Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

I was about to suggest St Anton, but if you have a room in Chamonix for €230, would you not be better sticking with that? I think the snow is pretty good there at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

khc wrote: »
    I was about to suggest St Anton, but if you have a room in Chamonix for €230, would you not be better sticking with that? I think the snow is pretty good there at the moment

Have a room and transfer for 230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

dzer2 wrote: »
    Right lads put your heads together for this one.

Flying into Basel wednesday 5th march back home on Sunday From Basel

Need a cheap resort and handy way to get there

Can get to Chamonix and have room for 230 euro

Appreciate all ideas.

Train to Engelberg CHF 60 Francs, free room supermarket in village ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

https://befitapps.com/

stumbled across this , be of use for anyone wanting to do some ski fit exercises.
    I havent a clue what the names are so there is a video demonstrating each move , why you do it and what it helps.
    Free to sign up

Fattes wrote: »
    Train to Engelberg CHF 60 Francs, free room supermarket in village ;)

Cheers Fattes
    leave that with me til the morning

• Advertisement

Hi Fattes,

Looking at 3 day ski pass and ski hire
    Think the pass is 164 euro cant get a link to the ski hire shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

jvan wrote: »
    Just back from a week in Morzine, great week with super conditions. Knee deep powder and more in places. Still snowing there this morning I believe, anybody heading this weekend will have a great week.

Just back too. It was outrageous! One of our guys went the wrong way off piste and ended up crawling through powder up to his hips!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

maybe ot but the action is on this thread. Need a new helmet, outer shell has come detached from polystyrene.

Buy here in Dublin or go to resort?

Resort prices can be horrific I know sometimes, what do the wise people say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

G2DG wrote: »
    Just back too. It was outrageous! One of our guys went the wrong way off piste and ended up crawling through powder up to his hips!!

In Morzine now, the powder is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

maybe ot but the action is on this thread. Need a new helmet, outer shell has come detached from polystyrene.

TBH I find Irish prices horrific! I buy all my equipment in resort. Yes I get a discount, but even full whack is at least comparable to here, if not better. But of course it depends on where you're going, but maybe you could price local shops online first?

• Advertisement

Anyone any advice on the following,i want to work on technique this holiday and this is something ive found myself doing.

I lift the inner ski at the start of a turn , not much , just slightly , it sort of feels useless hanging there and feels better if i lift it slightly until the downhill ski starts turning.
    I dont do this all the time , just on occasion but i do notice it creeping in.

i cant get enough info on google , some seem to say its a stem turn which i dont think it is , its the inside ski im lifting and stem turn seems to be the outside ski.

i know thats a bit vague but if i can get a name for what im doing i can google it

Hawkwind I give you the Javelin turn.

Or you are just doing one leg turns like on this one from Friday, at 28 sec is just basic one legged skiing but allowing the ski to find the fall line before pressuring it through the turn!

dzer2 wrote: »
    Hi Fattes,

Looking at 3 day ski pass and ski hire
    Think the pass is 164 euro cant get a link to the ski hire shops.

Around CHF 110- 140 I think

Irish stores will generally come in cheaper than resort stores! That said they will be more expensive than larger outlets in bigger towns! Plus you always have a point of contact if you buy at home, you may never be back in the resort you purchase in

i dont thinks its the javellin turn , its the feeling of the inside ski not turning quick enough that causes me to lift it i think.
    In that clip he keeps the inside ski pointing downhill.
    Its hard to explain but my inside ski sort of feels a bit awkward like its not turning quick enough and might catch so it feels reassuring to lift it out of the way until im on the edge of the downhill ski

It could be more like your turn on the second clip but i wouldnt lift it so high or for so long. Its more of a reassurance that if i lift it for a second i can feel all my weight on the downhill ski and then i feel happier.

Maybe its nothing to worry about so much and i can even exaggerate it for practice.
    i got a sj4000 so im gonna try video some of my turns in a couple of weeks

Sorry I thought you were doing it intentionally for an exercise! Dam dyslexia!!! Depending on how you ski it could be posture (Angulation and inclination) or lack of it, or stance/movement on the ski not enough extension to release the turn. Probably the later, as you finish one turn make sure you release the skis by standing tall on them and allowing the to do what they are designed to do.

