Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Im not..

But was last week!

2z5vfx2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

A big dump of snow forecast next week just in time for me heading out on the first for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    A big dump of snow forecast next week just in time for me heading out on the first for 2 weeks.

Looks like a great week of snow next week, finishing off with a dump at the weekend just in time for our group heading out next Sat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Heading on the 1st also, weather forecast makes beautiful reading.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Another high profile avalanche death in Chamonix, that makes the fourth person from the Chamonix whom even a casual observer like me is familiar with from blogs etc who has died in the last 6 months, really really sad and really really sobering in terms of the risks taken for granted in big mountain off piste skiing. Unacceptable risks imo, time people took a few steps back.

• Advertisement

Another high profile avalanche death in Chamonix, that makes the fourth person from the Chamonix scene whom even a casual observer like me is familiar with from blogs etc who has died in the last 6 months, really really sad and really really sobering in terms of the risks taken for granted in big mountain off piste skiing. Unacceptable risks imo, time people took a few steps back.

Good fcuking christ and as I post that I read on snowheads of a fifth death and of a lad I'm pretty sure is irish. Shocked. Rip. Everyone please be careful.

Nearly certain he's irish as remember seeing him being interviewed about trying to board a mountain in the himalaya. Jesus christ, it's never touched as close to home as that for me, rip and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

a148pro wrote: »
    Nearly certain he's irish as remember seeing him being interviewed about trying to board a mountain in the himalaya. Jesus christ, it's never touched as close to home as that for me, rip and condolences to his family.

Interview is somewhere on this page.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=116420#2664416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Just back from an off piste week in cham courmayer and verbier. So sad to hear this news . we heard the explosions of the avalanche that killed the slovenian skiier from grand montet. Thought it was the air cannon but alas no. Rip.

Our guide point blank shut down the idea of us doing vallee blanche on our day off even with another guide. Its never open or closed but it is deadly right now. And there was plenty of decent snow elsewhere.

It is such a dangerous passtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Dr Nic wrote: »
    It is such a dangerous passtime

Not really if you are sensible most of the time! Dave was one of those people that was always welcoming people in Chamonix and was generous to a fault a big loss to the ski community!

In happier news, I was home for 3 days but my flight back contained the Irish delegation to the European Youth Winter Olympics! The pride on my little face as two athletes I have coached since they were kids were heading off in all their team Ireland gear!

Dr Nic wrote: »
    we heard the explosions of the avalanche that killed the slovenian skiier from grand montet. Thought it was the air cannon but alas no.

What happened to him? Where in gm?

Also was that an organised trip or DIY?

Just for context, Chamonix normally has death rates, in the early 100's every season. A low death number would be 30-50 for a season! From a combination of factors, normally kept very quiet, not good for tourism

Aye but probably at least half of them would be climbers and alpinists and a few more base jumpers, parapenters etc

Either way it's an unacceptable death rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Fattes wrote: »
    Not really if you are sensible most of the time! Dave was one of those people that was always welcoming people in Chamonix and was generous to a fault a big loss to the ski community!

In happier news, I was home for 3 days but my flight back contained the Irish delegation to the European Youth Winter Olympics! The pride on my little face as two athletes I have coached since they were kids were heading off in all their team Ireland gear!

I think i met a few of that group yesterday on the dry slope in Belfast!
    Had all the Irish Ski gear on.
    All around 14 , one of the girls was amazing , as good as ive seen in person and she was really into it. If she keeps it up she will go on to bigger things.
    I was in awe of the shapes they can turn on the dendex, didnt think it would be possible to carve like that on plastic

KITZBUHEL today on ski Sunday :)

For all us beginners who dont like the feel of ice underfoot on the steeps , check these dudes out ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Ag91PxF.jpg

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    I think i met a few of that group yesterday on the dry slope in Belfast!
    Had all the Irish Ski gear on.
    All around 14 , one of the girls was amazing , as good as ive seen in person and she was really into it. If she keeps it up she will go on to bigger things.
    I was in awe of the shapes they can turn on the dendex, didnt think it would be possible to carve like that on plastic

14 is probably the Borufa kids, different event but same thing, have probably coached all them too! there is 14 kids going to that event to represent Ireland! Serious Dendix angles below!!!!

Photo is of Eoin Doyle credit to DCF photography (or as they are better known my other half! )

Photo is of Eoin Doyle credit to DCF photography (or as they are better known my other half! )

Yep , this girl the same , unreal!

did you see the photo of kitzbuhel yesterday? like someone hosed the slope with water and froze it :)

did you see the photo of kitzbuhel yesterday? like someone hosed the slope with water and froze it :)

All race pistes are like that, they use a system called a Piste injection bar to freeze the top layer, in an effort to maintain a consistent and fairer surface, sometimes like yesterday it looks worse than others we had a race last year where they were a little over enthusiastic with the injection! It sucked

• Advertisement

Well thats even more kudos to them , to be turning on that flat out and all finish so close to one another in time.
    Looking forward to watching it later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

We were there the before last. They were preparing it then and everyday it was getting more icy. We go most yrs and the ski school know us fairly well. The 2 eldest lads were doing racing lessons and got a run down the track with an instructor first thing in the morning. Feck they got up some speed.

dzer2 wrote: »
    We were there the before last. They were preparing it then and everyday it was getting more icy. We go most yrs and the ski school know us fairly well. The 2 eldest lads were doing racing lessons and got a run down the track with an instructor first thing in the morning. Feck they got up some speed.

Skied it the day after the race a few years back it's the only time they let punters run the streif top to bottom. You have to pay and have at least super g skis that they check for sharpness!!!

It's a mad race piste that one! It and lauberhorn are unique

Skied it the day after the race a few years back it's the only time they let punters run the streif top to bottom. You have to pay and have at least super g skis that they check for sharpness!!!

It's a mad race piste that one! It and lauberhorn are unique

did you go out the starting gate or just off the top of the hahnekem

dzer2 wrote: »
    did you go out the starting gate or just off the top of the hahnekem

Full course times run through the wand! 2009 breaks were applied before the Mausefalle!!

Spent a week drinking with the race director in a bar in Chmaonix and didn't realise who he was! Got me a run at the Khandahar downhill in Chamonix and Garmisch on race morning and on the Streiff

ripped the ass off my pants. would these be any good or too old and heavy?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BBZ7HN6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2QRJ5L8JDIGD5

Full course times run through the wand! 2009 breaks were applied before the Mausefalle!!

Spent a week drinking with the race director in a bar in Chmaonix and didn't realise who he was! Got me a run at the Khandahar downhill in Chamonix and Garmisch on race morning and on the Streiff

Hoffi was able to get them out the gate he was part of the Austrian set up awhile back. He knew everyone involved in Kitz.

We have has a touch if snow today :)

Ucpa off piste evasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

January has just been a month of clock watching for Mayrhofen. >:(

....11 days 14 hours to go.

tick tock tick tock tick tock