Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Beach

Options
  • 30-09-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Whats going on with the smell at Blackrock Beach?

The sand and rocks are now a black color, which is very similar to the color and smell down the Naavy Bank

Is this sewage that has been treated and washed up on the beach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Whats going on with the smell at Blackrock Beach?

The sand and rocks are now a black color, which is very similar to the color and smell down the Naavy Bank

Is this sewage that has been treated and washed up on the beach?

"sewage that has been treated" does not smell.

The smell is rotting algae/seaweed.

I suspect that there's been some sort of bloom in algae/seaweed, and that that's why there's more than usual; hence the smell.

Blooms can be caused by a higher than usual amount of pollutants such as agricultural fertilizers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There was an unusually high volume of weed and algae due to the high temperatures this year. It was washed onto the particularly flat shoreline around blackrock, where it lay. It has since rotted and therefore smells at the moment. A bit if rain, wind and high tide should shift it. All quite natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

"sewage that has been treated" does not smell.

I would argue with that

The smell down the Naavy Bank at times is woeful

And this is coming from the stuff that has been treated and pumped back into the river

Glad its not the case in Blackrock, just all the signs pointed to the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cycling through the coast road and sea Road it's bloody vile but as Srameen has said, all very natural.

I would argue with that

And this is coming from the stuff that has been treated and pumped back into the river

Glad its not the case in Blackrock, just all the signs pointed to the same thing
    Argue away. An issue causing a noticeable smell not within the immediate vicinity of the plant would be a pretty catastrophic failure.
    The tide has 2 highs a day, one is higher than the other. Depending on timing it can be a month until the highest tide will be reached again so if a lot of seaweed happens to be washed up during the highest tide it can be a month until it will be washed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I would argue with that

If this was the case then it would hit at least the local media as the EPA would be all over Louth County Council about it.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If this was the case then it would hit at least the local media as the EPA would be all over Louth County Council about it.
    I wouldn't be quite so sure about that tbh. :pac:

Anyway the way the plant works is that the sludge is dried etc. While the smell is stomach-churning it dissipates with relatively short distance. It's basically not possible for the returned water to have a smell anything like what's been happening lately.

And this is coming from the stuff that has been treated and pumped back into the river...

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The smell there is common this time of the year. Look at the beach, it's the seaweed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's them snooty feckers around the Rock that's causing the smell :pac:
    Good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Sea smells like sea shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

How do you know that?

Well I'm certainly not qualified to know for sure, but when its being pumped out, its particularity potent at the pipe, the source of the flow

On top of that, my dog was in the water, and came out black and stinking. You can't tell me that wasn't caused by the treated sewage?

Well I'm certainly not qualified to know for sure, but when its being pumped out, its particularity potent at the pipe, the source of the flow

On top of that, my dog was in the water, and came out black and stinking. You can't tell me that wasn't caused by the treated sewage?

So your answer is "I'm guessing".

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

The smell in the rock is absolutely disgusting, in all the years I've been there it has never been this bad. It's much more than rotten seaweed too, disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mrs W wrote: »
    The smell in the rock is absolutely disgusting, in all the years I've been there it has never been this bad. It's much more than rotten seaweed too, disgusting!

It is not much more than rotten seaweed because that is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It must be bad, I was talkin to a fella last week who was in a pub in Blackrock, and the smell was that bad coming through the pub, that he had to 'close' the window in the toilets!? Now that's bad momma:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The smell is bad but no worse than when farmers are spreading slurry as i'm sure any of us living outside the town have endured certain times of the year.

Advertisement