Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

a148pro wrote: »
    Might possibly be a bit dated now vis a vis new technology and technique (or maybe there's a new edition?) But it did wonders for my skiing. Maybe I ski like the 80s now.

326ef323fbc5ae74fc0127d747072ac0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Book looks good , no kindle version but will get it on amazon

You have mail, and fair play it looks better than you told us all it would :D

Senecio wrote: »
    Would love to see this list Fattes, if you don't mind sharing it with the forum. I too would like to concentrate on technique this year and would love too see the common faults of beginners.

Its not exhaustive but these are the main ones, you will see. Some will become permanent fixtures and stay with people through their ski careers others vanish as they move from snowplough to parallel just by the nature of the change in movements but are replaced by other issues at the next level.

Stance: Feet to wide, Ass to far back, Hands everywhere, Head looking at feet (More important than you think) Has an effect on stance. Rotary movement of shoulders

Movement, None, to much on the wrong directions, badly timed or rushed, completely wrong, Over extension of turning leg, Swinging the hips and ass to force a turn. Pushing the feet away from each other!

Mental; Fear, stress anxiety! Its meant to be fun relax and trust the nice person you are paying a fortune too

326ef323fbc5ae74fc0127d747072ac0.jpg

A friend mine posted this recently with the tag Fundamentals don't change!

Fattes wrote: »
    A friend mine posted this recently with the tag Fundamentals don't change!

Spotted a few of them putting their leading knuckles on the ground as they turned. Never seen that before. Looked like it was helping.

• Advertisement

Spotted a few of them putting their leading knuckles on the ground as they turned. Never seen that before. Looked like it was helping.

More an effect of massive angles and trying to keep their body and skis in the fall line, it's not ideal as if it gets caught you are in serious trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

a148pro wrote: »
    Might possibly be a bit dated now vis a vis new technology and technique (or maybe there's a new edition?) But it did wonders for my skiing. Maybe I ski like the 80s now.

I just sent the local library an online request for it , was over a tenner on Amazon :)

I like the old school books , I'm reading Inner Skiing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Skiing-Gallwey/dp/0679778276

You have mail, and fair play it looks better than you told us all it would :D

Thanks for the advice , im looking forward to trying out the exercises.
    Great to get the feedback , i owe you a pint!

FWT cancelled again today after his happened!!

http://www.skipass.com/news/115179-fwt-l-avalanche-de-julien-lopez.html

I joined it but was too late.

• Advertisement

Ah yesterday here, today is the same snow but clear blue skies

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=779965968718890

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Just back from two weeks in Whistler. flights were a bit messy - missed the connection in Toronto on the way over due to headwinds/cargo door wouldn't open/connection in different terminal and on the way back they lost our board bags - two days later still haven't shown up with two of my babies in my bag..

We were picked up in VC airport and drove up the Sea to Sky Highway in a snow flurry and were staying in a friends apartment in the Whistler Mountain Ski Club, complete with a kitted out gym & 100m from Creekside Goldola.

Our first two days were full of unreal powder - first was quite windy so none of the upper mountain was open. Second day was honestly the best day of off piste I have ever ridden in - constant fresh lines, pillows, drops and tree runs - love that feel boosting over a tree! rest of the week was spent trying to find the odd fresh patch but our minds were turning to the parks. The XL booters under the Cat Skinner chair blew my mind - not for the size of the kickers, but just the volume of talented boarders and skiers hitting them.

Then it got interesting as a big weather front arrived on Friday/Sat but the freezing level was too high and we were hit by the worst rain I have seen in a long time - people were wearing binbags all over the shop! my 20K gear lasted all of one chairlift but we stuck it out to the detriment of my goggle lenses which were like a fish tank by the end of the day. That unfortunately ruined the snowbase for the second week.

We basically lived in the the three parks after that as Spring conditions were in effect - using the Peak 2 Peak cable car to go to whichever one was in the sun to avoid any ice. Reminded me of L2A glacier fun in the sun where it was bulletproof in the morning and super slushy in the afternoons

With the rain etc we branched out a bit and went to the Prior Snowboard factory for a tour, same for Whistler Brewery and we took up Ice Hockey for few evenings which was mental! Coach Bombay is the man!

Managed to break a second snowboard in 5 weeks there doing a hardway270 onto a downbox but when I brought it to the shop they discovered another issue where the dye cut was popping out of the base which I think is going to be covered by the 5 year K2 Bambooyah Warranty as the issue is coming from some ridge in the core that is now there - that is, I need to get my boardbag back first as it is still MIA

Can't wait to get back up to Kiltiernan now and then off to Livigno for 9 days in Easter

hawkwind23 wrote: »

You should watch this years one! Probably the greatest ski movie ever made! Also Blizzard of Ahhhhhhs, In Deep, Claim, and GNAR

Great video on what happened at the FWT today! Lots of insight and info

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152769194775958

I like all the oldschool ones , remember watching them when cable 1st arrived here :)
    Anyone know where you can stream Blizzard of Ahhs? think its an old vhs one so hard to find a torrent

Good video. Very informative. I seem to find myself reading and watching lots of avi videos and articles. There's something fascinating about it. Going to go looking for courses when I get there.

Did you see he went over that drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

am perusing the "staying alive in avalanche terrain" book, i thought it might be hard going but is written very well and holds my attention, which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Have that too, only ever read a few chapters but really enjoyed it. No harm knowing a bit about avalanches, but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and fundamentally I don't have enough time in my skiing to go dig a snow hole and analyse the snow pack, makes more sense to rely on local expertise

I hope that FWT vid goes viral and people cop the feck on, they move it to another 'safer' mountain, bomb the **** out of it, get the best people in and the best skiers on it and that happens, lesson to us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

If you love somebody, let them go....

• Advertisement

So one of the lads sent me this today! Conditions on the mountain are me Deep!!

So one of the lads sent me this today! Conditions on the mountain are me Deep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm off to Mayrhofen in the morning until Tuesday. Hoping for some nice sunny days but I just saw that there's a forecast of 26cm of snow on Monday!!!
    https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Mayrhofen_snow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Donie75 wrote: »
    I'm off to Mayrhofen in the morning until Tuesday. Hoping for some nice sunny days but I just saw that there's a forecast of 26cm of snow on Monday!!!

Heading there too on saturday for the week! cant wait for starting with powder days but ye hoping for some sun from tuesday on

So have managed 3,500 vertical meters this am!!! A mix of black and reds! It's weird skiing on piste. It's so busy!!!

So day over 7,200 meters vertical skied hot up to 89kph! Body and knee feel great and managed a few TINY airs!

Some photos of current snow

World cup super G tonight! Bode Miller in his first competitive race back was over a second and a half up when when he had an altercation with a gate that led to this! Jansrud who eventually finished 3rd dislocated his shoulder 4 gates from home but carried on as if nothing had happened.

When bode got to the bottom he was casually chatting to his wife while a medic attended to this wound. Warning the wound is pretty graphic!!

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/bode-miller-crash-video-world-championships-alpine-skiing-super-g/related/

Just replayed on eurosport now , hes great to watch , leaves nothing in the tank.
    But that was a nasty fall, seemed to catch his hand on the gate?

• Advertisement

Hand is the least of his worries have a look at his calf on the link I posted! But no drama casually doing interviews and chats while a medic treats him!!

Meet him a few times a complete gent and great craic to be around

Advertisement