Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

olaola wrote: »
    Ah sure, you might spot us around! Have you been before?

Yeah all bar the baby can ski here.

Its 2 yrs since we were on the slopes and will be putting the 5 kids into ski school the eldest will get 3 days the next 2 will get 5 days and the baby who is 3 and a half will do 6 days.

We will be looking for a Chalet next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

It's mad the difference a couple of days make. I sold a pair of boots to someone on Christmas Eve who was flying to engelberg today and I was telling him about watching the ski jumping last Sunday and how green it was!

Ha ha yeah I was actually on TV for that as part of the slip crew :)

This was the village tonight it has not stopped snowing and we have another 24 hours of it so looking good

A shot from Matilda Rapaport taken this afternoon in the resort here !

Winter is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

dzer2 wrote: »

Its 2 yrs since we were on the slopes and will be putting the 5 kids into ski school the eldest will get 3 days the next 2 will get 5 days and the baby who is 3 and a half will do 6 days.

That's nuts!!!

I'm pulling my hair out trying to work the sums on bringing three kids and herself! Fair play its some commitment.

Mine are 6, 4 and 2.5 so I was thinking next year is the year. I'm stuck with school hols though, pricey times.

Ideas anyone?

That's nuts!!!

I'm pulling my hair out trying to work the sums on bringing three kids and herself! Fair play its some commitment.

Mine are 6, 4 and 2.5 so I was thinking next year is the year. I'm stuck with school hols though, pricey times.

Ideas anyone?

Good planning, there will be resorts that offer free child care and lift passes some even offer free food for kids it's all about finding the hidden extras. Austria and some of the French resorts are family orientated. Some of the Italian ones too that will be cheaper

Still snowing here my balcony this am

That's nuts!!!

Ideas anyone?

Good planning, there will be resorts that offer free child care and lift passes some even offer free food for kids it's all about finding the hidden extras. Austria and some of the French resorts are family orientated. Some of the Italian ones too that will be cheaper

Still snowing here my balcony this am

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Friends of me be with their 2 teenage kids headed to Val Thorens yesterday. The snow closed the roads and about fter 8 hours on the transfer bus they were going to be acomadated in a school overnight. Sounds like a lot of people in the same boat in France arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

That's nuts!!!

Ideas anyone?

Easter is early next year (2015), would you be able to plan a trip for then? You'll get cheaper lift passes, accom etc at that stage, it tends to be fairly quiet.

I LOVE Easter skiing! And the Austrians go all out for traditional Easter too, the kids will love it :)

That's nuts!!!

Ideas anyone?

We have being doing it for some time now we rent an apartment and fly Ryanair.
    In Kitzbuhel they have a snow fun package you get 20% discount on lessons and equipment hire. You will only need a lift pass for the eldest child. The youngest might be strong enough for lessons next yr. Up until this yr we used go Wednesday to Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

dzer2 wrote: »

Oh fab! I might be picking your brains about bringing kids to the slopes - yourself & fannymcgee should do a thread on it. I'll keep an eye out for ye.

• Advertisement

Great idea Olaola- DONE! :-)

Well the powder skis have to wait! Despite the storm still raging today I became a statistic! Had lessons either end of the resort today and while finishing one and walking to the other I slipped and dislocated and relocated my Patella in one fall!! All going well 4 weeks recovery but could be 6 cest la vie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ah that's sh!t Fattes, hope it's not too painful and you're back on the slopes as soon as possible.

What's does that mean work wise, obviously no lessons but is there anything else that could be done.

Fattes wrote: »
    Well the powder skis have to wait! Despite the storm still raging today I became a statistic! Had lessons either end of the resort today and while finishing one and walking to the other I slipped and dislocated and relocated my Patella in one fall!! All going well 4 weeks recovery but could be 6 cest la vie!

