Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! In Japan. Can't withdraw cash.

Options
  • 30-09-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Prior to leaving Ireland, I called banking365 to inform BofI that I would be in Japan but I still can't withdraw any cash. I have tried a BOI Visa credit card and a BOI VISA debit card. I want to withdraw 100,000 yen (approx €750).  Both cards have sufficient funds. Have tried Japan Post Office and 7eleven international ATMs. Can you supply specific instructions? I have tried withdrawing 70,000, 80,000, 90,000 and still nothing.

Down to my last 20,000 yen - would appreciate a prompt response.

PS I just read online that maestro cards will not work - are BofI Visa & Mastercards branded as maestro cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi shar01

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties withdrawing cash abroad.

With the Visa Debit Card, a lower daily withdrawal limit abroad can apply for security reasons. In Japan, at a chipped ATM the daily withdrawal limit is E500 and at a non-chipped ATM the daily limit is E250.00 Some ATMs will also set their own limit.

Daily limits on Credit Cards can be located here 

Our best advice is to call Bank of Ireland 365 on 00353 14044000 and allow a colleague to check your account and cards for you. Our colleagues are available now until midnight.

There is no connection with Maestro and Visa Credit/Debit Card.  

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Hi shar01

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties withdrawing cash abroad.

With the Visa Debit Card, a lower daily withdrawal limit abroad can apply for security reasons. In Japan, at a chipped ATM the daily withdrawal limit is E500 and at a non-chipped ATM the daily limit is E250.00 Some ATMs will also set their own limit.

Daily limits on Credit Cards can be located here 

Our best advice is to call Bank of Ireland 365 on 00353 14044000 and allow a colleague to check your account and cards for you. Our colleagues are available now until midnight.

There is no connection with Maestro and Visa Credit/Debit Card.  

Thanks
    Alison
    Many thanks. Will try withdrawing lower amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

750 would be above the limit for most cards when abroad. the limit is usually  a lot lower per day, ie 600 here, 250 abroad depending on country.

Skatedude wrote: »
    750 would be above the limit for most cards when abroad. the limit is usually  a lot lower per day, ie 600 here, 250 abroad depending on country.
    I tried 32,000 yen (about €230) but still didn't work in Post Office & 7/11 ATMs. The issue is chip & pin. Both credit & debit worked in Aeon Bank ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've used BoI and AIB cards in Japan and other places. Maybe try an ATM that carries the same logo as your cards. If you're really stuck western union yourself some pocket money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Have you tried even taking out 20 quid or so? when i was in singapore, the limit per day was 160 euro's cash. no limit for purchases though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi shar01,

Have you managed to withdraw funds or make a purchase using your card?

Thanks
    Tara

Thanks all for your responses. As mentioned above, cards worked in Aeon Atms.

Advertisement