Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilary Quinlan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Picking and choosing what suits to throw out the impartiality line doesn't give your point any justice!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Benimar wrote: »
    So, a Director of Irish Water, which comes under the remit of the Department of the Environment, was acting as a chauffeur for the Junior Minister in that Department...and people try to somehow 'justify' it???

The only thing I can't understand is how Paudie Coffey hasn't resigned, given that he hired said ex-Director!

It is really worrying that neither Coffey nor Quinlan realised that such a blatant conflict of interest existed, or if they did, they just ignored it.

Quinlan should have resigned as a director when he lost his position as a counciller, as he was recommended for this position as being President of the City and County Councillers Association. When he was no longer a counciller he should have stepped down, which would have been the end of it.

For info, board positions normally require you to attend 10 meetings or so a year. Most people do them in addition to their normal job.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Even if they aren't borderline, they can't make use of the work bar if they have to drive themselves.

How a workplace is allowed to have a bar in it is beyond me, it should be shut down

I think 27 or so TDs will have access to a driver. There are 166 TDs and 59 senators who can use it plus their guests - I wonder how they get home?

Whether it should be left open or not? Up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Paudie and Hilary out Spinning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

hardybuck wrote: »
    Quinlan should have resigned as a director when he lost his position as a counciller, as he was recommended for this position as being President of the City and County Councillers Association. When he was no longer a counciller he should have stepped down, which would have been the end of it.

For info, board positions normally require you to attend 10 meetings or so a year. Most people do them in addition to their normal job.

Thats all fine and well but his position with Irish Water pre-dated his appointment as a driver. It was at that point the conflict arose, not when he became a Director.

Essentially, Coffey knew Quinlan was a Director of Irish Water when he hired him, so he should resign too.

• Advertisement

Thats all fine and well but his position with Irish Water pre-dated his appointment as a driver. It was at that point the conflict arose, not when he became a Director.

Essentially, Coffey knew Quinlan was a Director of Irish Water when he hired him, so he should resign too.

To be honest, I think it would be overkill. I think he made a mistake, but I don't think it's that serious as a sackable offence. People will get their chance to have their say in the election.

Ciara Conway didn't resign when when she decided to appear on a midday chatshow for two days instead of attending work.

John Deasy didn't resign when he was caught smoking in a bar after the smoking ban.

Is Halligan scandal free?

Being in public life really does put everything you do under the microscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Is Halligan scandal free?

Aside from that moustache I think so yeah.

Coffey should never have been allowed appoint one of his cronies to the position of driver, the position should have been advertised and filled like any other job in the civil service. All this blather about him needing someone who can keep a secret is complete hogwash, an NDA can take care of that, pretty much everyone in the public service needs to sign confidentiality agreements of one sort or another.

It's jobs for the boys and FG have shown themselves to be as shameless as FF at doing it. What makes it even more irksome is all the talk of "a new form of politics" when they took office, it's like they slipped right into FF's old mohair suits.

Aside from that moustache I think so yeah.

Coffey should never have been allowed appoint one of his cronies to the position of driver, the position should have been advertised and filled like any other job in the civil service. All this blather about him needing someone who can keep a secret is complete hogwash, an NDA can take care of that, pretty much everyone in the public service needs to sign confidentiality agreements of one sort or another.

It's jobs for the boys and FG have shown themselves to be as shameless as FF at doing it. What makes it even more irksome is all the talk of "a new form of politics" when they took office, it's like they slipped right into FF's old mohair suits.

It isn't a Civil Service position though. Labour and whoever else who appoints a driver goes about the process in the same fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't get your comment about the British?
    Well PIRA were going around killing British politicians rather than Irish politicians. This is a matter of history. The whole idea of politicians being entitled to a car and a driver originates from a time when cars were relatively (compared to today) rare and having a car and driver was generally something restricted to the rich. The glorified county councillors elected to the Dail wanted their egos stroked.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, a Director of Irish Water, which comes under the remit of the Department of the Environment, was acting as a chauffeur for the Junior Minister in that Department...and people try to somehow 'justify' it???

The only thing I can't understand is how Paudie Coffey hasn't resigned, given that he hired said ex-Director!

It is really worrying that neither Coffey nor Quinlan realised that such a blatant conflict of interest existed, or if they did, they just ignored it.

It's certainly far from a sackable offence but hiring the Director of Irish Water for the driver of a Junior Minister of the Dept of Environment was ill-judged and highly inappropriate. There is no justifying it, close friend or not. The response to the whole affair in the immediate aftermath was badly handled.

Thankfully, the conflict of interest is no more and Paudie can have his driver without issue.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Even if they aren't borderline, they can't make use of the work bar if they have to drive themselves.

How a workplace is allowed to have a bar in it is beyond me, it should be shut down

My first job in Dublin was with a company that had a couple of beers on taps. I didn't work out of their head office so I don't know when it was allowed be used. A good friend of mine in Canada, similar situation for him and he was amazed by it. Not sure where else uses it.

I remember saying on here that both the public and private sector have jobs where you get paid mileage plus additional expenses covered when using their personal car and people laughed saying I was lying. Some provide a car for you. But many think this shouldn't be allowed in the public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

I remember saying on here that both the public and private sector have jobs where you get paid mileage plus additional expenses covered when using their personal car and people laughed saying I was lying. Some provide a car for you. But many think this shouldn't be allowed in the public sector.

Providing a car and paying fuel costs is a different matter to paying a guy 665 quid every week for working week on/week off to transport a glorified ribbon cutter around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eiresandra wrote: »
    Providing a car and paying fuel costs is a different matter to paying a guy 665 quid every week for working week on/week off to transport a glorified ribbon cutter around.

Can't help but feel its overpaid tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My first job in Dublin was with a company that had a couple of beers on taps. I didn't work out of their head office so I don't know when it was allowed be used. A good friend of mine in Canada, similar situation for him and he was amazed by it. Not sure where else uses it.

Very much an exception to the rule, the vast majority of company's (big or small) don't allow alcohol

in addition what a private company allows its employee's to do is totally up to the owners of the company and/or its share holders.

TD's should never be drinking on the job, they represent us the tax payers and we don't want them drinking on the job.

Drinking and deciding goverment policy, debating important issues or voting on legislation simply don't mix!

Drink was likely very much a a factor in this farce

It isn't the first time TD's have been drinking or drunk during important goverment decisions. - http://www.thejournal.ie/dail-bar-drinking-tds-drunk-abortion-vote-989988-Jul2013/

Very simply, no pub should exist in the Dáil...much less open to 5am when important legislation is being passed thus allowing TD's to drink all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have a few paths need powerwashing and a Barna shed needs felt put on it, anyone have Hillary's number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

eiresandra wrote: »

The men who work 45 hours a week plus in all weathers to collect your wheelie bins do not earn that much regardless of what company they work for. I am sure any of them would have jumped at the chance to apply for the job along with all the other men & women who are out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Is he allowed to work on his week off
    or would he be then accused of double jobbing

Advertisement