Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Current best snow depths! Live in 4 and 3 is 30 minutes away

Snowing again suddenly my knee sucks a little but more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I'm not a big fan of off piste in the trees. I'm aware of the dangers including the one below but I really feel comfortable.

All I say is keep an eye on your mates

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/01/chilling-footage-snowboarder-buried-alive-deep-snow

I'm not a big fan of off piste in the trees. I'm aware of the dangers including the one below but I really feel comfortable.

All I say is keep an eye on your mates

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/01/chilling-footage-snowboarder-buried-alive-deep-snow

Tree wells are a North American issue, they are almost non existent in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »

Why is that? The amount of snow they get or just different type of terrain?

I'd say it's a scary feeling getting stuck in one, Id say most people aren't even aware they are a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Regardless of not having as wide a tree well issue as the US is no reason to not be aware of it nor to be aware of your mates particularly if messing off piste. Even on piste it's important. One of our party took a wrong turn the other week. Over 30 mins to regroup with all the lifts closing, his kids waiting and a long way from home.

jvan wrote: »
    Why is that? The amount of snow they get or just different type of terrain?

I'd say it's a scary feeling getting stuck in one, Id say most people aren't even aware they are a problem.

A variety of factors, a lot of European resorts are above the tree line so no trees no issue.

Where they do exist their shape and the general distance of the lowest branches from the snow pack/ ground is not optimum for the formation of tree wells. Also the snow! Totally different temp and snow types so it is less likely to occur in Europe.

The do exist in some resorts but they are very rare occurrence here in Europe small enough chance that you don't have to worry but in N. America it's an added incentive to ski trees better than you can

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Flights booked to Geneva for the 24th! Heading to Morzine to meet a group. I only know one of the guys in the group so I'm tagging along don't think that will be a problem. So looking for advise and tips for anyone that's been there before. The guys probably know everything as I think they have been there before but no harm getting a few tips from here!!

Wait 27 years to go skiing and then go twice in the space of a month this doesn't seem sustainable!!

Hey Fattes, you've made it on Twitter, your photo is famous.

jvan wrote: »
    Hey Fattes, you've made it on Twitter, your photo is famous.

Not the first or last time :) I have had stuff published in a few different ski mags and other publications too.

Conditions are pretty nice up too here it was closed for the top lifts today and probably tomorrow and Tuesday morning is meant to be blue bird and no wind! So it will be a belter

• Advertisement

G2DG wrote: »
    Flights booked to Geneva for the 24th! Heading to Morzine to meet a group. I only know one of the guys in the group so I'm tagging along don't think that will be a problem. So looking for advise and tips for anyone that's been there before. The guys probably know everything as I think they have been there before but no harm getting a few tips from here!!

Wait 27 years to go skiing and then go twice in the space of a month this doesn't seem sustainable!!

Myself and a couple of mates are heading to Morzine for te first time too that week, praying for lots of snow in the next 2 weeks. If not there will lots of 'tea' breaks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Mixed first day in tignes.. started snowing about 6am so was up for first lift but wind came in something serious.. Very little open until lunch.. skies partly cleared but wind was still up.. only about quarter of lifts open.. still found a few nice runs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Mixed first day in tignes.. started snowing about 6am so was up for first lift but wind came in something serious.. Very little open until lunch.. skies partly cleared but wind was still up.. only about quarter of lifts open.. still found a few nice runs..

Is that double M in the background? Love that run! There is a cafe just down from it where the buses pick up that does great banana milk shakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

For the morzine lads ,

At this rate make sure your pass covers Avoriaz, coverage is not good on the morzine les gets side of things at the moment.

If things get better. On the morzine side piste b home run is good craic, i am actually not a fan of the runs on the pleney side, you'll probably find yourself on the les get side quiet a but nice open blue runs in the rainfolly bowl and the runs down to the village . Mont Cherry is on the opposite side of les get which is really quiet and has some great runs. The bus is not that regular (once an hour around) from les get to morzine so don't get caught.

I actually don't know that much about the avoriaz runs so, but i am heading morzine again in 3 weeks regardless of conditions i intend to explore a lot more there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

lbj666 wrote: »
    For the morzine lads ,

At this rate make sure your pass covers Avoriaz, coverage is not good on the morzine les gets side of things at the moment.

If things get better. On the morzine side piste b home run is good craic, i am actually not a fan of the runs on the pleney side, you'll probably find yourself on the les get side quiet a but nice open blue runs in the rainfolly bowl and the runs down to the village . Mont Cherry is on the opposite side of les get which is really quiet and has some great runs. The bus is not that regular (once an hour around) from les get to morzine so don't get caught.

I actually don't know that much about the avoriaz runs so, but i am heading morzine again in 3 weeks regardless of conditions i intend to explore a lot more there.

Heading there for 2 weeks at the same time, the webcams tell a sorry tale so the avoriaz pass is booked.

