Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

just seen it! ouch , fair play to him for brushing it off lol.
    Be the sort of one you would faint when you seen it.
    On an aside , SVindel just went 1st , impressive and gotta fancy him for the downhill now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    just seen it! ouch , fair play to him for brushing it off lol.
    Be the sort of one you would faint when you seen it.
    On an aside , SVindel just went 1st , impressive and gotta fancy him for the downhill now

He was amazing today my money was on Bode and Jansurd!

As for the downhill I would go the same again depending on Bode's calf and Jansrud's shoulder

Svindal gave himself another arss craic on the birds of prey a few years ago and almost bled to death on the hill!!! He has never really performed well on the hill since and tends to pull up just before the jump that almost killed him! Todays Super G was nasty very bumpy, and lots of compressions! Made for great TV though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

For those of you that got the prizm goggles, are they worth the investment? I'm thinking about getting a rose one for low/flat light. I have hi yellow already, but think this might be a better all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

For those of you that got the prizm goggles, are they worth the investment? I'm thinking about getting a rose one for low/flat light. I have hi yellow already, but think this might be a better all rounder.

Mine let me down after a day but Oakley did replace them. I had to buy a persimmon lens at the time to replace it which ironically is what I sold when I got the prizm. Couldn't say if it's a better all rounder over others but the colour looks nice. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Don't know if this was posted already but:

• Advertisement

I got them and used them on 2 trips. Found them very good all rounder but I don't have the hi yellow to compare to. I used them constantly which I was surprised at, I thought when the sun came out id have to change but I never felt the need.

In very flat, poor light I still struggled to see the slope surface so they are no magic bullet.

The regular Rose lens is the best all round one they do haven't used Prisim lenses yet.

Absolute glorious day to be teaching nice wide empty slopes

Photo would help

Some cheeky afternoon bumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Unreal pictures Fattes. Is there a term for a skiing/boarding addiction, powder fever maybe?? Whatever it is, these images really get the fever burning.

It's hard to get a sense of just how steep the slope is in the first image, but as a beginner, that's exactly the type of terrain I hope to improve my skiing on. Steep and bumpy.

• Advertisement

Slope is 28-32 degrees, (red- black gradient) it's an old off piste route that they now patrol and control but don't piste! Normally moguls everywhere but they were soft and nice, and plenty playful today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bad experience today, fattes wondering am I overreacting? In cervinia light fresh snow all day, no viz but had a ball. on last lift with mate up just the two of us on entire big cable car, sun comes out, finally some vis, cut the side of the piste slightly onto some deep off piste, one or two tracks in front of me, bang, skis hit something underneath, possibly the hard pack of the side of the piste.

I face plant at decent speed. This is about third time today, changed skis as they were sinking and tripping me, new fatter skis great (Rossignol season 7 I think) no more face planting until this.

I go deep into the powder head first, snow into my lungs, can't breathe, can barely move my arms I'm under the snow, panic a bit, manage to get hands moving from elbows on locked, get hands above surface, still can't breathe then dig my head out, cough and splutter the snow out of my lungs and can breathe head facing down the slope. Takes me a while to get upright. I have poles but no skis. My mate doesn't know i've fallen and is gone. Takes me a full hour to get my skis out, piste control comes along thank **** (we were absolute last on piste, top lift on cervinia side 3300 meters approximately) he probes for ages and I spend 25 mins digging down to what turns out to be a rock, eventually find the skis not too deep down close to where I originally fell (piste dude thought they'd have gone on). Very hard compacted snow beside one of them hence why I think I face planted.

Anyway was happy to walk down the piste think some of the refuges are attended, that wasn't what freaked me out, but if I think if I was going a bit faster I would have been upside down and found it extremely ****ing difficult to extract myself, piste control were a good twenty minutes after me and would not have seen me if I hadn't been standing. Would have been such a pointless way to go.

Just wondering is this standard, hitting deep snow, snow in lungs finding it difficult to get yourself out? A little further in and I don't think I'd have gotten out.

I seem to remember a british girl dying in chamonix fell off the side of the piste into deep snow couldn't self extract and wasn't found.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not letting it get to me, booked guide tomorrow for some proper action just want to know if I'm over reacting or was it actual close call.

a148pro wrote: »
    I seem to remember a british girl dying in chamonix fell off the side of the piste into deep snow couldn't self extract and wasn't found.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not letting it get to me, booked guide tomorrow for some proper action just want to know if I'm over reacting or was it actual close call.