Oh God sorry to hear that- it happens so bloody easily! Hope you have a quick & uneventful recovery. And on the upside, at least you were wearing nice white socks ;)

Thats tough Fattes best of luck with the recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

That sucks fattes sorry to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

tough luck fattes, hopefully you'll be able to weightbear on it quicker than the 4 weeks. I'll send a bottle of poitin over to ya to rub in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Sorry to hear that Fattes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Crap man sorry to hear that. your posts have brightened this place up so much!
    As a matter of iterest what lessons do you take at your level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Sorry to hear that Fattes , hope you get back on the skis soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

sallymomo wrote: »
    Good news for those further South in the Alps, Isola 2000 is the only French Ski station currently fully open http://www.nicematin.com/vallees/ski-isola-2000-seule-station-francaise-ouverte-a-100.2027867.html
    I do believe temperatures are to rise by a few degrees in the next few days but hopefully it won't take effect.
    A friend who lives in Nice is hoping to get up there on Saturday for the day before coming home for 10 days at Christmas - I'll report any findings here!

Oh, have you been to Isola 2000 yourself? Is it worth visiting? A friend has a place about 50 mins drive away, but never goes there outside of April - Sept. Would be interested to know what it's like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Donkey balls. My go to phrase. Clean socks. Very important. :)

Thanks guys not the worst injury, more frustrating as to how it happened! Yep I slipped walking down the street scarlet for ya!

We have bluebird and chest deep to his am and I am elevating and icing! Thankfully some nice people brought me breakfast on the way to the lift

http://www.womenshealth.se/blogs/matilda/neck-deep.htm?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

That's nuts!!!

Ideas anyone?

We've been stuck with school holidays for the last 10 years or so. The prices can be eye watering alright.

Some (most?) resorts have family packages on lift passes & equipment hire. For example in Kitzbuhel it's something like pay for 2 adults and your first kid then the others are free on the lifts. Intersports (I think) offer free adult ski hire when you rent the kids gear with them. Or maybe it's the other way around, but free hire is money saved.

I always warn against the tour operators for families as they don't pass on accommodation discounts and often don't have family rooms. Contact the hotels directly - many of them will have good discounts for school children and will also have apartments or larger family rooms not available via the tour companies.

Look into alternatives to flying to the 'normal' airports like Salzburg for Austria. We often head out somewhere on the Friday, stay over night en-route and get to the resort while the tour companies are still sticking people on buses in the airport. This alone can save a significant wodge. Flights to Salzburg can set you back over €2,000 for a family of 4 before you see any snow. Choosing alternative airports can see that price more like €750 or less.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    We've been stuck with school holidays for the last 10 years or so. The prices can be eye watering alright.

Some (most?) resorts have family packages on lift passes & equipment hire. For example in Kitzbuhel it's something like pay for 2 adults and your first kid then the others are free on the lifts. Intersports (I think) offer free adult ski hire when you rent the kids gear with them. Or maybe it's the other way around, but free hire is money saved.

I always warn against the tour operators for families as they don't pass on accommodation discounts and often don't have family rooms. Contact the hotels directly - many of them will have good discounts for school children and will also have apartments or larger family rooms not available via the tour companies.

Look into alternatives to flying to the 'normal' airports like Salzburg for Austria. We often head out somewhere on the Friday, stay over night en-route and get to the resort while the tour companies are still sticking people on buses in the airport. This alone can save a significant wodge. Flights to Salzburg can set you back over €2,000 for a family of 4 before you see any snow. Choosing alternative airports can see that price more like €750 or less.

z

That sounds like an awful lot for flights to Salzburg, Zagmund- do you fly from Dublin? I find it's usually around the €150 mark to either Salzburg or Munich once it's booked in advance. Kids go free with an adult on the train from Munich to Kufstein too, so only costs €25 each way for the transfer. Skiwelt do a free kids pass with the adult pass in low season, every little helps! ;)

• Advertisement

Yep, flying from Dublin in mid-term week. I know I could get it (and accommodation) cheaper other weeks, but mid-term is when we are free.

