Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishing if use as dwelling has extinguished

Options
  • 30-09-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on the whole area of when the use of a dwelling extinguishes. Property in example has not been lived in for around 12 years, not currently habitable but not derelict either. Walls sound, roof intact and tiled (requires minor repair) but windows all broken. Has electricity to boundary, private well etc. How would you establish if it is still classed as a dwelling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why ?

is this in relation to property tax. Bit more context woudl be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

D3PO wrote: »
    why ?

is this in relation to property tax. Bit more context woudl be nice.

No, its exempt from property tax. Its a property we are considering buying and restoring but we were told that the property can be classed as no longer being a dwelling if uninhabited/derelict for a certain period of time and you would then have to apply for planning permission to have the use reinstated.

Chiorino wrote: »
    No, its exempt from property tax. Its a property we are considering buying and restoring but we were told that the property can be classed as no longer being a dwelling if uninhabited/derelict for a certain period of time and you would then have to apply for planning permission to have the use reinstated.

best bet then is to contact your local planning office for clarification on its status.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

D3PO wrote: »
    best bet then is to contact your local planning office for clarification on its status.

That's one of the things I considered but before I opened that can of worms, potentially making them aware of something they didn't know about, do they keep a register of these type of properties, how are they classed etc?

Chiorino wrote: »
    That's one of the things I considered but before I opened that can of worms, potentially making them aware of something they didn't know about, do they keep a register of these type of properties, how are they classed etc?

No they wouldnt. It wouldnt be possible to administer such a thing, besides which it would be totally relisnt on people advising of property being unihnabited etc.

all you can do is contact them with the details as you know them and get them to then clarify the status.

TBH though unless your plan is to level the place and build something totally different on the footprint there is unlikely to be any issue at all re PP tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

It is called Adverse possession. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nomis21 wrote: »

There buying it

Nomis21 wrote: »

No its not. :rolleyes:

God almighty do you ever read any threads or just imagine what they are about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Would it be wise for the OP to checkout planning permissions of any newer buildings nearby first?

By that I mean check the conditions looking to see if there is a house nearby that was granted permsission on the bases that this one was knocked down or as I have sometimes seen used only as a farm building (like a barn or animal shed).

Advertisement