Modern skis are designed to do one thing, and you can test this when away! On a reasonably wide and easy red, traverse across the hill and then stand up tall, and wait, your skis will actually start to turn and find the bottom of the hill and stay there until you turn them, probably best not to wait to long!

If you video them I can have a look at them for you and let you know!

Sorry I thought you were doing it intentionally for an exercise! Dam dyslexia!!! Depending on how you ski it could be posture (Angulation and inclination) or lack of it, or stance/movement on the ski not enough extension to release the turn. Probably the later, as you finish one turn make sure you release the skis by standing tall on them and allowing the to do what they are designed to do.

Modern skis are designed to do one thing, and you can test this when away! On a reasonably wide and easy red, traverse across the hill and then stand up tall, and wait, your skis will actually start to turn and find the bottom of the hill and stay there until you turn them, probably best not to wait to long!

If you video them I can have a look at them for you and let you know!

I will :) im not afraid to stick a video up lol , im only a beginner/intermediate so wont take too much stick :)

Listening to darren turner it could be an exaggerated "two step"

suggesting im pushing off the inside ski to initiate the turn and that would explain the dopey feeling of the inside ski stuck behind.

Im gonna get a few lessons when im away as i dont want to pick up bad habits but ill take a few videos and the feedback from that will give me plenty to work on :)

In that second where you feel the inside ski is too slow, take your time and allow both skis to (momentarily!) point downhill as you transfer your weight, instead of shifting too quickly from one to the other :-)

Don't worry we all started somewhere! And the star you are at in your skiing explains a lot.
    Probably a mix of leaning on the inside ski and up and down movement on the ski.

I could write a list of about 10-15 things that every new skier will do at some point, your issue is on that list!

Oops! Sorry delayed refresh, see you already got your answer :-)

• Advertisement

The problem is a lag on the inside ski , this issue is caused bye one of a number of issues above the fall line and prior to the turn. The fix is during the initiation phase of the turn. But all hypothetical until Insee some video!

Thanks for the advice , cant wait to get away.
    Want to spend less time tearing down the slope and more time improving technique this year.
    I understand what both of you are saying and it gives me something to work on. I can imagine being more patient through the turn and working on body movement.
    I've read if you pick up the bad habits they are hard to break and you get stuck in intermediate mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Dublin imo. Cheaper, you'll have somewhere to bring it back to if it fails and there'll be loads of brands in europe you'll have never heard of and won't know if they're good or bad.

Just realised i have a video from the dry slope , im crap on it so cant put it up for public viewing lol
    Dry slope is so hard to carve on so i just skid down all over the place.
    ill send pm fattes

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice , cant wait to get away.
    Want to spend less time tearing down the slope and more time improving technique this year.
    I understand what both of you are saying and it gives me something to work on. I can imagine being more patient through the turn and working on body movement.
    I've read if you pick up the bad habits they are hard to break and you get stuck in intermediate mode.

It's worse than that! You get past intermediate mode but the bad habits remain, so your skill set improves and you get better, but you will be limited on certain circumstances and terrain by bad habits

Hawkwind I used to have the exact same problem as you, not sure how I solved it but I bought a book called the all mountain skier which has improved my skiing multiple fold. There's a chapter on steering which I think is the solution to your problem, it's a little hard to describe in a web post but very simply described in the book. If you have time before your trip see if you can pick up a copy.

Book looks good , no kindle version but will get it on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I could write a list of about 10-15 things that every new skier will do at some point, your issue is on that list!

Would love to see this list Fattes, if you don't mind sharing it with the forum. I too would like to concentrate on technique this year and would love too see the common faults of beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭prunudo

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    In Morzine now, the powder is unreal.

Wish I was still there :(

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Book looks good , no kindle version but will get it on amazon

Might possibly be a bit dated now vis a vis new technology and technique (or maybe there's a new edition?) But it did wonders for my skiing. Maybe I ski like the 80s now.

Advertisement