I've been keeping a rough eye on Skyscanner for a while and the prices do move a bit but I thought it was normally in or around that.

z
    fannymagee wrote: »
    That sounds like an awful lot for flights to Salzburg, Zagmund- do you fly from Dublin? I find it's usually around the €150 mark to either Salzburg or Munich once it's booked in advance. Kids go free with an adult on the train from Munich to Kufstein too, so only costs €25 each way for the transfer. Skiwelt do a free kids pass with the adult pass in low season, every little helps! ;)

Hmm, so it looks like my figure of ~2K for flights for a family of 4 might be a little high. I've just checked again and it looks more like €1,200-€1,300 with Ryanair at the moment for that week. I had the figure of ~€250 per person per direction in my head, but it looks more like €250 return per person, plus bags. The message still stands though - think outside the box when it comes to how to get to the resort and you can save money.

z

[edit] I've had a quick look back through the Skyscanner alerts and flights for that week have varied quite considerably. I'll have a bash at putting it into a table and into another thread for future reference rather than cluttering up this thread. Back in early November for example, the flights were €392 per person, plus another €50 for bags.

zagmund wrote: »
    Hmm, so it looks like my figure of ~2K for flights for a family of 4 might be a little high. I've just checked again and it looks more like €1,200-€1,300 with Ryanair at the moment for that week. I had the figure of ~€250 per person per direction in my head, but it looks more like €250 return per person, plus bags. The message still stands though - think outside the box when it comes to how to get to the resort and you can save money.

z

[edit] I've had a quick look back through the Skyscanner alerts and flights for that week have varied quite considerably. I'll have a bash at putting it into a table and into another thread for future reference rather than cluttering up this thread. Back in early November for example, the flights were €392 per person, plus another €50 for bags.

You're dead right about thinking outside the box, even if it means going on a different day & overnighting. The most I've ever paid for a flight to get to Soll was €360, and that was for New Years 2011, I booked it just the week before. I was RAGING haha ;) Like you I'm tied to school holidays when I travel with my son, but I'm lucky to not be tied to Saturdays, so maybe that's the difference. I just booked Munich flights for Feb though, and it was €113 return (no bags), outbound flight is a Saturday. Maybe SkyScanner is pushing the prices up? If you can use Munich at all I find it MUCH better. More flights, better times, easier transfers, regular Aer Lingus sales ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

A shot from Matilda Rapaport taken this afternoon in the resort here !

Winter is on

That's a great shot, best I've seen of the new season so far!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, will be missing the snow and pics updates from the mountain. On the bright side, if it was Ireland you'd prob still be on a trolley in A&E at this point....

Getting some powder turns in the village

Fell at 12:10, booked doctors at 13:30 was x-rayed, braced and leaving with drugs bandages and a MRI appointment for Wed by 15:00!!

• Advertisement

Fell at 12:10, booked doctors at 13:30 was x-rayed, braced and leaving with drugs bandages and a MRI appointment for Wed by 15:00!!

That's pretty good going.

I cheated with my last injury and sent a copy of the dicom images home to an ortho that works in my place. He confirmed it was ok and recast it when I got into work.

I'm sure you'll turn it around in the 4 weeks unless you attempt something you know you shouldn't.

In other news my new Oakley Prizm Splice are junk. They started fogging yesterday afternoon in between the two lenses. I had to buy a new lens today as I couldn't see a thing even after drying them out. Boarding without googles is not safe. :eek:

Ooh AlternateID, do you work in Ortho?! We may have passed like ships in the night lol ;-)

That's pretty good going.

I cheated with my last injury and sent a copy of the dicom images home to an ortho that works in my place. He confirmed it was ok and recast it when I got into work.

I'm sure you'll turn it around in the 4 weeks unless you attempt something you know you shouldn't.

In other news my new Oakley Prizm Splice are junk. They started fogging yesterday afternoon in between the two lenses. I had to buy a new lens today as I couldn't see a thing even after drying them out. Boarding without googles is not safe. :eek:

Prizm's are no good that is disappointing! Was looking at them myself

This was taken on the hill today

http://instagram.com/p/xMkggklbXF/

Prizm's are no good that is disappointing! Was looking at them myself

This was taken on the hill today

Awesome shot.

I probably got a bad lens. Will get onto them when I get home. Might send them the bill for the persimmon I had to buy.

Sorry fanny I'm an IT guy but know a lot of consultants where I work. I'll make fog horn sounds when I drop into the mill tomorrow.

