Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Cancellation - 1 day requirement?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,

I was going to cancel DD online but then I noticed this: "This request should be initiated 1 working day prior to the next schedule date of payment in order to ensure successful processing."

Does that mean that I need to sit and wait and only cancel 1 day before the DD is going to be deducted?? Makes no sense at all so just checking or did you miss "....at least..." there before "1 working day"?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi there,

I was going to cancel DD online but then I noticed this: "This request should be initiated 1 working day prior to the next schedule date of payment in order to ensure successful processing."

Does that mean that I need to sit and wait and only cancel 1 day before the DD is going to be deducted?? Makes no sense at all so just checking or did you miss "....at least..." there before "1 working day"?

Cheers
    Hi thepresident,

Thanks for getting in touch on Boards.

Your request to cancel a DD can be submitted through 365 Online at any stage. The message you see online is just to let you know that the request should be initiated a minimum of 1 working day prior to the next scheduled payment.

This is to make sure that the DD is cancelled on time.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thepresident

perfect, thanks just wanted to make sure. Perhaps it's worth updating the text to add "minimum" or "at least" 1 day as it's rather confusing. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

perfect, thanks just wanted to make sure. Perhaps it's worth updating the text to add "minimum" or "at least" 1 day as it's rather confusing. Thanks again
    Hi thepresident,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll pass this on to our web team for their attention.

If you need help with anything else please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Just an update on this: I cancelled DD online, yet after 3-4 days DD (all details the same as cancelled one, mandate number too) went through! Called BOI and they are looking into it, advised me to fill out the form and take it to their branch or post it to them. What a waste of time, especially when everything was done right at my end. You would expect a reputable and customer focused bank to take ownership of this problem and sort it out themselves without involving me further since it's their mistake.

Just a warning to anyone that this is not working as supposed to and even if you've done everything at your end and on time to cancel the DD, it may still go through. One other thing I found out in the process is that even if you cancel DD, the company may still charge you if if they change the mandate number (not in my case), so beware that cancelling it does not guarantee that you will not be charged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi thepresident, 

Thank you for coming back to us here on Boards.ie.

We are sorry to hear of the frustration you have experienced with cancelling your SEPA Direct Debit. Please be assured that once we receive a cancellation request we will action this within 24 hours as per SEPA guidelines. As we don't have account access here, we are unable to confirm the current status of this Direct Debit however, we are sure that our BOI365 team will fully investigate this for you and get back to you as soon as possible.

When completing the SEPA DD Cancellation Form it is stated that you must also contact the Creditor to advise them of the cancellation. Also, there are several other services that you can avail of with SEPA. For example, you can request a Refund of the Direct Debit  from the creditor, you can also create your own Black or White list for SEPA direct debits.

For more helpful information on the SEPA please see here on our website. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement

Thanks Elaine, just to clarify that I requested to cancel DD online and 3 days later my account was debited again, so apparently cancelling within 24hrs doesn't seem to work. And yes, it was cancelled with the creditor too, 6 days before my account was debited, but I'll take this up with them; however this should not affect the cancellation with the bank - I presume once it's cancelled with the bank it should not go through any more! I'll keep updated here, still haven't heard back from BOI, maybe they are investigating..

Unfortunately I have not heard back from BOI so far and will have to proceed with formal complaint. They did however returned the money after I filled out DD refund form but no explanation how the DD went through in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi thepresident,

Thanks for your giving us this update and very sorry to hear that you have not heard back yet.

We would like to help resolve this for you here. If you would like to send us a Private Message with your name, contact number and account holding branch, we can arrange for your branch to contact you with regards to this.
    To send a private message, please click the link on my signature below. You will need to have signatures set to display and private messages enabled in your own Boards control panel settings.

However if you wish to proceed with your complaint, please find our Complaint Procedure here.

Please let us know if you need help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

I just wanted to share my experience with other users. I do not have time or energy to continue with this as even after submitting official complaint to BOI they didn't not resolve it. Apparently, their answer was simple - they don't have a record of my online cancellation nor they have any record of my phone call where I was complaining about failure to cancel direct debit afterwards. Now, I'm not sure if this is only me, but surely a BANK should have better systems in place. How on earth they can claim not having a record is beyond my belief. What does their IT department do? If the record was deleted surely this would be recoverable or in case of any glitch - would be in the logs. Can they not check their logs if they claim not having a record of this? Or perhaps they have no logs either.. And how about call records, I even provided date, time and duration of the call yet their response was "we have no record" and "it is the Bank's final response in this matter". I am truly shocked that their excuse is not "having a record" of my cancellation or phone call. Surely a BANK should be THE institution that keeps all the records? Anyway, as I mentioned I have no time or energy to take this further; although I may reconsider in the future.

Advice to anyone is to make screenshots or even record steps on the PC when making any transaction or cancelling direct debit online as if something goes wrong the bank would simply say they "have no record of this and the matter is closed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

I just wanted to share my experience with other users. I do not have time or energy to continue with this as even after submitting official complaint to BOI they didn't not resolve it. Apparently, their answer was simple - they don't have a record of my online cancellation nor they have any record of my phone call where I was complaining about failure to cancel direct debit afterwards. Now, I'm not sure if this is only me, but surely a BANK should have better systems in place. How on earth they can claim not having a record is beyond my belief. What does their IT department do? If the record was deleted surely this would be recoverable or in case of any glitch - would be in the logs. Can they not check their logs if they claim not having a record of this? Or perhaps they have no logs either.. And how about call records, I even provided date, time and duration of the call yet their response was "we have no record" and "it is the Bank's final response in this matter". I am truly shocked that their excuse is not "having a record" of my cancellation or phone call. Surely a BANK should be THE institution that keeps all the records? Anyway, as I mentioned I have no time or energy to take this further; although I may reconsider in the future.

Advice to anyone is to make screenshots or even record steps on the PC when making any transaction or cancelling direct debit online as if something goes wrong the bank would simply say they "have no record of this and the matter is closed".
    Hi thepresident,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We’ll always do our best to find a satisfactory solution for you. We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint.

If you are unhappy with the outcome, you can take your complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman.
    You can find their contact details here.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
Advertisement