Well finally have some good news will be back on my skis 2nd week of Feb and should be fully healed by early March!!! Time to start stroking the fat skis again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I did a season in Morzine a few years back, she's a good spot!

Les Gets is a nice way to spend a day, fun little park in Mont Cherry. Pleney is always busy with ski schools so never really went there.

When hitting the slopes from Morzine itself, I always drove/bused it to Les Prodaines - Super Morzine is a really slow way of getting some altitude - there are a few cruising blues there. The Gondola at Prodaines gets you above Avoriaz in two lifts - much better imo. then I mostly headed over towards Swizerland though The Stash. Chatel, the Happy and Hidden Valleys are nice at the top of Pre La Joux, head over to Les Crosets and tackle The Swiss Wall down the Swiss side of the Chavanette peak - mind you it is a steep unpisted black with big auld moguls. you have been warned. Great experience though looking back over it and getting the chair up.

If you head over to Switzerland give yourself enough time to get back on time as taxis are expensive - the lifts show the closing times so you figure it out when youre there.

I am always a fan of the home run from Avoriaz down to Les Prodaines and have a jar at the bottom.

Bar Robinsons or Robos is a Seasonaire favourite - try some of the local brew Mutzig, its lethal!

Auberge des terres Maudites - Chez Layan-ne is a great traditional restaurant on Route De La Manche - I would definitely recommend the chicken / frites with the best mushroom sauce I have ever tried. Fondue is solid too

http://www.ilmeteo.it/portale/meteo-breve-medio-termine

The Morzine is due some fresh don't panic

I've done the les gets and mont chery sides before but I fancy getting over to the Swiss runs this trip.
    Thanks for the tip on the prodaine, I had heard there was a quick way to the top but didn't know what it was.
    This week looks like it will bring better conditions, it has improved all over the area overnight.

Bw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Heading to L2A next week. Cannot wait! New snowboard to try out. Bindings due to be delivered either tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully I'll sneak up to Kiltiernan for a night or two before heading off so I can try out this board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Heading to L2A next week. Cannot wait! New snowboard to try out. Bindings due to be delivered either tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully I'll sneak up to Kiltiernan for a night or two before heading off so I can try out this board

You're going to use a new board on Kiltiernan? :eek:

cormee wrote: »

I was thinking that!!! Dendix and snowflex are not kind to petex, the base of your board, ever put a really low temp wax on it and don't scrape (-30 to -40)

Best advise use their equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I'm not that bothered using a new board in Kiltiernan - Up to this point I have been using an old Salomon Sanchez but I recently broke it off of the new rail there.

Since then I have been using my K2 Fastplant there and last Friday I tried out my new Volkl Squad Rocker (which is class!).. its there to be ridden!

Keep em well waxed though, maybe retro fit a candle on the nose of the board with melted wax in constant supply to the base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Got back from L2A on Saturday. Had a cracking week over there. There's only 1 run down to the village open and La Vallee Blanche is closed. Still loads of runs open though and they had a dump at the weekend. Great spot. We had some laugh watching people trying their tricks in the snow parks. :D

Ollie, unlike you and I not everyone has the access or ability to trash their kit in Dendix!

The scratches are not really the issue it's the railing in the Petex and edges that is non repairable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I was thinking that!!! Dendix and snowflex are not kind to petex, the base of your board, ever put a really low temp wax on it and don't scrape (-30 to -40)

Best advise use their equipment

Id rather not discover the bindings are loose half way down a mountain. I'd steer clear of the dendex, I just wanna get the feel of the board before hitting a mountain
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Got back from L2A on Saturday. Had a cracking week over there. There's only 1 run down to the village open and La Vallee Blanche is closed. Still loads of runs open though and they had a dump at the weekend. Great spot. We had some laugh watching people trying their tricks in the snow parks. :D
    I will more than likely be one of those idiots. I'm a trier who rarely succeeds!

Right, some formalities in preparation for my trip.

Insurance; I know there's a sticky on insurance on the main page but I thought I'd ask here too. I want something that will cover me if I do some off piste. Most policies cover you with a guide but does anyone know of a policy that will cover you without one?

New lid. I need a new top part for the noggin, any good recommendations. Budget is up to about €120.

Now, back to the squats and lunges :)

Bw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Right, some formalities in preparation for my trip.

Insurance; I know there's a sticky on insurance on the main page but I thought I'd ask here too. I want something that will cover me if I do some off piste. Most policies cover you with a guide but does anyone know of a policy that will cover you without one?

New lid. I need a new top part for the noggin, any good recommendations. Budget is up to about €120.

Now, back to the squats and lunges :)

Bw

Multitrip.com covers you off piste without a guide (when there are no warnings in place for that area).

Multitrip.com covers you off piste without a guide (when there are no warnings in place for that area).

That does look like a very good policy, the premier plus option seems like excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    That does look like a very good policy, the premier plus option seems like excellent value.

Thats who im using and my brother broke his leg 3 years ago in Austria while covered by them, they had him home in 24h

Advertisement