Ah ok- I'll make foghorn sounds next time I'm in Cappagh/Santry. You'll find me there before you find me in the mill lol ;-)

Still bloody snowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

Glad to see the injury hasn't taken the smilie from your face :D

jvan wrote: »
    Glad to see the injury hasn't taken the smilie from your face :D

Sure I have no reason not to smile, I am in Heaven

Sadly not me

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=924042794272501

Crap, sorry to hear that. I've bought the Rose Prizm to replace my Persimmon in my Crowbar lens.... Haven't seen fog between lenses before so hopefully Oakley will replace them for you. I won't get a chance to try them out before the end of Jan but I'll report back on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Get fixed soon fattes, really impressed with how stoically you're taking it but I suppose that's the approach of a man who spends all year skiing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

olaola wrote: »
    Oh, have you been to Isola 2000 yourself? Is it worth visiting? A friend has a place about 50 mins drive away, but never goes there outside of April - Sept. Would be interested to know what it's like!

Olaola
    Yep, I have been, if you have a base close by its worth a visit as theres a good variety of slopes and good snow coverage.
    There's a small thread on here somewhere
    Is you friend based in France? If so, Auron is only down the road too...
    If on the Italian side you have Limone, my favourite which hasn't been the beneficiary of the recent dumps - my wifes uncle is there and luckily there are a few slopes open but lower slopes are closed due to receding snow and clear blue skies :-(
    However, Isola still has decent coverage.
    It's not the most attractive resort but I heard the other day from my friend based in Nice that they have given it somewhat of a face lift.
    It's easy to get to and as I say a variety of slopes so worth a short stay.

Feel free to send me any more questions you might have.

Fattes, really sorry to hear that, nightmare. I hope your healing is as good as your positive attitude, you will be back up in no time

stevire wrote: »
    Crap, sorry to hear that. I've bought the Rose Prizm to replace my Persimmon in my Crowbar lens.... Haven't seen fog between lenses before so hopefully Oakley will replace them for you. I won't get a chance to try them out before the end of Jan but I'll report back on them

I'm convinced it was a bad lense or from a bad batch. The fogging reminded me of doing chemistry tests in petri dishes back in school. The substance would start as a little dot in the centre and then balloon in size. Persimmon were epic today. No problems.

I can see Fattes back on the mountain in 4 weeks.

Well I am not missing anything am I??

http://instagram.com/p/xRiTN2EP_M/

My latest purchase that I could obviously never do without!! I am looking forward to trying these though, generally takes a day or two to stop the soreness in the feet from the boots.

fdiPKB2l.jpg

Does anyone know where my passport is?!!!!!!!!

found it!!

Well I am not missing anything am I??

http://instagram.com/p/xRiTN2EP_M/

looks shiote fattes! :D

nah ye wouldn't like that at all!

It wouldn't suit you.

(if that doesn't work try closing your eyes and putting you hands over your ears and shout 'LA LA LA' while watching that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Fattes looking at a 5 day hit and run to engleberg mid jan. 40 eur return flights to basel. think its only a couple of hours train from there. Would you recommend any snowboard lessons there? Looking to do some snowpark stuff... Cheers...

Hunting for a balaclava today as off to Cervinia shortly, may be warm but may also be up to 3800m and some talk of an exposed drag lift into Zermatt so wouldn't mind the option

Preference for a balaclava which doesn't stink of oil (last one I bought in Portes du Soleil) and which doesn't fog up my goggles (any I've ever used)

53 degrees have all these:

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=all&q=balaclava

Great outdoors have this:-

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=146&products_id=235568

Anyone have any experience of either?

Of those two, I much prefer a silk balaclava- heavier material gets too wet with your breath, and then freezes again so very uncomfortable. Depends how cold you're expecting it to be though.

I generally use two buffs, one on my head, and one pulled up over my face & ears. Much more flexible, and you can turn it around if it gets damp. You can also get ones that are half cloth half fleece, they're great.

• Advertisement

Thanks fanny - posted that in wrong thread! Meant for general banter to get more traffic

Advertisement