Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue tie in 6 year old

Options
  • 30-09-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi
    wonder if anyone has any insight through experience.... I took my dd, she is 6 to dentist today. The main reason is that her adult teeth on the bottom had come up behind her milk teeth and the milk teeth are not wobly at all, staying put. The dentist explained about the jaw developing at a certain rate and measured her jaw and told me her bottom jaw is not the size it should be for 6 year old, he then followed to tell me she is tongue tied and that is why the bottom jaw is not developing as it should. This caused the adult teeth to come behind and if not corrected, she will end up with the upper and lower jaw developing at different rates causing her to need braces in the future. He suggested referral to dental hospital to have her tongue tie corrected and the 2 bottom milk teeth extracted to give room for the adult teeth to move forward.
    I have heard of tongue tie, but usually in a concept of breastfeeding, trouble latching on etc.
    I brestfed my dd till she was year and half, she never had trouble latching on, she was in fact a great baby to breastfeed. My ds was a different story...
    Has anyone ever had this procedure done on an older child and did it make any noticeable difference to teeth? It seems logical but strange at the same time if you know what I mean. I am scarred for my dd and how upset she will be. I looked in my ds mouth and he looks to be the same as my dd to make matters worse, so he may be tongue tied too....Any advice would be much appreciated.
    My main concern is that correction is not neccessary, and the dentist is using this method to refer more patients to dental hospital for a commission,. Would not be the first time. Since the dentist charges me €150 for the referral and the consultant will charge further €100...

Advertisement