Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discount/out of date food shops Mayo?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, in the UK there are shops that sell out of date crisps and chocolate for a lot cheaper than the in date stuff. Is there anywhere that does this in Mayo??? (I am between Castlebar and Ballina)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, I wouldn't think so (speciality shops) but sometimes you can find shelves for "close to date" products in the likes of Dunnes/Aldi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Tesco has a "reduced to clear area" where you will find fruit, sandwiches, meat, bread, pastries, etc that are on the last sell by date. Don't think they sell anything past the best by date.

I do often buy pastries or bread as they are baked fresh (from frozen) in the morning and sold for 50-75% off in the evening when I'm in picking up stuff. I'm eating it that evening and not up early enough to buy it fresh so works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

inkdog wrote: »
    Hi all, in the UK there are shops that sell out of date crisps and chocolate for a lot cheaper than the in date stuff. Is there anywhere that does this in Mayo??? (I am between Castlebar and Ballina)

There may be an issue with the EHO on this as they insist that such products are not for for sale and that they be removed from fridges and shelves etc. As such, these shops may not be operating within the current food safety legislation. I am unaware of any in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

The €2 shop on Main St in Castlebar has very good value in branded chocolate and sweets. Supersavers in the N5 Business Park is also quite good. Dunnes stores sometimes has very good offers on confectionery but it varies from month to month.

Advertisement