Rossi Soul 7's Yellow tips or Sin 7's red tips! Both great skis and perfect for what you are trying! Really playful and fun! Loved them on the ski tests last year!

It happens mate and yes you are over reacting but so does everybody when it happens first! We have all been there! The lost skis the first burial and the difficulty of getting air, and getting out!

For the lost skis they are as a rule normally above where you arrest after the fall! That said I spent 30 min probing for a scandinavians skis last year only to ski over them about 200 meters down the slope after giving up! You can pick up products like powder tracers to ensure you dont lose them or just crank up the bindings!

The more you ski snow like that and the more experience you have the less you will panic, or worry about the kind of experience you had today. The better you will deal with it and the more efficient you will become at resolving it! Trust me I have eaten an awful lot of snow to get where I am today. Be safe and have fun tomorrow with the guide, ask questions and learn from them, they tend to be more talkative when you pay for lunch! :D

Hope the sun is bright and the powder is bitching in the morning for you

"Fattes wrote: »
    Trust me I have eaten an awful lot of snow to get where I am today.

Quote of the year!

Thanks fattes, that'll calm me down. Guide only booked for the half day but can easily see that being stretched into the full

So much of skiing is about feel and sadly to get that feel you have to learn by doing! And to learn well you will make lots of mistakes and spend more time face down in the snow!

Be safe and learn and it will be amazing ! You will never look back

One thing that will always stick with me is an instructor saying if you aren't falling over then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

One thing that will always stick with me is an instructor saying if you aren't falling over then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

Kind off but then again of you are falling to often your instructor is not doing their job!!!

You will fall but it should not be continuous and exhaust you, it should be in a relatively controlled and safe environment!

Fattes wrote: »
    Kind off but then again of you are falling to often your instructor is not doing h

This was my second week on the slopes and I hadn't fell :). I've made up for it lots since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I remember the first time i ate it so bad i couldnt breathe. Coming down thru the trres in courmayeur and this clown french dude comes to a dead stop in front of me. I bailed to avoid him but went head first into a 2 feet of pow and tangled my board up on 2 small enough shrub bushes.

Couldnt breathe and coukdnt move. Bad sh1t.
    Still if thats the worst thing that ever happens to me ill be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

just watching dh practice in beaver creek, does anyone know what all the lads hanging in the trees are at? don't seem to be photographers?

Womens downhill was good , cracking between Maze and Fennniger with Vonn nowhere.

Mens looks good too , i wasnt so sure on Janstrud after the injury but it didnt bother him in practice so hes obvious choice
    But i think the Austrians have a chance , the Austrian team have been on fire all week so im opting for Riecheld or Mayer to get it , would love to see Svindal do well after his big crash here last time so a Norweigan 1-2 would be good too.

Gonna be a cracker , on Eurosport around half 5

just watching dh practice in beaver creek, does anyone know what all the lads hanging in the trees are at? don't seem to be photographers?

Coaches!!

Not a bad day, not a bad day at all

Fattes wrote: »
    Not a bad day, not a bad day at all

I've had a dodgy knee and been really busy in work, so haven't really been looking forward to this years trip, but those pictures have just put a massive smile on my face. Roll on 2 weeks!

I've had a dodgy knee and been really busy in work, so haven't really been looking forward to this years trip, but those pictures have just put a massive smile on my face. Roll on 2 weeks!

If it helps I am 4.5 weeks after a dislocated patella! Almost skiing at 100% all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Extreme Sports Channel, Travellers with skis, worth a watch. 3 fins skiing around the world, interesting lads, kind of combination of skiing and a decent travel programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Extreme Sports Channel, Travellers with skis, worth a watch. 3 fins skiing around the world, interesting lads, kind of combination of skiing and a decent travel programme.

Thought you meant pikies. A little disappointed if I'm honest.

Downhill was the swiss!
    next time Fattes we want the inside info to stick a few quid on lol :)
    Svindal had a great run , Austrians nowhere :(

• Advertisement

I just saw a report of a fatal avalanche in La Plagne today. Not much info but involved staff of one of the local ski schools :(

Advertisement