda driver and car 24/7 for the rest of their lives. This was partly for security reasons - particularly when the IRA were on the rampage.
    Is this another random FGer thinking that their representatives were members of the British government? :) The real reason why ministers had drivers was because more than a few of them were borderline (and in some cases not so borderline) alcoholics. Others, the gombeen class, thought it made them look important.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jmcc wrote: »
    Is this another random FGer thinking that their representatives were members of the British government? :) The real reason why ministers had drivers was because more than a few of them were borderline (and in some cases not so borderline) alcoholics. Others, the gombeen class, thought it made them look important.

Regards...jmcc

Even if they aren't borderline, they can't make use of the work bar if they have to drive themselves.

How a workplace is allowed to have a bar in it is beyond me, it should be shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Well you see it's that very attitude that turns so many people off politics and it's why you don't see the call for change taken up by people. Nor do serious business people generally get into politics.
    Well it is so much cheaper to buy a corrupt politician.
    Matters like state boards and some internal positions should go out to the public and we shouldn't see the continuation of appointing friends and colleagues to state boards without them going through an application process like everyone else and proving they have the ability, expertise and knowledge to do what there being appointed at.
    Seems that there's a story developing that Kenny appointed some FG hack from Castlebar to the board of Solas and said hack was a signatory on Kenny's nomination papers. Gombeens the lot of them! This is a damned good argument for term limits.

If Coffey can't see what he has done wrong, then he should not occupy the office.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

I don't get your comment about the British? The positions which have retained the Garda driver have largely done so for security purposes.

Advertisement