Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aeropress Filters, need to buy some.. also quick review after 1 year of use.

• 30-09-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Its officially been 1 year and 1 month since I purchased my Aeropress and I'm finally nearly out of filters! :eek:

So I'm going into town tomorrow for a meeting near Talbot street. I cant stay long as I need to go to another meeting elsewhere pretty much straight after it unfortunately.

I was thinking Vice as my closest option to get a set of filters.

What time do they open and do they sell them?

I dont fancy paying shipping costs online if possible.

Seen as I've had it over a year a quick review..

Firstly I really could not be happier with the device.

Its easy to use, easy to clean and serioulsy quick to brew a fantastically clean cup of coffee which I need for mornings going to work.

Its also showing no signs of wear after a year of use. I use it every morning and it also comes on hols with me in the bag so gets fired about a bit.

If it ever broke I'd be out the same day to purchase a new one.

Anyone without one of these devices is completely mental imo.

There are questions all the time here about what machine to buy or how to get a foot on the quality coffee ladder so to speak.

I know its been said before but its worth saying again.

The answer is buy an Aeropress and a manual grinder. You will not regret it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes. Vice sell them. Bought them there two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Planet X wrote: »
    Yes. Vice sell them. Bought them there two weeks ago.

Cool thanks. Dont suppose you remember what they charged you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Could've been about €6.

Fair play to ya thanks a mil.

I know its only a couple of quid cheaper than the likes of amazon but sure its money in my pocket and supporting an Irish biz.

Lets be fair I'll spend more on coffee when I'm there too! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Recently, the boiler in my Gaggia Classic blew. We were waiting a while for the new boiler to arrive and I was missing my after dinner espresso. I borrowed an aeropress from a friend.
    What I came to realise is that I'm addicted to espresso rather than coffee. The aeropress just didn't do it for me. Yes, it's quick, relatively unmessy and produces a nice clean cup but it just couldn't replace my beloved espresso. Even after a couple of weeks, I was disappointed with every cup. Maybe it's just too clean for me!

It is a great bit of kit but I wish they'd stop calling it an espresso maker.

Anyway boiler arrived, got fitted and all is well with the world again.

• Advertisement

Recently, the boiler in my Gaggia Classic blew. We were waiting a while for the new boiler to arrive and I was missing my after dinner espresso. I borrowed an aeropress from a friend.
    What I came to realise is that I'm addicted to espresso rather than coffee. The aeropress just didn't do it for me. Yes, it's quick, relatively unmessy and produces a nice clean cup but it just couldn't replace my beloved espresso. Even after a couple of weeks, I was disappointed with every cup. Maybe it's just too clean for me!

It is a great bit of kit but I wish they'd stop calling it an espresso maker.

Anyway boiler arrived, got fitted and all is well with the world again.

Glad to hear your espresso machines back up and running. Not nice to be without espresso alright. My espresso machines on the way out at the moment. I'm saving for a xmas present to me scenario. :D

I hear your arguement against the Aeropress being called an espresso maker. Its not. I agree.

That said it makes the cleanest cup of coffee I've ever had though.

Essentially its a filter/french press hybrid.

I love my espresso as much as the next coffee addict/fan but theres times when I'd rather sip away a nice mug of coffee. For this reason I find the Aeropress amazing.
    And also from a time/effort point of view in the morning its perfect for me. I'd forget to put the espresso machine on and I'd feel like I'm rushing it into me before leaving the house.

But look its not for everyone. Your just aeropress...ist :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Aeropress is definitely a ritual, alright. I find, though, that I have trouble maintaining consistency of flavour. I stick to the same timings, grind size and measurements. The only variable I can think of is water temperature. I haven't a thermometer, so I can't control that. I usually pour freshly boiled water into a cold ceramic jug and then into the Aeropress (I found if I left it in the jug for too long, it cooled down too much).

I mean, sometimes I'm on form and give myself a pat on the back for an amazing brew. Other times, it's just such a disappointment. I'm afraid to open my bags of The Barn and bonanza coffee I got in Berlin for this reason.

Agreed, though. It totally isn't an espresso maker (chalk that one up to Aerobie's bad marketing department), but still, I think it can create a strong espresso-style shot pretty convincingly. It's just that it excels at making light, aromatic, delicious black filter coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I've had my Aeropress for nearly 2 years now and agree with all the above. I too struggle to get consistency but I don't have a burr grinder or thermometer so I can't really complain. Christmas presents to myself maybe.

In regard to espresso though I'm the opposite of the poster above. As much as I'm addicted to my clean Aeropress mug of coffee and as much as I've tried to get into espresso I just can't. Actually, the nicest coffee I ever experienced was a pour over in Clement & Pekoe so I guess I just enjoy my coffee cleaner and lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to chime in - I was using a Gaggia Classic daily until I got an Aeropress, and have only used it a handful of times in the 6 months or so since.

I like an espresso after a meal but I wouldn't really be pushed otherwise, and the Aeropress to me makes a better mug of coffee than the Gaggia would make an Americano. Have considered selling the Gaggia recently even as it's not getting any use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I've an Aeropress for about the 9 months and echo all the above sentiments. We have a pretty pricey Nespresso machine in the office (about €300 or so), but the Aeropress knocks it out of the park. That could be down to me using 3FE beans and grinding them myself prior to brewing with the Aeropress, but either way - it would be a same day purchase for me too.

To the OP: I went with the metal filter for the Aeropress and find it just as consistent, etc. as the paper filters. One less thing to worry about running out of, in my opinion. It cleans just as easily as the rest of the device too. I'd also recommend the rubber cap that sits on the "open" end of the Aeropress. Makes plunging more comfortable but it allows you to use the hollow inside of the plunger as an area to hold beans (ground or otherwise) if you're heading to work, etc.

I use a Hario Skerton burr grinder for the beans. It's a bit of work, but as someone aluded to above, it's part of the ritual. Here's a question for anyone who manually grinds with an Aeropress: Does anyone grind the night before instead of just prior to brewing? I know that hardcore coffee folks would insist this is sacrilege, but I'm not *overly* picky. In my mind, there are plenty of other variables that could affect the coffee (water / milk temperature, consistency of grind, brew time by 10 seconds or so) and none of these make SO much of a difference that I would mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement